Big Lump Found!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the vet here only treating cats and dogs. Rabbits are new to them. They're veteran vets. They use conservative ways in treating animals. They will ignore our advice and will not try a new drug. Sigh.

angieluv wrote:
Flashy wrote:
angieluv- for my own reference, why would the warm compress help?

For some reason I was thinking of this as a boil (soft and warm to the touch) whereas an abscess will be firm and hard...

so if it is firm and hard compresses won't do anything

Thanks for catching that Tracy :)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I wasn't trying to catch anything, just understand because abscess is soemthing I have not really dealt with much. But fair enough, that gives me a bit more understanding.

angieluv wrote:
Flashy wrote:
angieluv- for my own reference, why would the warm compress help?

For some reason I was thinking of this as a boil (soft and warm to the touch) whereas an abscess will be firm and hard...

so if it is firm and hard compresses won't do anything

Thanks for catching that Tracy :)
It was firm and hard yesterday. But today it is getting bigger and there is a soft spot on the lump. If i show that to the vet here, he sure will cut that open and squeeze or suck it with syringe.

if the abscess is growing really fast and you have to wait several weeks then I may consider opening andscraping it it ...butI would wait to see if it is going to get larger and i would try to find out ifyour vet can give you a pain med for him

Flashy wrote:
I wonder if this might be one of the times that something like the baby aspirin might be an option because there ARE no other options? any thoughts angieluv?

Flashy wrote:
I wonder if this might be one of the times that something like the baby aspirin might be an option because there ARE no other options? any thoughts angieluv?

The vet probably has other drugs that could be used but doesn't know it himself;

Iwould be conerned about giving Aspirin if it was opened up because of the potential for bleeding .

Fluffies posted that the vet gave anti- inflammatories ??

Ok, that's cool, I just wanted to throw the idea out there for the bunny :) (I'm also learning too).

angieluv wrote:
Flashy wrote:

The vet probably has other drugs that could be used but doesn't know it himself;

Iwould be conerned about giving Aspirin if it was opened up because of the potential for bleeding .

Fluffies posted that the vet gave anti- inflammatories ??
Yup, he gave me 2 meds. One is works as antibiotic (light pink color syrup). Another one is transparent red syrup, labelled as Pr. on the bottle. He said it is work as anti-inflamation. I will try to bring this meds to the new vet (in Kuala Lumpur when benacillin arrives) maybe she can helps me recognise the meds.

Do you have any of the anti inflammatory left?

any ideas (anyone) for how long it would be in date after being opened?

Yes, i just got the new bottles of antibiotic and anti-inflam. He asked me to throw away the meds after being opened for 3 months.

I would not open the abscess. A treatment with injectible antibiotics is the most likely to actually heal the abscess, so I'm glad you're going to be using Benacillin on him.

However, if you read somebunny's other thread, there is a bit of a conundrum in that the bottle of benacillin is marked in mg/mL, and all the treatment protocols we can find are for units/mL. We don't know the conversion from units to mg, so getting the correct dose of benacillin requires some guesswork. Make sure you also have a sterile salt solution to dilute the benacillin with, and that you get a lesson in how to inject sub-Q. It can be difficult to do correctly.

The pain relievers they prescribe here in the US for rabbits are Metacam (meloxicam), tramadol, and Buprenex (buprenorphine). The names without capitol letters are the compound name, the capitalized ones are the brand names. Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, like ibuprofen. Tramadol is a narcotic with opiod and seritonergic actions, and Buprenex is strictly an opiod narcotic. There may be restrictions on getting these drugs, depending on the local laws, as I know buprenorphine can be a drug of abuse (it is a problem in the UK) and I bet Tramadol can be too.

You can also give rabbits ibuprofen or baby aspirin for pain, but it's really rare to do that, since Metacam is so easily available here. Also, they can be really hard on a rabbit's sensitive GI tract. I'll PM a member who has experience with them for her suggestions.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=43773&forum_id=16&highlight=aspirin
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=17819&forum_id=16&highlight=aspirin
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=4234&forum_id=1&highlight=ibuprofen

I just woke up and checked on my Dino. He eats a bit. He just laying inside his cage. The lump getting slightly bigger.

Thinking about sending him to my vet to squeeze out the pus as much as can to relief him until the vet in Kuala Lumpur gets the banacillin for me.

Poor Bunny. That has to be frustrating. I'll be praying for you and your bun. :pray: Hope he gets some relief soon, and starts feeling better.

I just went back and re read your description of the vets method of dealing with the previous abscesses.
You state that at one time that the one of the abscesses could not be pierced by the needle because it was too hard. At that time the vet administered an oral antibiotic, topicalantibotics and applied warm dressing to the abscess and the abscess went away
Your vets method of dealing with abscesses is really primitive .
Removal of an abscess that is done correctly would be a surgical procedure in which the abscess may be removed including the walls and any extraneous tissue that may contain infection. Sometimes antibiotic impregnated beads are placed in the abscess cavity. The rabbit then is placed on sytemic antibiotics and pain meds. If not placed on systemic antibiotics there is the chance of a full body infection.

is there any way that your vet can give you topical antibiotics, oral antibiotic and warm dressings to keep the abscess under control until you can get the benacillin.

Removal of an abscess if done correctly is not needed generally if the combination of antibiotics is correct and the dosage strong enough

I am concerned re. your vets method of opening with a needle and pushing the pus out . .Not the way to take out an abscess
and is the rabbit anesthesized ; if not could die of the pain involved.
I totally understand and feeling your dilemna ; believe me this has been on my mind butI feel that a more conservative approach until the benacilin arrives might be the best approach
Also is there any other vets that you know of that may be better than the one that you are seeing right now?
How is he doing tonight ?

I am NOT an infirmary mod....but with all of my rabbits I am sure I've treated over 50 abcesses over the last 4 years.

This is what I would do...if you have those meds and they still look/smell ok...I'd start using them.

I'd also give painkillers.

I like the hot cloth idea as it may help it come to a head and drain without you having to get it opened up.

I had one doe that had an abcess get to be almost tennis ball size & she hated to move. Then one morning she was hopping around and did binkies...turned out the abcess had burst on its own and she had a drainage hole the size of a quarter.

I drained the abcess 2 times per day (since it was open on its own) for a few days and continued antibiotics for a month and painkiller for a couple of days if needed.

Other than the patch of white fur there (a year later)...you would never know she was so sick.

Latest posts

Back