Baxter! & Babs: A Dating Tail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H NA - update you shall have..

Harpo: He's such a silly, happy, bouncing boy.. Noticed he seems to be putting on weight :?. He does not like anything sugar so I never give him any Bunny McD type treats (such as Bax and Gabby LOVE - dried fruit, or yogurt drops, etc); and I'm not feeding him anymore pellets than he got while an inmate at the shelter.. Maybe its just that he's not so stressed out anymore so his metabolism has slowed? I wouldn't say he's fat at all but just has some extra "cushioning".. Haven't tried yet to bring him to work with me - he just so sedate and happy I hate the thought of upsetting him; nor have I taken him to any adoption events.. I will in the future (sure..)...

Gabs and Bax: Have noticed and can almost prove that Gabby will "tell" Bax to go get hersome Banana chips or greens or pellets; as at odd hours he'll come running over to me and will start to chew on the cuff of my pants or chew on the book I'm reading to get my attention and then whenask him"Whats UP Buddy?"he'll run over to the appropriate feeding station (seperate spots for each treat/food; banana chips doled out in the kitchen; greens doled out underneath the bar stools; pellets in the bedroom) and then I'll get what he's asking for; noticed Gabby is "hiding" somewhere nearby said areato see if Bax has done her bidding as she will then JUMP in front of him to get whatever treat I'm giving first.. She wears the pants in that relationship FOR SURE..

Kitten: Bella is a ridiculous kitten - races around and just spazzes out; the rest of us just sit back and watch.. She also tries everytime I give the buns parsley to eat it; she'll chew on a piece for about 20 seconds before spitting it out; thought she'd stop after the 2nd or 3rd try, but nope - everytime.. stupid kitten..

So Harpo, my much loved foster bun is acting out.. We've been together now 5 months and he is just such a ridiculious "cuddle bun" most of the time, but this AM he was all snarly and growling when i came to give him breakfast. I walked in, he came CHARGING at me with his growl, but once his nose hit my shin, he bowed his head and we both had an awkward moment... :shock: I waited 30 seconds to see what he "was saying" then realized, he had NO idea what to do - nor did I.

I proceeded to give him his pellets (this was after I kept my hand on him so that he couldn't also charge his bowel, aka my hand). He began to eat and I just sat with him and all was GOOD.

He's a bun that was raised in a shelter, so am thinking when he feels the need to say "HEY I'M Mad", as he only has this oneknown reaction to get you to "think" of "why is he being this way" is the reason?.

Thought I/We had moved past this, but apparently some bunny's need much more time to recuperate..

Don't think this boy will beable to be adopted out; or it may just take more time?Can you ever get a bun that had had a problem/stress issue to get over it?

LOL! He's a mini-rex, right? They are incredibly opinionated rabbits. (Or midgets in bunny suits).

My guy did the same things. He got chubby pretty fast, too.

sas :inlove:

Poor bunny she went from "Gumdrop" (most ridiculous name) to Babs, to now Gabs.. But Gabs (aka Gabby when I yell at her) seems to be the one that has stuck with her. Have had her for over a year so think its herREAL name... LOL..

Elf Mom replying AGAIN to your reply as I'M honestly ashamed to put this in the "Behaviour and Nutrition" post, as I should know better.

Bax and Gumdrop have not had their nails trimmed in 10 months. They romp around on carpet and seemed to be fine to me until I saw their nails about6 months ago and Imadea mental note "Should trim those".. now4 months later its "OMG!"..........

Preface the next couple of paragrahps to say all of my "Kids" are healthy physically but...

So I tried a couple of weeks ago to trim nails and got Baxters front paws (fine, he was unexpecting, but snorted through without issue) and then tonight tried again and now my inner left wrist looks like hamburger, by BAX - the sweetest bun ever born!?

He apparently does not like being picked up and held like a baby (usually just throw him over my shoulder and he would grunt small words to be had, but never shredding of skin) but its been awhile, since I tried picking him up.He has his girlfriend, then thereis the kitten that needs SO much attetion (feral, wants to play at 4 AM) and the shelter bun that needs SO much love (aggressive, but loving when giving any amount of time).

I've dropped the ball for the last year and just indulged everyone (know each animals treat/sugary - carbohydateof choice - so much easier to give a treat than wait out the bad behaviour.

Their not bad, by any means, I'm just a poor human slave... feel very bad.

If you have been here - please let me know.

Oh Yes, I've been there. Now that I have 2 bonded couples, it feels like I don't spend enough time with each one individually. Just recently, Jester seems to be quite indignant with me at times, although I know he loves Bonnie, and she loves him.

Perhaps cloning ourselves is the answer :biggrin:

Jan

juliew19673 wrote:
Thought I/We had moved past this, but apparently some bunny's need much more time to recuperate..

