Bandit: rabbity antics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kept my promise, and it's photo time!! :D

Words can not express how much I love my little man, even if the fourth photo did result in me being covered in dirt from his serious move :p Just look at how cute he is =3 I love the last two especially :)

IMG_6749 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6757 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6762 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6784 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6798 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6801 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6853 Bandit.jpg

IMG_6855 Bandit.jpg

THE LITTLE TINY BANDITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He's so photogenic! I love all his little binky pics. And the tiny bunny mouf!! He's like "hey mam!!"

He is such so gorgeous, his colouring is fabulous. How couls you get mad a him with that face....I just want to kiss it :p

I could have sworn that I already responded to say thanks here, but apparently not :p And no, I can't get mad at him... well I do, but then as soon as I see him I just melt and go into petting mode. I'm just a slave... really.

And the tiny bunny mouf!! He's like "hey mam!!"

:D

You get a bonus image while I play around with trying to get images in the middle of the post, instead of all at the end.

attachment.php

I think it's worked :D How relieving, that has been bothering me for so long having them all lumped together at the very end.

Edit: Nevermind, it didn't work. Haha, have a bonus image anyway :p I'm convinced there must somehow be a way to do it though...

IMG_6926 Bandit.jpg

Last edited:

I can't tell anyone in real life yet, so I will tell the internet!!! My sister in-law had her baby last night :D So I'm an Aunty again for the 3rd time (first child for my brother though). So now I've got another lovely little niece. I got to go into the hospital today to see them, my mum and her partner were there at the same time and I got to hold her while she slept for a while. My sister in-law had a c-section after a day of induced labor that wasn't progressing, so she'll probably be at the hospital a couple more days before they head home. They all seemed well though, if a little tired, and a very healthy baby. :stork:

After I got home, I opened the laundry door, Bandit escaped the gate 4 times in a row without me hearing... so I'm definitely doing something wrong and he's doing something right. The first time I heard him thunka-thunking up the stairs, the second time I heard his paws on the screen door as he reached up at it, the third time I heard a noise in the bedroom, and the fourth time it had been too quite for too long, so I went downstairs and found him in the lounge room. :nonono: I've been considering a baby gate but I'm just not sure, I think I'd need a tall one. lol

Oh, did I tell you guys I had a Bandit related nightmare last week? I dreamed that I shut the laundry door, and went out somewhere for a while, then when I came home everything in the house was destroyed because he'd slipped out the door as I was closing it!!! And I mean literally everything was destroyed, fridge power cable, all the skirting boards and some chunks of wall were missing, he'd chewed on every step, ripped up carpet, chewed on the window frame and screen that are 3 feet off the ground (somehow), eaten parts of the bed etc. You name it, he ate it. You cannot imagine how relieved I was to wake up, haha.

Last edited:
Spamming my own thread with more posts, haha.

Seriously though, even before I got Bandit, I've been excited about making an NIC cage for whenever I next got a rabbit. So I did tonnes of research, and saved countless images of cages and designs so that I could one day create my own. But to me they all seemed to lack one thing, despite how long they were, the cages never utilised their full length as there was always a shelf in the way. So to remedy this, last year sometime I designed a cage with the shelf to the back, so that the main cage area could be used in full length.

Exact specifications of the height of that top shelf is yet to be determined, it would probably have to sit a little lower, but on both levels, there is the availability of full-length hopping, which I think is important. The red dot is supposed to be a support dowel (though it may have to run lengthways instead), the green square around the front four panels is a door, and I would also place a door on the roof. The space under the shelf might be a good spot for a little hidey-home. A single grid shelf would be ideal, but I read that it's preferential for rabbits to have a little more room when hopping down. Which is another reason I feel the shelf along the back is better, because the rabbit can jump down to the length, as opposed to when you see a two grid wide shelf against the side and there's still only one grid space to hop down onto it (if that makes sense).

In any case, I've probably been over-thinking it (I've had a lot of time to). But I've seen so many cage designs where I've wondered "why on earth did they build it like that" So I figured other people's cages, could be my trial and error and I would magically end up with the perfect cage, lol.

