Bowl of water or bottle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first got Buck, he used a water bottle. When I introduced a crock of water, he lapped it up quick. I now use both. I have a crock of water underneath the water bottle (no matter what kind I get, it leaks). He uses both.

Molly will stand in her crock and drink out of the water bottle and will occasionally drink from the crock (I'm thinking of removing the crock).

I have heard from a local rabbit rescue that "every rabbit will use a crock, but not ever rabbit will use a water bottle". This seems to be somewhat true. I do believe that they get more water out of the crock vs the water bottle.

I have a bottle in their crate, and a bowl in their x-pen.
They primarily drink from their bottle.

I use both, I keep the bottle on the lower half of the rabbit hutch and a water bowl on the second floor. I had to put the bowl on the second floor because Harvey and Wilbur go a little nutty moving all their hay around and ripping up a phone book I keep on the first floor. It is a heavy ceramic water bowl, and they still manage to throw it down the ramp to tell me I need to refill it more often.

Harvey loves the water bottle and has no problem with it. However Wilbur can't seem to fully understand how it works. He bites at the nozzle and tries to pull the water bottle into the cage. When he does this it bangs against the cage, which gets pretty annoying fast. Sometimes he will pull on it so much he will manage to knock it out of it's holder. Wilbur is just determined to pull the bottle into the cage. I wish Harvey would teach him some sense!

Water bowls can attach to the cage side like these ones from petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752724

Then you just twist it to lift it out (so you don't have to unscrew attachment).

I used to always use a bottle until I had one that dripped. I put a container under it to catch the drip and noticed my one bunny always drinking from the container. In fact, he always seemed angry with the bottle likethe waterjust wouldn't come out fast enough for him. I switched to a bowl and discovered he was drinking waaayy more that way.

Since then, I've always used the twist on bowls. And since they don't sit all the way on the ground, they stay reasonably clean of hay, etc.

I switch up bottles and bowls. I like to make sure my rabbits know how to take water from a bottle in case we ever have a long care trip or they're at the vet for an extended period.

Matthias and Atticus use bottles currently and Molly/Gubb share a water bowl. I tend not to give Atts a bowl because being an English Lop his ears will always be wet.

Blue eyes wrote:
Water bowls can attach to the cage side like these ones from petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752724

Then you just twist it to lift it out (so you don't have to unscrew attachment).

I used to always use a bottle until I had one that dripped. I put a container under it to catch the drip and noticed my one bunny always drinking from the container. In fact, he always seemed angry with the bottle likethe waterjust wouldn't come out fast enough for him. I switched to a bowl and discovered he was drinking waaayy more that way.

Since then, I've always used the twist on bowls. And since they don't sit all the way on the ground, they stay reasonably clean of hay, etc.
Thanks, I'm going to look for these water bowls. They threw their ceramic water bowl again last night, crazy bunnies! I think Wilbur is going to try hard to detach it, I once had a hay rack fastened to the cage and he would not stop pulling at it until he ripped it down.

i actually use both. She has a bottle in her cage and a spill proof bowl in the bedroom. She seems to like drinking out of the bowl more. And its WAY to cute to watch her drink then lick her lips and wiggle her nose. LOL I make sure I give her fresh water in each every day.

I use a bowl for Princess. She seems to drink more and its easier to clean. I tried a bottle but she didn't drink from it. Bottles seem to leek too. And, I use half-bricks and
put them by the bowl so she doesn't flip it.
:dutch

Interesting how rabbit personalities differ...Sully prefers a water bottle. Our newest addition, Beau seemed annoyed with his bottle so we tried a different bottle, still annoyed. So now we are trying a bowl and he likes that much better....hopefully he won't be too messy with it. I will still leave a bottle in the cage as back up water. :p

Back