"Bugsy"....my 8 1/2 year old foster bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, bless his heart. Poor little bun. I'm glad that his owner cared enough about what was best for Bugsy/Benson and didn't put him through the trip. Still...it is just sooooooo sad!

New pictures of Benson :). He is definitely chubby and needs a good diet. I am having a hard time trying to switch his food. I wonder if there is anything I can do for him to help him out more. He hasn't eaten much pellet at all, really. I am thinking tomorrow I will do a pellet mush with canned pumpkin and syringe feed him. I worry that he isn't eating enough at all.

l_d020dad1731c3d6cdd584a615a6f295d.jpg

l_9babd0d45509fda7ab31e1a86735a9e2.jpg

l_c828c3d4d2a9be31eb66ffc33baf6f75.jpg

l_f4b83aa1b949a7cbe9b544371c43d056.jpg

l_385c9b7432f2ecc3ea09b110c0489c3e.jpg

l_e915358848885d111ae57286a2b4dd88.jpg

l_3013f6cf756a99b0cc5970120f4a530a.jpg

l_5c1267da856e6c6bc639d66ee05554d9.jpg

l_57febfbbc425311862708e322c3dd0cd.jpg

l_f7caa84c9aab2e9ac093d1824fa86f41.jpg

l_b771a383a812de0a5e917262e5c00935.jpg

l_1b356cc5d3ba56a1e3cbb99bdf16ea82.jpg

He won't leave his litter box :?. I put his food dish and water bottle in/near his litter box. I want to try to find some sort of litter box that doesn't have a side on the front, so he can hop into it easily. Anyone know of a litter box like this?

About his not eating pellets...every single bun I've brought home refused to eat their pellets the first week they were home. Maybe that's what's going on?

Is he eating his hay?

I would say for now, just keep his environment as stable as possible. It might just be that he's not comfortable coming out of his litterbox right now...as in kinda freaked out by the new home. He was at that guy's home for so long, he might take a bit longer to adjust to a new one.

Yes, he is chubby, though...and I can see that his fur quality isn't the best...that'll all change with time. :)

You're doin' good, Hun...you just keep in mind that you're doing everything for him that he needs right now, and that he's got a great place with you. I know you're fostering him...but that doesn't mean you didn't do a great thing for him, and you'll be remembered for that.

:hug:

He's really cute! I'm looking forward to watching his fur get healthier, seeing him slim down and his eye troubles going away. Does he act excited when he's out of his cage? Is the NIC cage you made him the same one from the pictures you took a couple days ago, or did you make him one like your other bunnies'? If you made one like the other buns, maybe he's staying in his litter box because he can't hop up onto the second level.

I'm really sorry about my blank posts earlier, I don't know what happened, I typed out a whole reply and it didn't work, even when I tried to edit it :(Hopefully this one will work, and mods please feel free to delete the other 2!

What I tried to say was:

Awww, bless him, poor little boy! His fur really does look in bad condition, that food he was on before can't have been doing him any good at all. I'm sure it will change in no time though once he starts eating the Oxbow. Ours took a while to decide to like it, but we were patient and they seem to really like it now.

I don't blame you having the vet do his scent glands either. That's a stinky job! :shock:

Can you get corner litter trays over there? Like this?

20080420225.jpg

They're quite a decent size (over here you can get them in 2 different sizes) and as you can see the front dips down quite a bit, so it's easy to get in and out.

When we first bought Barney home, he spent ALL his time in the litterbox. Literally, all day, and all night! He still spends quite a bit of time sleeping in there, but he's a lot better now. I guess it's some kind of comfort thing, while they get used to new surroundings?

Love the pictures though, seems like you got the bunny butt a few times lol!

Rosie...he is eating hay and I left his cage door open a bit last night and I walked into the room as he was walking out of his cage. I think he is mainly freaked out because he appears to be deaf and he is blind in one eye. I also have my guys in the same room (obviously, hehe)...and he hasn't seen a bunny in years!

Morgan hates Benson, by the way. Benson was playing by Morgan's cage and Morgan ran over and tried to attack him through the cage bars. I have never seen Morgie act so nasty, I was kind of mad at him for being such a jerk.

I cradled Benson like a baby (I saw Peg do this at her house) and syringe fed him some canned pumpkin. He kind of liked it :p. I tried to syringe feed him a pellet mash made from Oxbow pellets, but when I would push down the syringe, water would squeeze out from the smooshed pellets, and that is it. I would love for him to eat some Oxbow now, he just doesn't seem interested in both foods.

I also put some pedialyte in his water.

