"Bugsy"....my 8 1/2 year old foster bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I got Bugsy tonight. I do not have much time to update and tell a lot about him because I am still in the process of getting things settled here at the new house, but I will update just a little bit for now...and just post a few pictures. I'll be updating in detail about him once I get my internet turned on....

"Bugsy"...is now being called, "Benson". I love the name more and it's a human name :).

Anyway, real quick update....

His cage is huge.
He was being fed the worst food and treats on the face of the earth.
He is over-weight.
He is blind in one eye and has some sort of infection in the eye that causes his eye to be watery and a tad crusty.
His old owner gave me money to take him to the vet, ugh...too much money, really.
I'll be phoning my vet tomorrow to get Benson in either this Saturday or next Saturday.
He is angry at me because he is locked in his cage. At his old house he had free run of the downstairs of a MANSION....really...this house was like the size of Walmart.
Phil, Benson's old owner, was a really nice guy and was super upset to see his "son" leave.

Again, that was just a SUPER quick update. I will update you guys better in a few days AND post pictures of the massive storage bin FULL of crappy food and horrible treats that Benson was being fed, arg.

Benson will be switched to Oxbow BBT and I am going to be asking tons of questions on how to help him lose some weight. Maybe he isn't over-weight...it could be that his coat is very poor because of the crap food. I didn't want to touch him too much because he has a lot of settling in to do.

Pictures, anyone ;)?

l_e621000a910ad12ec3f551864443cea8.jpg

l_9ebd884bf928b8a7164809ce22becb7a.jpg

l_60b2067d40a0532d6b133d30b7505d61.jpg

l_f68309e822ac4822172116c9b0f298e6.jpg

Aww, bless him! He's a cutie! :DGo you for taking him in!

His cage is indeed huge, is that the one he came in? I was just wondering how his feet are with being on the wire floor all the time, specially if you say he isa bit overweight? Or maybe if he has hadfree run out of the cage a lot they wont be too bad...

When we got Barney and Snowy, they were at least being fed pellets, but not great ones. After they were switched to Oxbow, the change in their coat was UNBELIEVABLE.

Hope he settles in ok, and you guys too! :)

Jen xx

Aww, the poor baby. :( He's a cutie, glad he's got the retirement home he deserves now!

I had a Benson once, he was the most vicious and blood thristy rabbit I've ever known. Let's hope this one is a total sweetie! :D

I am not sure how long the old tenant's internet is going to be on for, Paris is going to call me later right after they have it turned off. So, I'll continue to post until it turns off...

I checked on Benson this morning and got the poop scared out of me. I heard this heavy wheezing...but then I woke him up and he stopped. I think he was snoring....LOUD.

mouse_chalk....yep, that is the cage that Benson came to me in. He is mad at me right now because he is locked in it. I don't think this rabbit has been locked in a cage in years. I am going to wait a few more days until he settles in more until I pick him up and have a good look at him.

I'm phoning Dr. Luna in just a little bit to get him an appointment, hopefully this Saturday. Phil gave me $100 to take him to the vet. I told Phil I would return whatever money is left over and he said to keep it for "Bugsy". Phil is an attorney at law....so I really don't think $100 dented his pocket at all, but I still felt bad for taking it. BUT....Benson does need to get his eye checked out and a full exam.

Here is a picture of the "food bin" that Phil gave to me for Benson...

l_29f0179444dd84c5f90b2abaf5d3a399.jpg

When we went over to pick up Benson, the only food in his cage was this and I am sure he has been on it his whole life...

l_a0e3303700c1130f79fbbcc0147dfe9e.jpg

l_b40a6d75bc0eba54d2e1f1d84b83e603.jpg

l_a8da0e51a5c8e44eb0533c96b14f8ebe.jpg

l_29011859190b43e50df8383769facfa0.jpg

l_1a83537776b306b5a0f45ecfbefe2e7d.jpg

Random bags of food. Fiesta was open, but the other food was still sealed...

l_05f4c60e33c809d566e2d8427c8dac74.jpg

l_3334f8aa3506e47a59228ba6e20a28cc.jpg

Here is some pictures of the "treats" Benson has been given, probably his whole life...

l_bbb977805cf535da6f06b31f0c0d9f36.jpg

l_5ae2d3a3a473815cd5ab852b6c20133a.jpg

l_7e00c352e69f99301344a4f3eff68e5e.jpg

l_152b59700e85b8aa40bb97e7027b7ad9.jpg

When I get MY internet turned on...I need a lot of help from you guys to help me try to figuer out HOW to switch him over to Oxbow BBT. Benson has been fed a number of different crap.

I guess I will go by what was in his food dish when I picked him up, that that was his main feed. I am going to start switching him over to BBT today.

I am drowning in KAYTEE products. I have never had this much Kaytee junk in my house. It's discusting. That is one of the main reasons why I hate Kaytee...look at the junk they put out to fake their customers. Arg.

Needless to say, it is all going in the trash. I don't dare put it up on Freecycle to get rid of it all because then it will all go to some other poor bunny.

Gahh. I have lots of work to do! Painting the bunny room and cage building today. I will be up for a long while tonight!

Yucky! :shock:Man that food looks like a ton of sugar and very fattening stuff and... Ugh! I guess the owner didnt know better since he seems to genuinely care about the bun. Poor lil bun, his eye must be bothering him enough. I am glad you took him. I think you will have to keep him though :p

MsBinky wrote:
I think you will have to keep him though :p

That's what Ryan's mom said :grumpy:. If I keep him, then that means I can't foster any more rabbits when they need me :(.

My vet's office is closed on Saturdays right now for construction :grumpy:. They are redoing the whole clinic. I just called another vet and they are open until noon on Saturdays....I'll be at work. Now I am calling yet another vet....and they are open until noon on Saturdays.

