"Bugsy"....my 8 1/2 year old foster bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what gets to me is that there's no way an owner would know those treats are bad because they say "healthy" on the box! they'd have to ask the vet, or come on a forum like this to know just how bad those treats are! Benson is a prime example of how mislabeling treats as healthy can lead to poor health.:(

I am sure he will be with me for a while because I want him to go to a "bunny home". With his age, I don't want to adopt him out to inexperienced people.

Rosie....his coat needs a GOOD brushing right now. I have a flea comb that I use and I will be brushing him out tomorrow.

I think once I get Benson looking lovely again, I am going to send mail to the Kaytee company a before and after shot. I don't know if anyone has ever done this before, but this company needs to see what their horrible food does to pets. I know it probably won't make a difference, but I'd like to do it anyway.

:)

p.s...I got ONE cage done last night in the bunny room. It took me almost 2 hours. I will do the other two tonight. It hurts my hands because of all the zip ties. Their cages are huge though, adding on just one NIC panel longer makes a world of difference. I am going to have happy bunnos. The cages take up most of the room, but they will still have quite a large area for running and binking!

Wow Amy, thats the most junk food Ive seen in my life! Sometimes I throw that crap food out for the birds etc. when it gets donated to me.

Its clear his owner really loved him- to the normal person that would be spoiling your rabbit by buying all that stuff. If we go by what the pet stores tell us it seems like its all great for them.

Hes definitely a chubber and will be much healthier once you get him on a normal diet. Id do it very slowly though since hes so old and has been accustomed to a very different diet.

Great cage too!

Keep us posted. This guy is so lucky you heard of him just in time.

Haley wrote:
Wow Amy, thats the most junk food Ive seen in my life! Sometimes I throw that crap food out for the birds etc. when it gets donated to me.

Its clear his owner really loved him- to the normal person that would be spoiling your rabbit by buying all that stuff. If we go by what the pet stores tell us it seems like its all great for them.

I know, I couldn't believe the bag after bag of icky, bad food. I totally agree Haley on all that bad food in pet stores, if one doesn't know any better you do think you're spoiling them. Which is why research is your best friend:).

He's just adorable too, I think he'll adjust well. Reminds me of Tumpie too:p.

Did I miss something? Why did Phil give up his bunny after having him for 8.5 years. That would kill me? I just can't imagine! I feel bad for both of them, especially if Bugsy was bonded to his owner. :cry2

EdieRabbitsMom wrote:
Did I miss something? Why did Phil give up his bunny after having him for 8.5 years. That would kill me? I just can't imagine! I feel bad for both of them, especially if Bugsy was bonded to his owner. :cry2
He is moving, not sure why and couldn't keep him, unfortunately:(.

All the junk food went to fat and happy Boar goats :biggrin2:. My co-worker, Karin, brings all sorts of treats to the goats where her daughter rides horses. They love her!

EdieRabbit....Phil had to give up Benson because he was moving to Colorado and didn't want to stress him out on the trip all the way there. I agree with him, I think that would have been a bad trip for Benson.

Benson was definitely loved, but Emily (who cleans house for Phil with Paris) said that Benson has hardly recieved any attention over the last year. I guess that is when Phil and his ex-wife's divorce started to blow over into full effect. Emily said they just let Benson run around every where and "live his own life"...basically. I guess they just got too busy packing, planning, selling the house, ect to pay a ton of attention to Benson.

On another note....I truely believe Benson is DEAF! When I walk into the room that all the bunnies are in....my guys will jump around and move their hears to hear me better. Well, Benson doesn't flinch and continues to snoar away in deep sleep with his eyes closed. His blind eye always faces the door, too.

I though this was odd, so when I went into the room yesterday I ran in there making a ton of noise and scared the crap out of my bunnies (oops!).....NOTHING.....Benson didn't even flinch...deep sleepy snoaring.

So I walked over to his cage, opened the door, and yelled into his cage.....NOTHING. I put my hand in to touch him and he jumped/flinched...and then was excited because he thought he was being let out of his cage.

Would we call this deaf :shock:?

That or the ex-wife went around yelling and throwing stuff around so maybe he just doesn't care anymore. Lol j/k.

Poor lil bunner. I am glad you took him in. :)

WOAH that's a lot of bad food!:shock: Poor Benson, no wonder his coat is so poor on all that! BBT will sort it out hopefully...

It does sound as though he may be deaf, or just a very heavily sleeping bunny maybe? How are the rest of your gang taking to him?

Glad your bunny room is coming along ok, and the move went well, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of this famous bunny room when it's done! :p

Jen xx

The bunny room will be done tonight :biggrin2:.

I am going to give Benson a good brushing TOMORROW and hose off his cage. I am thinking I may let him stay in that cage for now, until I can plan out the room more to see where I can fit another NIC cage. My guys have huge cages, but I also want to still have floor space for the bunnies to play when out of their cages.

I may just build Benson a little pen and allow him to have free-run of the bunny room, gradually, to see how he and my bunnies interact through the cage bars. Benson has never been locked in a cage...and I feel horrible for keeping him locked up.