Anyway, here it is :p Ignore the square off to the side, it was a template thing. Also in my dream world, it would probably be five grids long, but whether or not I end up with that much space for a cage is another matter ;)

NIC cage idea.png

Last edited:
While going across the road to get some ingredients for dinner, I thought I'd stop in at the vet and get some sort of treat for Bandit, since last time I was in there they had a few different oxbow products. Unfortunately, they only had the pellets, hay and hay cakes. But I bought a packet of hay cakes. $8.70 for a bag which seems a steal compared to the $14 RRP on the Oxbow Australia website, haha. Bandit seems to like them at least, he's pretty much completely devoured the one I gave him already. I actually wanted to cut it in half, mostly so they'll last longer but I want them for little treats, not a meal. I tried scissors, then a sharp knife, then a serrated knife, and I just ended up with a mess and a cube that was still pretty much whole. So if anyone has any tips on cutting hay cubes in half, that would be great :D

the hay cubes I buy just snap easily by hand... Oxbow ones must be super tough ! Chisel ? saw ? chain saw...lol? just give in and give him a whole block (i'm sure bandit agrees with that one!)

OMG Bandit is super cute. i LOVE his colouring. i haven't even read this whole thread and just jumped aboard reading the last 2 pages but now i'm going to have to go back and read it all just in hope there is more cute photos of your bun! JUST ADORABLE !

I never understood the whole NIC cage thing until joining here. I thought they would be flimsy and useless to contain mess.
I loved the idea now since seeing heaps of them, but since my bunny has a whole concrete room to himself i have no need to design my own now. he just gets a whole room instead.

Love your design for the NIC cage, hope you build it and show us. I buy excel food cubes and Houdini loves them but they also are hard to split must be like oxbow so I end up giving him the whole one which takes him a while to get through. He does manage to split them, just shows what those little teeth were made for. It's funny but when he gets it into smaller pieces, he loves throwing it about, playing with it and generally making a mess. Wondered if Bandit does that :p

Thanks, one day I'll get a chance to build it :p By then I should have absolutely everything figured out right down to the colour of any flooring/rugs I might use, lol. And yeah, Bandit made quite the mess of the hay cube, though it seemed to go down well. Lasted quite some time which was good. Will probably be a once a week thing :)

Tuesday night I went to Bunny Club. I didn't get to take Bandit because I'd just driven an hour back from my sister's after helping her pack for a house move so I didn't have time to stop home and pick him up. However, there was this gorgeous wild rabbit there up for adoption. He's about 9 years old. Some guys cat caught it nine years ago and brought it home to him. So he cared for it and kept it free roam in his backyard for the following nine years. And I tell you what, what a friendly and absolutely beautiful rabbit. The eyes on wild rabbits are so enchanting. Would have brought him home in a heartbeat if I'd been able to. (Poor Bandit!) In non bunny related news, I went for a hike with a friend yesterday, and we saw a flock of 50 yellow-tailed black cockatoos. I only got dodgy photos, but they're such beautiful birds.

As for what's new around here, I bought a whole bunch of new edibles for planting, along with two new pots. I bought a replacement punnet of coriander and lettuce. I've also added mint, lemon balm, and thyme (lemon). In addition to new herbs, I got some pansies and marigolds. I'm not really a fan of either of them, but as long as Bandit is that's all that matters :p So I've just finished planting all of those out and watering them in, so here's hoping there'll be lots of new things for Bandit to sample soon. :)

Have some fun images from Wednesday's play pen time:
1. Zooming away
2. Mid-air karate
3. Invisible Motorcycle :D

IMG_7001 Bandit.jpg

IMG_7002 Bandit.jpg

IMG_7004 Bandit.jpg

Oh, I did laugh out loud at the invisible motorcycle, read the comment and then saw the pose, that is priceless. The action photos are fabulous, I might pinch the motorcycle one to post on facebook if that´s OK, it is so good. He is such a handsome guy, I just his little bunny.