Arg. I'll have to talk with Ryan to see when we can get Benson to the vet for his eye. I don't think the eye is an infection/emergency, but it does need to be checked.

Not your fault. Is it possible to take him next week after work? Maybe for now you can flush it and put some polysporin but you're probably doing that already anyway. Hoping you have a good weekend :biggrin2:I cant wait to see the bunny room!

Benson has a vet appointment with a vet in town that I have always wanted to try, but I always go running back to Dr. Luna because she is a total sweet heart.

His appointment is at 10:40am on Saturday the 12th. For now, I will keep my eye on HIS eye. Anything else I can do for the eye while we wait for the appointment? Maybe it just waters a lot because he is blind? My mom's dog is blind in both eyes and her eyes always water because she never closes her eye lids.

p.s...painting the bunny room sucks. I am sooo tired and I just finished my first coat, I just have to touch up around the ceiling and corners and base boards. Then I have to let it dry a bit...then do a second coat real quick :grumpy:.

Benson is adorable! His little face is so cute. His runny eye could be because he is blind. Like you said, I know dogs will do that. I've had several blind dogs and not all of them did it, but the ones that did, did it bad. I hope his Vet appointment goes well.

I get so excited about painting until I actually have to do it! lol. I've got two bathrooms, a bedroom, a barn, and a shed to paint - you want to help? :)

Good luck finishing up your bunny room! I hope your move went well for everyone & everybun.

Poor Benson is still sitting in the same corner of his cage. I want him to settle in for a few more days, though, before I let him run around. I want to let my bunny room air dry, then put my bunnies in there...then let Benson run around alone in the 3rd bedroom. Brody will spray pee all over if I let Benson run around right now, lol.

Okie...one more coat on the last wall and I am done. I am going to ask my dad to paint up around by the ceiling this weekend. It will take me like 2 hours....where it will take him about 20 minutes :p.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Be sure and let it ventilate for a while with an open window! Fumes from paint are deadly!

Yep :). I've had the window open all day, but I had to close it for the night to keep the bugs out....we have to instal a screen on that window. I also have the air purifer running in there. I am going to build the NIC cages tomorrow night and get the bunny room all set up. The bunnies will move in there Friday night after work :D.

Wow I feel so bad - Baxter! that is a rescue for me and my first bunny is eating that Fiesta food.. Is it bad? Baxter! was half starved/dehyrdated when I got him (could see and feel his spine and hips) but now 4 weeks later he's filling in and I give him spinach leaves in the AM w/dried apple and then when I come home from work dried fruit blend, carrots and whatever "snack" I pickup from petco. This is along with his regular bowl of Fiesta vitals and Timothy Hay and alfafa.. Vet said to ONLy feed him hay and water which seems REALLY harsh.. But am willing to only give him treats on occassion if this is what HE needs. Not sureif I can't spoil the little guy though..

juliew19673 wrote:
Wow I feel so bad - Baxter! that is a rescue for me and my first bunny is eating that Fiesta food.. Is it bad? Baxter! was half starved/dehyrdated when I got him (could see and feel his spine and hips) but now 4 weeks later he's filling in and I give him spinach leaves in the AM w/dried apple and then when I come home from work dried fruit blend, carrots and whatever "snack" I pickup from petco. This is along with his regular bowl of Fiesta vitals and Timothy Hay and alfafa.. Vet said to ONLy feed him hay and water which seems REALLY harsh.. But am willing to only give him treats on occassion if this is what HE needs. Not sureif I can't spoil the little guy though..

I think its time to find a new vet and change Baxter's food :)!

Your vet should know that bunnies need at least SOME pellets for vitamins. Kaytee Fiesta food is one of the worst for bunnies. It has nothing in it that they need. It makes them obese, rather than healthy. If you need help chosing a pellet, please let us know!

Is Baxter 6 months or under? If he is over 6 months, he should be fed a Timothy hay based pellet and timothy or another grass mix hay. Rabbits over 6 months do not need alfalfa in their diet, it should only be fed as a treat.

When chosing a pellet, get one of a higher quality AND pellets should have NO dried fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, ect in them....just a plain pellet.

Speaking of treats...a cheerio, dried craisin, a peice of fruit, a veggie.....are the more healthier treats that you can feed...in a very limited quantity. Most "treats" for rabbits in Petco and Petsmart are junk food.

I do highly suggest switching pellets (slowly) and usuing different treats. I would hate for your bunny to end up like Benson :(.

I felt Benson around and he needs a serious brushing and his fur is in poor condition, probably from his diet. I am going to brush Benson out on Friday.

Could you dump that food in a park or something for the squirells? They'll be thin and greedy after winter. At least then it wouldn't go in a landfill...

petalfuzz wrote:
Could you dump that food in a park or something for the squirells? They'll be thin and greedy after winter. At least then it wouldn't go in a landfill...

My co-worker wants all of the junky bunny food/treats for the goats, who live at the barn where her daughter rides. She likes to give the goats treats all the time.

So, it's not going to waste now :).

Wow...poor bunny boy...I feel so bad for him. Reminds me of when I got SweetPea and she was being fed that Nutraphase (without taking out those "treat" things), and her owner had her on clay litter, and those same treats, and tons of baby carrots a day... EEK!!

Glad he's with you now...and so happy he's going to the vet for a checkup. If you have him more than, say, four months...be ready for him to drop his rescue coat! And, being a lop, he'll probably drop if over a period of a few days to a week like Fiver did.

Wow...he's gonna be so happy once he calms down...

And can't wait to see pictures of the house! :D

Aww what a sweet looking little boy...i'm sure he will thank you laterfor putting him ona much healthier diet :)

Cheryl

Latest posts

Back