Big Lump Found!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
This is his 3rd lump :cry1:since last year.

Let me tell u guys his abscess history..
Previously, he had a lump on his right soulder. It was a size of marble ball, it was on 5th May 2008:

080508_foundlump.jpg

Without anaesthesia, my vet made a hole with the biggest needle he has and pinched the pus out.

090508_removelump.jpg

On the way to recovery, he had a 2nd abscess, 2inches away from the first abscess. The 2nd abscess was found on 24th May 2008.

240508_2ndlump.jpg

The vet removed this one with the same method : made a hole, and pinched the pus out.

200508_remove2ndlump.jpg

The vet removed this one with the same method : made a hole, and pinched the pus out. Owh, it was a painful procedure. Poor baby :(

But within a week, the abscess returned

270508_2ndLump_before.jpg

The vet tried to make a hole, but the skin was too thick for the needle to penetrate into the skin. So the removal was unsuccessful.

270508_2ndLump_after.jpg

So the vet gave us a topical antibiotic and oral antibiotic and oral anti-inflam (sorry i cant get the meds name. My vet is too secretive about the drugs he's using :ph34r2) and asked me to put warm compress on the abscess.

We are soooo lucky. The abscess went away in the next 2 weeks.

Poor bunny has been through the mill and sounds very lucky to have beaten the abscess with that treatment.

Are you saying you have found another lump on him?

He's a REALLY beautiful guy!

Oh dear, poor bunny.

Is your vet willing for you to suggest things that might work?

Some members on here treat abscesses with just medication, and some members have them surgically removed. It's not recommended to try and open and squeeze and abscess though.

Do you know what is causing them? Have you had the infection cultured?

My friend, Somebunny (one of RO member) and her vet (which is far far away from me. I'm from north Malaysia. They're at central region of Malaysia) is helping me find a solution for my rabbit's abscess. I'm thinking about using the same method Somebunny is using on her bunn, Hans. But i have to wait for the drug to come, which is needs me to wait for a week or two.

Today, i found out that the lump is getting bigger than yesterday. My rabbit, Dino is not touching his food. He looks really painful. I'm feeding him with Oxbow Critical Care.

So while waiting for the drug to reach us, do u guys think it is okay for me to send him to the vet nearby to remove his abscess using the same method he had undergo last year?

I read some articles saying that this method invites more infection or the infection will spread :(

But i want to make my bunny feel a bit comfortable while us waiting for the drug. My vet here doesnt carry any painkiller for bunny. Any advice??

Flashy, it has been a year he was free from abscess. My vet is practising a conservative way in treating animals. I dont think he is willing to get the infection cultured :(

I personally don't think that squeezing it would be ok, but that's my novice opinion.

Taking him to the vets and getting some pain medication to get him and also maybe a basic anti-biotic to hopefully stop the spread might be a good thing to do though.

I'm not sure that would do much to be honest. He really does need some proper pain medication.

Is he eating anything at all? Pooing? Weeing?

There is the other remote possibility that this is not an abscess again, it could be something else, which is why it is worth seeing a vet.

This is a tough one
If you had the medication and could start it now then you could start the meds without opening it.

Does your vet have any antibiotics for rabbits at all that he could give him if he opened it. Does he have baytril??? (which is for for and cats)

if he is going to open and clean that outI cannot imagine the bun not being on antibiotics even if they are not the benacillin
and it is hard to conceive that he has no pain meds . Does he have tramodol? There is more than one pain med that could be used

Randy has said that abscesses are like seeds ; they just spread out all over.

if your bun has never received any antibiotics that is most likely why they are returning.

Did you already order the benacillin?

Poor baby. Sounds like you need to find a vet that is willing to work with you on finding out why he's getting these lumps. Is he getting bit by something? is he a indoor/ outdoor bunny?

Forgot to say that a warm compresses may make him more comfortable

Does your vet know anything about rabbit medication at all ?

Usually if the abscess was removed culture and sensitivity would be performd to determine which bacteria is causing the abscess.

I already ordered the benacillin from Somebunny's vet. The vet said it needs a week or two for the drug to reach her. Once she gets the drug, i will drive all the way with Dino. It is 5-6 hours journey to get there. This vet said i still need to open the abscess. She said that using benacillin only (without open the abscess) is not works.

Now i'm giving him the oral antibiotic (the same one he got last year). Got it from a vet nearby, but this vet refused to reveal its name :( He asked me to open the pus, but i havent make my mind yet. He said open the abscess will relief the bunn..

angieluv- for my own reference, why would the warm compress help?

Dino is an indoor rabbit. We live in an apartment. Maybe he got a scratched by my cats or his partner while having his outing hours :(

The vet i have in my place refused to do the culture test :( He said, "no need.. abscess is normal in rabbits. Just give him the antibiotic and the anti-inflamation i gave, he will be okay," :(

We have no metacam here. I can only get benacillin and painkiller when i go to see the other vet Somebunny recommended me. I'm waiting for Benacillin. Hope she can get it by this weekend.

I wonder if this might be one of the times that something like the baby aspirin might be an option because there ARE no other options? any thoughts angieluv?

Flashy wrote:
angieluv- for my own reference, why would the warm compress help?

For some reason I was thinking of this as a boil (soft and warm to the touch) whereas an abscess will be firm and hard...

so if it is firm and hard compresses won't do anything

Thanks for catching that Tracy :)

Latest posts

Back