Bald spots when shedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeyskenzie

Reaction score
So a few months ago we found Dale in our backyard, we’ve overcome abscesses, respiratory infections and now I fear there is yet another issue stemming from his past possibly? He is shedding a ton right now and I’ve noticed that he has a lot of bald spots. He does not live with any other rabbits but they do groom him through his x-pen as we begin to integrate them into the herd. Does anyone have suggestions on what may cause this? He has a vet appointment in a couple weeks but I’d like to get opinions as well.

I’m not sure it matter but my vet believes he is some type of rex mix. I don’t have any idea what his quality of life was before us but given the fact he was dumped into the wild, and came to us with so many illnesses I would say it probably wasn’t good if that may have something to do with it.

Attachments

• 072361A8-36EE-49E6-A90D-E0C044F2D971.jpeg
    072361A8-36EE-49E6-A90D-E0C044F2D971.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Your bun seems totally fine-just in a heavier moult.
See the new fur being a bit darker, shorter and denser? Completely normal. Sometimes it just can't grow in faster than what they shed, so there's those bald spots.
See the bald skin having a geryish tint to it? That's the place where new fur is actively preparing to grow back in. Especially visible in darker coated buns.
One of my current buns is a broken orange girl, she had lost a huge patch of moult fur. The skin was initially light pink/white but as new fur prepped to come, the patch turned mostly grey-ish before i could see physical fur blobs growing back in.
Just a little bit of flaky skin in such heavy moult areas is okay, as long as the skin doesn't look irritated.

Might not be as visible with some buns, but loose&new fur clashing sites often leave funky moult lines:20220101_133600.jpg

Old shed-ready fur will often show a bit lighter than the rest of it. See the brownish tint on some areas of Storm's coat? That's often loose and ready to be removed.received_426637741977262.jpeg

If there are bigger patches of those extra loose bits, they might leave a big and noticeable bald spot, more so in darker coats. The lil' grey area on his rump is quite visible, which is a complete bald spot, but it darkened and regrew.
View attachment received_358704369195408_001_001.mp4
Also this video happened to be an accidental sprint dash capture.

It could be normal. If you aren't seeing excessive scratching, it could just be a heavy molt. In which case you would start seeing the new fur growth coming in on the bald spots, over the next week or so. If it doesn't and is getting worse(more flaky, excessive scratching), it could be fur mites. They cause dandruffy skin and fur loss, along with itching. You would have to have your vet do a skin scrape to check for mites. Other possibilities can be allergies or some another skin condition, but fur mites are the most common cause when there is dandruffy skin and fur loss.

Medirabbit: fur mites

Back