Big Lump Found!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I didn't respond earlier--I must have forgotten to press the "watch topic" button.

I have read that the best way to deal with an abscess is not to open it, but to give systemic antibiotics. If it will be several weeks before the antibiotics arrive, it may be good to have it removed surgically in the way that angieluv described. Puncturing and draining the abscess doesn't usually have a lot of success as it will frequently re-form, and the daily washing of the wound that's required to remove the very thick toothpaste-like pus doesn't allow it to heal very quickly. I would worry about opening it before you have the antibiotics, because it could re-form instead of heal.

Exactly how long do you expect to have to wait for antibiotics? I would give ibuprofen for now, perhaps some heat (heat can make pain lessen), and wait if it's less than 2 weeks. I really don't think it's ok to open the abscess up without having the benacillin there to treat with immediately after opening.

On 15th July, I sent him to a nearby vet. The vet poke with needle and squeezed the pus out. The vet asked me to clean squeeze as many pus as i can, everyday.

I'm still feeding him with the antibiotic syrup given by this vet. And he gave an antibiotic creme to apply on the lump.

I noticed the creme is making the hole (made by the needle) getting bigger. Last Saturday 25th July, the lump burst out and left a 7-10mm diameter hole.

Another vet called me on Sunday evening. She said the Benacillin is on the way. Probably will reach her tomorrow on Wednesday.

The 2nd vet said i need to take a long leave for the surgery. Since it is about 5-6hours (one way) journey from Penang to Kuala Lumpur, it is a very stressful journey for Dino. The vet said she will only perform surgery on the 3rd day. And we can go back to Penang on the 5th day.

My boss will not approve the leave. So do u guys think is it okay if i go to Kuala Lumpur to take the drug, without bringing Dino for the surgery?

The chances of benacillin to work on the pus will be lessen??

I can't believe I was stupid enough to open this thread and read your replies whilst eating my tea! Oops!

I'm glad your bun is doing ok. eating, drinking, pooing and weeing ok?

I think Randy often beats abscesses with just a combination of drugs- no surgery, so i wonder if with the right drugs it might be ok without the surgery. I don't know much about abscesses though so someone more knwoledgable will probably come along in a bit and answer that more.

Yes, the idea of only using drugs for abscesses comes from Randy.

I think once the Benacillin has arrived, you should do what Peg (Tinysmom) said she did. Because the abscess has been opened and the surgery would be so difficult for you to do, treating with just Benacillin and flushing pus out of the wound should be good. Also, the goal of the surgery to remove the entire abscess is to do it before it opens up. I would stop flushing the wound after a few days. Peg, when you did this, did pus stop coming out? How did you know when it was ok to stop flushing the abscess daily?

When the Benacillin arrives, you can either continue with the oral antibiotic if you want or stop. I would stop the topical one because it seems to be damaging the wound. Are you flushing with plain water? No peroxide in the water, I hope?

the fluffies wrote:
On 15th July, I sent him to a nearby vet. The vet poke with needle and squeezed the pus out. The vet asked me to clean squeeze as many pus as i can, everyday.

I'm still feeding him with the antibiotic syrup given by this vet. And he gave an antibiotic creme to apply on the lump.

I noticed the creme is making the hole (made by the needle) getting bigger. Last Saturday 25th July, the lump burst out and left a 7-10mm diameter hole.

Another vet called me on Sunday evening. She said the Benacillin is on the way. Probably will reach her tomorrow on Wednesday.
Do you know what the name of the creme that is making the hole larger is?

tonyshuman wrote:
When the Benacillin arrives, you can either continue with the oral antibiotic if you want or stop. I would stop the topical one because it seems to be damaging the wound. Are you flushing with plain water? No peroxide in the water, I hope?
I will stop the oral antibiotic on this Friday (to complete the antibiotic course, it has to be taken 5days a week, stop for 2 days, and starts another 5 days). I will start with the Benacillin on next Monday.

Do u guys think it is okay to start the Benacillin after the 2 days?

I already stop the creme usage since saturday. Now, I'm flushing with saline water (the one i use to rinse my contact lenses) and pat with surgical iodine once finish.

The 2nd vet called me today. The Benacillin has arrived. Will collect it on Sunday. Somebunny will brings Hans to the same vet on Sunday. She will demonstrate how to administrate the drug.

Thanx, guys! Will update Dino's status soon ;)

Guys..
I believe u guys have read about Hans (Somebunny's handsome ND)

Hans and Streisand were my only hope. But now all i feel is scared and worried.. :(

I've booked the ticket to Kuala Lumpur. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow nite and see Hans & SB on Sunday at the vet's place for the demostration on how to use the Benacillin.

I'm not as strong as Somebunny.. But i want the best for Dino.. Sigh... Cant think or make any desicion at this moment :(

:pray: I've been keeping up and reading your thread. Your in my thoughts and prayers. I wish nothing but the best for you and your bunny. I know your going through a rough time right now. God bless you.

I don't think this is a case of whether you are strong or not. I think it's a case of you doing what you think is best for your bun, whatever that might be. that's what Streisand did all the way through, just what she thought was best for her bun.

I know we've already talked about this but I just wanted to reiterate that bit.

Take some time to think then listen to your gut instinct as to what you think is best for Dino.

http://www.chrisrichards.com.au/uploads/Benacillin.pdf
This drug does not need refrigeration like bicillin so apparently the penicillin hydrochloride keeps it from losing its medicinal properties.
I will try to look more into the penicllin hydrochloride ......
but this is not easy as I am not a pharmacist
maybe when Claire comes on she will be able to look at this and make more sense of it....

Randy i believe had talked with Streisand about the use of that drug but she only lost contact with him in terms of the dosage. ..so I believe Randy thought the drug was OK...

it is the same as bicillin except for that one component ( I think)

real quick answer as I'm in the middle of something: I researched benacillin and found that the procaine in it is commonly used to reduce the pain of the injection, as it is a topical anesthetic. Is that what you're looking for?

The manner in which Hans died is not characteristic of a problems with penicillin drug. usually if penicillin is given orally it would wipe out the positive gut flora in a rabbit and the rabbit would develop diarrhea l
If the penicillin was given into a vein the animal would die much like Hans did but I doubt very much that she hit a vein; it is not easy to hit a vein unless you are out of the skin and into the muscle.
We will keep researching this as much as possible. :(

Yes I did read that. I agree that it doesn't sound like a reaction to the penicillin that caused Hans's death. I would assume that hitting a vein with it would cause anaphylaxis, right?

Latest posts

Back