Shiloh...Yep, he is still in the same cage as the pictures show, but I just put down a weaved carpet and a huge layer of fleece, so it feels more like a carpet then lino flooring....he seems to be hopping out of his litter box more because of this :D.

Mouse...I can get a litter box like that, but they are small (to me, anyway) and cost about $20. I think PetsMart carries a dog litter box that is larger, but I think that is $30 or something. I will have to look into it more because I think this will make getting in and out of the potty box a lot easier on his little old leggies :).

Edit to add: I can't wait until we go to the vet on Saturday morning. I do hear some slight wheezing coming from him when he breathes. I wonder if it could just be his breathing because he is a bit chubby or if he has a respiratory infection going on? He definitely needs drops or something for his little blind eye, it keeps watering and I had to wet it with warm water because the fur around the eye made his eye close shut.

:shock:Woah, that is expensive for a litter tray! They're about £6 over here, which is roughly $12? Maybe ours our slightly different too, cos they're quite big over here- Barney and Snowy can both get in theirs at the same time if they want to...

Good luck with your vet trip on Saturday, let us know how it goes!:)

Aww...you're doing so good, Hun. :)

About the pellet slurry not coming out of the syringe...you could try cutting the end of the syringe (in other words, making the opening larger), or try a larger syringe (they usually have larger openings). Your vet should give them to you for free. If you explain that you just need a larger syringe or two, they'll know what to give ya. :)

I think you're doing wonderful though...one step at a time is the way to go! I consider this boy a rescue, really...you're having to handle so many things to get him back into shape.

Hugs,

Rosie*

I am going to find time right after this post to look for a litter box :p.

Rosie...I did cut the syringe, it's just not working, lol. Thankfully, Benson has decided to eat his pellet slurry on his own! Is it bad for him if he prefers his pellets as a slurry with a little added pumpkin and oats? Atleast he is eating now!

His poops are TINY!

omg he's soooo cute. we rarely see "older" bunnies posted on the forum so its great seeing such an old bunny on here. Its so sad that divorces often affect animals too. I am glad he's found a new home where you can pay a lot of attention to him. I hope he gets better and becomes more comfortable with his new environment.

He has come out of his litter box and flops out in his cage now :). I think he is having issues with finding his water bottle, so I need to syringe him some water tonight or hold his bottle near him so he can drink.

He eats about 1/8 cup of pellet slurry with canned pumpkin mixed in. I wonder if this is enough food?

Off now to go care for Benson and Leonidas, my old "sick" boys :?.

We go to the vet in the morning at 10:40am my time! Wish us luck :).

Good luck at the vets!!

Also, Snowy had the same problem finding her water bottle, so we gave them a bowl and a bottle, to let them decide which they preferred... I don't know if you could do this? He might find the bowl easier!

:)

Well, 10:40 am your time is 11:40 am my time (CST); so you're likely in with the vet right now. Hopefully, all will be promising--both in terms of the vet's willingness to work with you and his/ her diagnosis of Benson's health.

I'm thinking nothing but positive thoughts for Benson. Hopefully, he'll make a smooth transition to real rabbit food and respond well to an improved diet and human affection.

I know that you feel disappointed that keeping Benson would mean being unable to foster another rabbit. The way I see it, though, giving Benson a stable, loving home is still doing something wonderful--even if only for Benson and not a rotating stable of other bunnies.

I wish you and Benson all the best!

The vet appt was awesome!

The new vet is great and said Benson has a few more years of life left. He is a little thin, but that is because of his age. He is 3 3/4th pounds, which is about right for a Holland Lop :).

He has eye drops for his blind eye to clear any infection that may be there. The vet said if he continues to wheeze, then he will give us some asthma medication. The vet said he just has "old lungs".

He got his nails clipped and he does have calouses on his feet from previous soar hocks. I just have to put neosporin on them a few times a day.

So, all is well :biggrin2:!

Aww, bless! I'm glad it went well! How did Benson enjoy his trip to the vets?

I'm curious, now that he's settled in a bit, what's his personality like?

The cage is great and should sell fast. I have one similar to it at the pound that I "unofficially" use as needed since we only have 6 USDA allowable cat cages.

Did the vet say anything about his hearing, or possible lack of it?

His personality is so charming. He is very calm and loves to be held just like a baby. He really loves his new NIC cage and has ventured out of his litter box :).

I forgot to ask the vet about his hearing, but that is okay. I am not sure if he really is deaf or just a very chill old guy. Either way, he's so great.

I am soooo happy to hear that he has a few more years of life left, a few more years could even mean 5 :D.

I am trying hard to switch his food over, he is stubborn, but I think we can do it, even if it takes months.

p.s.....I have been trying to sell the cage, but no takers at all yet.

Latest posts

Back