Your garden sounds great. I´ve also been reading up about plants they can eat. I printed off some stuff the other day to go on a walk and forage for stuff. It´s got pics and everything so I might do that this weekend and see what I can find. There is quite a bit of open ground just down the road where loads of weeds and flowers grow.

A shame you didn´t get a pic of the wild bunny. THey always say you can´t keep them but this one seems to have adapted over the years.

I was looking at the three little baby buns they have in the vets. THey are just gorgeous but she was telling me yesterday they have got homes for all, I am so pleased although there was one I would have loved to have brought home but 3 is enough.

I love the hay cubes, Houdini spends ages playing with it as well as eating it. I must find somewhere here where they sell them, I´m down to the last two.

Oh the things we do for our Buns! plant whole gardens for them but yet cant even be bothered to water the one plant i own in a pot next to my front steps ! but Boomers garden of herbs gets watered daily and is flourishing. Bandit is spoilt.

OOOOOH, i love cockatoos of all kinds. Galahs being my favourite. we only see sulfer crested cockatoos, galahs (lots) and corellas here. the odd sighting of maybe a pair of black cockatoos but that is VERY RARE, might have seen them 3 times in my whole life here. We have some gorgeous bird species in Australia just too bad in the city i see hardly any of them.

Oh i wish you took photos of that wild bunny too. would have been so cute. that is why i liked Boomer, because he looked (the colour) like a wild bunny ! i wanted a grey or brown bunny because thats like the wild rabbit here.

Don't have a lot of time so will respond to your posts a bit later. Haven't had much time lately as I have a friend visiting from Darwin.

Bandit is unbelievably still shedding. It's like a super molt or something, I thought it was getting near to ending but it's gotten worse again. I think it may have been the reason he was feeling off a couple days ago. He was eating, but just kinda lethargic for most of the day. He was still eating and drinking, then at one point he went to poop and he did a bunch of small ones and a bunch of normal sized ones. After that he seemed to pick up again, so a mild upset from something. He's ok now though, maybe a bit neglected while my friend has been staying :p but very well otherwise.

Will hopefully be able to update better over the weekend.

Wow! Great action shots! How do you manage to get such great binky pics? Mine always end up in a bunny blur :)

Thanks guys. Having a DSLR camera helps capture the binkies, though I still need to work on getting the settings right for it, need more shutter speed. I find that I'm getting better at predicting them too, which certainly helps. He has a tendency to do them soon after I first put him in the pen, and then he usually starts them from the same location and you can see it building in his posture. I still miss far more than I capture though :p

Haven't been keeping up with this much. But Bandit is absolutely crazy shedding-wise. He started, it went crazy and slowed down... which is when I thought it was stopping. Then it got 100x worse! So I've been sweeping up giant wads of fur every day along with brushing and hand plucking. It simply never ends.

A little worried because I just read a report of myxomatosis in the area and I've been having trouble keeping mosquitoes out of the house, so I'm really hoping we're not in one the areas of a reported case (though most likely we are since that kinda thing can spread so readily). It's quite scary to think about, since the prognosis for most cases is very, very poor.

I'm also heading away over the Easter Long Weekend (going camping, and I'm super excited, lots of bird watching and photography for me) however I feel really bad for Bandit. I'm going to be boarding him with SA Rabbit Rescue, so he'll be in the best possible hands. I know that I will still worry though, and I'm sure he'll hold a grudge for a while for it too, lol.

Last edited:
Can't help but wonder if the lady I directed to the coreflute at work today, and 5 minutes later, the cable ties, was making a rabbit cage...

So I no longer have a working lamp in the lounge room, I wonder whose fault that could be...

Really it's my own fault for sitting upstairs listening to music and not hearing Bandit escape, he could've been out for up to 45 minutes already when I realised. I'm lucky it was just a lamp and that I always leave it off at the wall. And given how long he could have been out, he's actually a pretty good bunny for only chewing that and nothing else (from what I've managed to find so far). As soon as I walked in there, he knew the game was up though, lol. The look on his face was priceless.

I think I might just have to bight the bullet and invest in a tall baby gate, because the current set-up obviously isn't working.

Last edited:
Back