We'll see how it goes ;).

p.s...if I do build him a pen, I may sell his HUGE KwCage and donate the money to Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue :). The huge cage can be used for rats and ferrets...even a kitten cage if you cover the floors for the animals. I don't like these sort of cages for bunnies now that I know a NIC cage is the best way to go. Oh, and if anyone adopts Benson...they should already know of NIC cages because he will only go to am experienced"bunny home" :p.

I am about to finish up the bunny room. It won't be totally finished because I need to get a utility shelf until for in the closet to set stuff on, but I think it will be all ready to take pictures tonight :D.

Anyway, I thought I should post this...

I walked into the room where the bunnies had been staying earlier to grab something and I saw Benson flopped out on his side. I hadn't seen him lay like this before as he always sits up to sleep. I immediately knew he was dead and ran out of the room and had a bit of a panic attack in my bedroom. I called Alicia a million times so she could talk me through it, she wasn't answering so I had to call Ryan to tell him to bring me a shovel because Benson had died.

Well, Alicia called me and I build up the guts to calm down and go back into the room to make sure Benson had really passed.....

I walked into the room and Benson was grooming himself ever so gracefully :).

I got the poop scared out of me :grumpy:.

I should mention she is crying hysterically. I can barely understand. As I talk to her telling her it wasn't her fault, he was old and so on it occurs to me that she didn't tell me how she found him.

So I ask...that is when she finally goes back to check. :D

I think that when you have older rabbits or sick rabbits you tend to always fear the worse.

LOL! Benson must be SO very happy with you and probably had been along time since he enjoyed a good Flop! Wish you the best with Benson and thanks for setting me straight with Baxter! and not to feed him crap food.. Bunny ownership is so completely different from cats/dogs that there is a whole BIG learning curve..

JadeIcing wrote:
I should mention she is crying hysterically. I can barely understand. As I talk to her telling her it wasn't her fault, he was old and so on it occurs to me that she didn't tell me how she found him.

So I ask...that is when she finally goes back to check. :D

I think that when you have older rabbits or sick rabbits you tend to always fear the worse.

Don't tell the embarassing part :grumpy::p.

OMG - I'm dying here of laughter....

I'm sorry Amy - I know it isn't funny.....but it is.

I think it isn't just when we have older rabbits though....

The first time I walked into the office and Zeus was on his side with a dead bunny flop (with Miss Bea sitting by his bed - grooming him) - I was in tears. I said his name quietly and nothing happened.

I walked over and said his name and he sat up....

So I do understand how you must've felt...

It is truely scary, Peg. I mean, I haven't had the chance to get to know Benson yet....but I was just so scared and sad because I thought he died.

The main thing that was running through my head when I saw him like that was that, I was going to have to call Phil and tell him "Bugsy" had died.

Ugh, so freaky! I hope he doesn't scare me like that again, phew.

Oh, Amy, how scary that had to have been for sure:shock:. I bet you really did think he was gone, ack.:( I hate to think of those things. Thank the Lord, he was just feeling safe and sound, yay!:)

Oh, that's so scary! I'm sorry you thought he was dead and (understandably) were very upset, but what a happy ending! Do you think he's getting more comfortable there with you since he's flopping now? The first time I saw Rory lie like that was the day after his neuter, when we'd had him for about 3 weeks. He didn't move when I said his name, tapped on the bars of the cage or opened the door. Then when I touched him he jumped up! I'd never seen a bunny sleep like that, Cinnabun always barely had his eyes closed and slept in "meatloaf" position, but Rory was completely conked out on his side.

Benson sounds so sweet. He's a cutie, too! I'm glad you spared him from being put down. I feel sad for his previous owner because he was just trying to do what he thought was best for Bugsy... I'm sure it was hard for him to part with his bunny. I'm happy that he will be fed much better food now!

I checked on Benson this morning while holding my breath and felt great when I heard him snoring away :p.

I am not sure if it is a snoar or slight wheezing when he sleeps. I am definitely requesting Baytril from the vet, this is a new vet I am seeing...so I hope the vet won't be a big jerk and not listen to me like Dr. Luna does...she knows that I know that I am talking about ;).

Ryan and I are about to head down the mountain to go to Walmart to get some things. I have to buy a hose, so I can hose off Benson's cage and then I have to decide if I want to switch him into a NIC cage or not. My bunny room seems small now with all those darn cages in there! I may ask Ryan again if we can bunny proof the living room as well....he's being a poopyhead about it....lol!

So, I'll have bunny room pictures later...I promise!

Benson now has a nice new NIC cage in the bunny room :). I brushed Benson out earlier and he looks a lot better, he had lots of dead and dull hair. Phil also called me to see how "Bugsy" was doing...I think he really misses him.

While I was brushing Benson, I noticed he had a HUGE mass of dried bunny poo on his tail base. I gave him a butt bath in the tubby and got quite a bit off, but I think I will leave it up to the vet to do the rest because I don't want to hurt Benson. I think the "poo mass" has been there for quite a while and it was almost covering over his anus, which would mean the poop wouldn't be able to come out. I am also going to have the vet do his scent glands...too yucky for me!

p.s....he's a "litter box snoozer" now in his new NIC cage :p.

Latest posts

Back