Don't think this boy will beable to be adopted out; or it may just take more time?Can you ever get a bun that had had a problem/stress issue to get over it?
I'm not sure what the answer is. :?My Basil went almost a year without biting anyone and then bit me and my son within a couple of weeks of each other. The only common thing we could think of is that we both came into his area from swimming and were wet. I think that since he grew up having to protect himself with his teeth that perhaps that is always going to be his response to fear. We have all gotten pretty good at reading him in order to avoid any issues. Poor Harpo. Of course, mine is also a mini-rex and they are incredibly "opinionated" as Pipp pointed out. :biggrin2:Maybehe thought breakfast should have been earlier?

Wow time flies!

Just reread my last few posts and am happy to report that not only:

Gabby loves to be petted!! (Thank You God - took 2 years) - will now come to me to get a head rub; but not yet a cuddle bun - but we have time to work on that.

Baxter! is losing weight (cut out the banana chips) and he actually can "get air" when binkying which he does alot more of lately; think I'm seeing a waist line even? He is still THE most cuddley animal I've ever had. Love a first bunny - like a first love.. aww.

Bella the Kitten (she weighs about 4 pounds, was feral and never has grown much [completely healthy] - so thus, the "kitten" title) is getting fixed/altered tomorrow (she's 2, its time, put it off as long as possible). The buns are all Celebrating as I type (she's become a "rough-houser" when playing as of late). So am worried for her and will be taking the fun role of "Nurse Maid" for the next 10 days; had to go to Petco and buy her a "Cone Of Shame" to wear... Someone needs to come up with a better "gizmo" than this thing.

Harpo the foster bun is still here and loving life (been here what a year+?). Am thinking maybe he is not a "foster bun" and just a bun that needs to be bonded to my crazy pact. Still thinking this one through, but he is sweet, silly and not much of an attitude other than just personality - which I really love... Thinking about it.

Have a week off to deal with the kitten and her spaying; so will try to get photos of all to post.

I am SO lucky to have such sweet "kids".. :pray:

Good to year about your crew! You're lucky to have a snuggle bun. So few bunnies have that sweet nature and it is so nice to be around!

I actually have been doing some volunteering at cat spay/neuter clinics and we recommend a soft collar. It is made of fabric and lies flat, so that they have their peripheral vision and can use their whiskers--this is much more comforting for the cats as the cones are really disorienting for them. They really use peripheral vision and whiskers a lot to assess their surroundings. A lot of cats won't bother with their incisions too, so you may just not need a cone.

thanks for the kitty tips TH; did get Bella a soft cone of shame; as she is SO small its still a little large for her, but she is getting the hang of it now on day 2. Here is a photo of her:

bella.jpg

Thanks for the updte, Julie. I love to hear how your furries are getting along!

Poor Bella, she looks lost in that :D. I always feel bad for animals when they have to wear them.

Harpo sounds like he has found his forever home lol ;)

Any recent pics of Baxter! and Babs?(hint :p)

Jan

here is Gabs and Bax as of tonight; funny Gabby always thumps at me after taking a photo, I think she is under the impression it "steals her soul" or, she wanted to fix her hair first..

gabsandbax.jpg

I am SO happy to report that Bella the cat is now running around and will get her stiches out Thursday (YAY!). She's getting back to her ol-self..

Even the rabbits seem happy to see her galloping about as they are binkying along with her.

Love that my weird pack came back together and more importantly, seems happy to have her back.

Yay animals and their way to except change!

Jan your so right; when I first brought Bella back from the vet - she was all drugged up and had a space for her in my closet which is in a hallway of bedroom, with an Xpen enclosing her (the entire closet which was to much room for her at that moment, she just kept walking back and forth all confused, so cut it in half with an Xpen that stuck hallway out into the hally way; Gabby ran over and sniffed the Xpen - then Gabs ran off Baxter! when he tried to check out the new addition and then she layed down in front of this "pen" to protect Bella.. LOL..

That night, when I grabbed my blanket and pillow to sleep with Bella in the hallway I had to explain to Gabs what I was doing as she growled at me.. Gabby is the Matriarch of our group (not me apparently - lol).

Buns are GREAT guard animals.

:innocent

Happy to post back that Bella (the cat) and I survived her "altering". Also, found out through the whole "Ordeal" that poor Bella has a case of gum disease; poor thing is 2 and has gingivitis tooth decay (red ring around her top jaw). I wouldn't have even to think to look at her teeth/gums at her age, so glad the vet caught this.

The buns are good - however, I got the "Stink Eye" from Harpo, my foster bun as he was the ONLY animal that noticed I spent a few hours babysitting my friends dog this evening; he smelled my jeans coming into his pen and kept jumping back 6 inches; took me 3 minutes to talk him down - lol..

Latest posts

Back