Baby's Health Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart is about the same. Yesterday,she got ahold of the gauze wrapping under the vet wrap and yanked thegauze out, taking quite a bit of tissue with it and leaving a bloodymess on her heelandre-exposing the bone.:(

I re-wrapped it (leaving no gauze exposed) and she's left italone. I'm re-wrapping it again tonight and hope she doesn'tmess with it while we're out of town.

She does have another area puffing up in her upper rearleg:( I'm waiting for it to get larger before I lance it becauseI don't want to nick an artery. Otherwise, the infection hasbeen under control.

Pam

Our beautiful, brave girl munching on a carrot (her favorite treat).

Oh, bless her heart, poor thing.

She's a beautiful girl.

If the vet has to cut into Baby's leg, I'm worried about her messing with it.

IKNOW Snuggy will, so I'll have to separate them. They will be two very miserable girls. :(

Snuggys Mom wrote:
The new vet looked at the x-rays and wants to try to do aneedle aspiration (under sedation). I understand that it maybe impossible because rabbit pus isusually VERYthick.

If he finds an abscess, he'll open it, clean it and put her onantibiotics (possibly indefinitely). If he happens to find atumor, he'll biopsy it and we'll go from there.

Poor Baby!:(

Our vet advised against a needle aspiration for Binkie's dewlapabscess. She was concerned about infected material being dragged intothe surrounding tissues when the needle is withdrawn. She opted forremoval and follow up with a biopsy.
They closed it after surgery and the abscess has not returned....and we're praying that it never does.

JimD wrote:

Poor Baby!:(

Our vet advised against a needle aspiration for Binkie's dewlapabscess. She was concerned about infected material being dragged intothe surrounding tissues when the needle is withdrawn. She opted forremoval and follow up with a biopsy.

I agree - that is one reason the plastic surgeon did not needle biopsy a cyst on my daughter's face.

Pam

Baby's appointment is tomorrow morning. I will ask about the needle aspiration, but I think he'll go ahead and do it. From the x-ray, it doesn't lookl ike an abscess, but more like inflammation. It's not really concentrated, if you know what I mean.

I'll also ask about injectable antibiotics and beads.

I hope we can finally get to the bottom of this tomorrow. Four months is a long time when you're worried about your baby.

Snuggy's not coming along this time, so I'm prepared to keep them separated when I get Baby home. Snuggy will be a jerk, I'msure.

I'll worry about Baby though. The last time they were separated, she didn't eat a bite until Snuggy came back. :(

Wish us luck

I somehow completely missed this thread, Laura! Im glad you found a new vet and I hope he is able to ascertain what is wrong.

My vet did aspirate Max's tooth root abscess when we first found it. Hewas able to get a little bit of pus, so we knew it was an abscess andscheduled surgery from there. I know the first time the abscess wasremoved the doctor closed the wound up completely and it did come back.But he didnt use the beads andMax was only on baytril. As Iexpected, it came back. The second time I used a different vet and heleft a small hole open that I was to flush out daily for a few weeks.Max was also put on Bicillin injections. Its been almost 2 months andso far hes doing well.

I really hope it not an abcess though, they can really be a pain to deal with.

I'll be praying for your little one. Please let us know how it goes.

Haley

PS. Thats great about Snuggy being spayed!

I dropped Baby off at the vet's this morning forher joint tap. I left a message for him to call me before he does anything.

Poor Baby was so scared. Without Snuggy there to comfort her, she freaked out a little. She was breathing really fast and trembling.

Before we left home, I rubbed Snuggy good with a towel (to get her scent on it), then put it in the carrier with Baby, hoping that would make her feel a little better.

I want this day to be over!

How come Snuggy couldnt go with her? I alwayssend Basil in with Max, they let them be together before and aftersurgery (once Max wakes up).

I'll be praying for Baby.:pray: I know how hard it is to be waiting, not knowing.

I'm sure the vet would have been okay with me bringing Snuggy along, but Snuggy tends to bully Baby when they are separated, even if it's only a few minutes. I didn't want the vet staff to have to play referee with them. I'll just deal with it later on.

I wanted to ask opinions here about this. If I bring Baby home and Snuggy bullies her, should I let Baby stay in their cage by herself and put Snuggy in the extra cage?

I think Baby would be more stressed if I put her in a strange cage. But if I put Snuggy in the strange cage, it might make her angrier, and she doesn't forgive easily or quickly.

Your thoughts?

Yeah, I think your gut feeling on that is right,I would probably let Baby be in her normal cage. Shes already had astressful day and she will be glad to be home to relax.

I cant remember what your cage looks like, but any way you could put alittle divider in it so they can see eachother? I had to do this whenTumnus was overgrooming Lucy, I just put a few nic panels in the middleto separate them.

Baby's awake! She did well.

The vet did not find an abscess. He said the fluid was thin, no pus, so that's good.

He sent it to the lab for a culture, so we won't know exactly what we're dealing with until next week.

Thanks for the suggestion, Haley and Steph. That's a GREATidea. I have to remember to get zip ties thisafternoon.

Maybe I'll put Snuggy in the carrier while I fix the cage so she'll getsome of that "vet scent" on her, too. Who knows, maybe she'llbe nice this time.

So glad its not abscessed. I really hope itsnothing serious, you'll probably be on pins and needles waiting forthat culture to develop!

Well, I know youmust be relieved that it's not an abscess, but I also know it'll behard to relax until the results come back.:hug2: for you andBaby.

:D So glad there was no abcess... now I wonder what it could be... hopfully the tests will show something conclusive.

When do you pick your girl up and how are they doing together??

Nadia

Yay for no abscess!:bunnydance:

Along with the cage divider, have you ever tried putting vanilla onboth of their noses? That way Snuggy can't smell eau de veton Baby.

Latest posts

Back