Breakfast!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30303.jpg
...biscuts and sausage gravy... yummmmmmmm!!

It a savory recipe...not a sweet one.

For the NZ/Aus/UK etc people, a biscuit in the US is sort of like a dumpling crossed with a pikelet I think.

And for you US people a biscuit to us is a cookie to you. So if we areeating a bickie it will be an oreo/chock chip/plain whatever biscuit,not something you'd wanna put gravey on :vomit:

Definitions of biscuit on the Web:
[size="-1"][*]small round bread leavened with baking-powder or soda[*]any of various small flat sweet cakes (`cookie' is the Americanterm) [/size]

A bagel here is the same thing to us.

Also we don't have 'candy' here in NZ we have lollies. Trying to think of anything else :cool:.

I have fun when chatting with my friend in Ohio about all this stuff,we still find differences after knowing eachother for 6 years.

I'm curious about those biscuits with gravy,what kind of biscuits are they? is there anything in them?

so are they just like a bread thing?

cheryl

minilops wrote:
Trying to think of anything else :cool:.

"......biscuts and sausage gravy."
I guess it might be referred to as "banger" gravy....or sauce?

"....dumpling crossed with a pikelet"
What's a pikelet? Here that would be a little fishy!

"So if we are eating a bickie...."
And what a bickie?

Annnnnd....is it soda...or pop.....or sodapop in the UK?

~Jim
****this is kinda fun!!***
"Chocks away!!!" I just like that saying so much!

cheryl13 wrote:
I'm curious about those biscuits with gravy,what kind ofbiscuits are they? is there anything in them?

so are they just like a bread thing?

cheryl

Here's a basic recipe.....really simple to make:

2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening
About 3/4 c. milk

Sift before measuring.
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Sift flour with baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
2. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2knives (used scissors-fashion), until mixture resembles coarsecornmeal.
3. Make a well in the center. Pour in 2/3 cup milk all at once.Stir quickly round the bowl with a fork. If mixture seems dry, add alittle more milk to form dough just moist enough (but not wet) to leaveside of bowl and form ball.
4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface to knead.Gently pick up dough from side away from you; fold over toward you;press out lightly with palm of hand. Give the dough a quarter turn.Repeat ten times.
5. Gently roll out dough, from center, to 3/4 inch thickness.
6. With floured 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut straight down into dough, being careful not to twist cutter.
7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; bake 12 to 15 minutes.
Makes 8 (2 1/2 inch) biscuits.

I love love love biscuits and gravy... except Idon't put sausage in mine like most people do, because I'm a vegetarian:D Since without the sausage flavoring it can be a bit bland, I add ina little teeny bit of pure maple. I hate syrup, but I like a bit toflavor the gravy a bit. Lots of fresh ground pepper, too! Biscuits andgravy are a really popular thing around here. We cheat and buy Grand'sbiscuits... the kind that come in little cardboard tubes that you justpop open and seperate the biscuits. Pop them on a pan, pop that in theoven, and voila!

Thanks Jim,i just might give them a try:)

cheryl

Jess_sully wrote:
I love love love biscuits and gravy... except I don't putsausage in mine like most people do, because I'm a vegetarian :D Sincewithout the sausage flavoring it can be a bit bland, I add in a littleteeny bit of pure maple. I hate syrup, but I like a bit to flavor thegravy a bit. Lots of fresh ground pepper, too! Biscuits and gravy are areally popular thing around here. We cheat and buy Grand's biscuits...the kind that come in little cardboard tubes that you just pop open andseperate the biscuits. Pop them on a pan, pop that in the oven, andvoila!

but gravy isn't vegetarian, unless you've got some special kind you're eating.

JimD wrote:

"......biscuts and sausage gravy."
I guess it might be referred to as "banger" gravy....or sauce?

"....dumpling crossed with a pikelet"
What's a pikelet? Here that would be a little fishy!

"So if we are eating a bickie...."
And what a bickie?

Annnnnd....is it soda...or pop.....or sodapop in the UK?

~Jim
****this is kinda fun!!***
"Chocks away!!!" I just like that saying so much!

Jim,a bickie is a biscuit,bickie for short,you people call them cookies

pikelet is like a pancake but much thinner

haha soda or soda pop sound funny,we Aussies just say what drink wewant like coke or fanta or lemonade we don't use the word soda or sodapop:)

cheryl

cheryl13 wrote:
Thanks Jim,i just might give them a try:)

cheryl

And the nice thing is, if you do them wrong, no one will know,lol. I once tried to make pancakes from bisquick, and endedup with biscuits, clearly I'm better working from scratch.

Jess_sully wrote:
I love love love biscuits and gravy...
I hadn't had them forever until I went back to Detroit last month.
They weren't homemade..(Big Boy breakfast buffet ;)),...but they sure were good regardless!!!

Bangers are sausages. Gravy is gravy everywhere I think.

In NZ a pikelet is a mini version of what a pancake would be in thestates and our pancake is a very thin and big thing, it's just egg milkand flour. And it's quite a runny mixture whereas a pikelet rises whencooked and is thicker.

I'm with cheryl13 on the soda thing, we just called it by the brandname, coke or pepsi or whatever. Or if there are heaps to choose fromthen cold drinks or fizzy drinks.

Oh yeah and leer means to oggle at someone in a perverted creepy sortof way, I noticed a lot of US people use leery as a word for cautiousand that always makes me giggle. Hmm what else. We call the trunk theboot, the stick shift is a manual, a hood is a bonnet...though it'sonly really my Ohio friend I have noticed use trunk/stick shift etc.

minilops wrote:
I don't know about in America - in New Zealand we have bothkinds, muffin (like a giant cup cake) and English, which usually comessplit in the middle. Have you ever seen the muffin thing at Mconaldswith the egg and bacon in it? It's a bacon McMuffin here in NZ.

You are the first person from the UK I have seen who didn't know what an english muffin was :shock::D.
I'm english and I've never seen an english muffin before! :shock:;)

This is a good topic.

I will eat fat freeyogurt, cereal (Special K, Cornflakes,Rice Crispies) toast with peanut butter and jam but not all on the sameday.

When I'm really spoiled my husband will make me either French Toast, acheese omelet or bacon and eggs (eggs have to be cooked real well donenone of this runny yolk for me.

Aren't English Muffins similar to Crumpets?

Soooska:apollo:

binkies wrote:
You MUST tryhttp://www.lightlife.com/gimmelean.html!!!!!!!!! THe bestest veggie sausage in the world. You canmake gravy with it tooo!

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try it... I have to admit that Ido miss sausage sometimes, it was one of the few meat items that Ireally enjoyed (which makes no sense because it's also one of thegrossest/unhealthiest... but oh well).

I keep getting this funny image of calling Junior Mints or Gummy Bearsor any other kind of candy a "lolly" lol, and it just makes me want tofall over laughing. What do you call different types of candy ifthey're not lollipops? Sweets, perhaps?

I love learning little tidbits of information from other countries. Aren't chips also called crisps in Europe?

muffin.gif
English_Muffin_with_Canadian_Bacon_and_Cheese.jpg

English Muffins :)

Latest posts

Back