Baby's Health Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home a little while ago.Snuggy is behaving. I took Baby's towel out of the carrierand put it in with Snuggy for a while. When I put Baby inwith her, she was fine, licking her all over her face. Ithink she really missed her sister today.

Well, I have some bad news.

When I picked Baby up, the vet told me she has the beginnings ofcataracts on both eyes and showed me them with his light.We've also discovered that she's losthalf a pound sinceDecember. He's now concerned about diabetes. Hewants me to collect a urine sample and bring it back fortesting.

I went from having some sense of relief right back to worrying again.

I just want my Baby girl to be okay.

Oh wow - I didn't see that coming.Lots of prayers from us here. Is cataracts something that is inevitableonce it starts or can it be held off by medication... like if it isdiabetes, would getting her insulin prevent blindness...

I was freaking out yesterday. Now thatI've calmed down, I know I have to take this one step at a time(thanks, Carolyn :)).

We get the culture back some time next week. By then, we'llhave the urine tested and the doctor can make a decision aboutmeds.

He mentioned surgery for the cataracts, but I don't know if I want toput her through that. Toby was 100% blind and got around justfine. I know how to care for blind rabbits. That'sthe least of my concerns.

If it's diabetes, it's treatable. She'll take insulin injections.

I asked if Pasteurella could be the culprit and he said it'spossible. That's what worries me the most.

Ohh lots more prayers.

Prayers.jpg

Snuggys Mom wrote:
It says cataracts can be caused by E. Cuniculi.

I'm taking her in this week to get her blood tested.

There are little pellets that the vet can give you that soaks up theurine so that whenever you have to get a urine sample, you can do itwith these. It looks like Kosher Salt, kinda.

As we noted on the phone, cataracts can be caused by e-cuniculi, or itcan be a genetic disposition, geriatric, tumors can also contribute toa their cause, as can an infection situated near or in the eyeball. Asusual, there are a number of things that can cause them.

The good news is the loss of vision is usually gradual, giving the rabbit some time to adjust.

Keep it open in your mind to bring a fecal sample to the vet to testfor e-cuniculi. Remember, the fecal has to be as fresh as possible.It's even worth putting her in the car on the drive over and getting apoop from her carrier once there. I think I'd gofor the fecal test just to rule out e-cuniculi - for both Baby andSnuggy's good.

Keep us posted. Prayers continue.

I'll be taking her inher carrier toget the tests done. We'll just give her a water bottle andwait.

Getting the urine won't be a problem. The carrier edge islower, like a trough. The urine will collect there and we cansuck it up with a syringe. I'lljust have to leavethe towel out this time.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I asked if Pasteurella could be the culprit and he said it'spossible. That's what worries me the most.

Try not to jump ahead of yourself. Even if it is Pasteurella, it's treatable. :)

Carolyn wrote:
Trynot to jump ahead of yourself. Even if it is Pasteurella,it's treatable. :)
I know, I know. It's hard not to.

Carolyn wrote:
As we noted on the phone, cataracts can be caused by e-cuniculi
Did we talk about E Cuniculi on Friday? My mind was just reeling. I don't remember.

Yup, we did, Snuggy's Mom.

Remember because I was curious if she had ever gone outside andwondered if she could've caught a bug from her firstvisit.

No big deal. With all you've been through, it's understandable that you're not retaining much.

:)

Dr. Pope called back after consulting withanother vet and thinksBaby should start Baytril incombination with fenbendazole today. Once the culture comesback, he may switch her to a different antibiotic, depending on what hefinds.

The fenbendazone will only be given for a short time.

He said to watch Snuggy for any signs and if necessary, we will treather, too, but it's not often spread to healthy rabbits.Apparantly, the spores are generally shed briefly and in the earlystages of the infection.

Excellent! I'm glad he's notwaiting. He's a good doctor, Laura. You guys are ingood hands. I'm glad he's keeping an eye on Snuggytoo. Didn't want to worry you, but tried to basically saythat when I mentioned being careful of Snuggers too.

Hi Laura, :wave:

Are you having the doc check her blood for e-cuniculi?Istill think it's key to have that testdone justforpeace of mind and also, since herblood isalready in there getting checked, one more couldn't hurt.

Just a note you might want to talk to the Popeabout. I know of some vets that treat all themembers of the group if one has symptoms of e-cuniculi. I know of one instance where a rabbit was tested afterdeveloping a head-tilt and the test came back positive. Hermate tested negative. It wasn't until he developed a wetbottom that they realized that even though he tested negative the firsttime, he was infected by her.

Don't mean to alarm you, but it speaks to our conversation last night,which you've probably already spaced out - haven't ya,Goose?! :disgust:

G'day to all!!

-Carolyn

P.S. With regards to your questions last night and your feelings about the amount of baytril.

Baytril has a fairly wide dosing range. Some vets like to start high,knock out the infection, and know they can reduce the dose if there areside effects. Others start low, knowing they can increase the dose ifwell tolerated and necessary to generate the desired improvement. Bothapproaches are valid. As I said, be mindful of hisappetite and poos. You could also question himtoday about a probiotic. My vet uses equineProBios.

What is the concentration of Baytril he's using (mg/ccs)?

naturestee wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like this vet.:)
I'm loving Dr. Pope. I see Carolyn is calling him "ThePope". Hee hee - he's thePope of the animalworld.

I expected to run by and pick up the meds yesterday at the frontdesk. They told meDr. Popewanted to talkto me and explain all about the meds. This guy takes time toexplain things. We talked for quite a while. Theother vet was always rushed and made me feel like his time was way morevaluable than mine, you know what I mean?

Carolyn, he said a lot of rabbits will test positive for E. Cuniculi,but that only means that they were exposed at some point in their lifeand it may not necessarily be causing current problems. Hedidn't feel that we needed to test Snuggy or treat her unless shestarts to show symptoms. I will give her some Ivermectin tobe on the safe side.

I don't know the strength of the Baytril. I'll have to checkwhen I get home. I have to giveBaby two fullsyringes(two CCs) every 12 hours and she HATES it.She hates the Fendbendazole, too, but I'm managing to get it all inher.

I am cleaning everything tonight with a bleach and watersolution. I'll put the girls in another room and make sure Irinse everything multiple times to get rid of any residue.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Carolyn, he said a lot of rabbits will test positive for E.Cuniculi, but that only means that they were exposed at some point intheir life and it may not necessarily be causing currentproblems. He didn't feel that we needed to test Snuggy ortreat her unless she starts to show symptoms. I will give hersome Ivermectin to be on the safe side.

Yup, so true. And also the opposite happens as well - whereasthey test negative, but it's a positive. Makes sense that hewants to hold off treating unless symptoms pop up. I thinkI'd go that route myself, but I just thought I'd throw the idea at youguys anyway. I think you and he have chosen the right path.

The bottle of Baytril should indicate to you what the concentrationis...it should say something like Baytril Suspension 5 mg/ml or 10 mg/2ml ...

I hope Snuggers runs you ragged - why? Because you can use the distraction. :cool:

Latest posts

Back