Baby Bunny Updates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
So I was out feeding the rabbits yesterday, Princess usually has free roam of the shed and she was on top of the bale of hay as usual, then she went into it, I went over and she had made a little burrow into it. She was gone for ages and I thought maybe she was sick and hiding, when she came back up I put her in her cage to keep an eye on her incase she needed a vet. A couple of hours later I went over to the burrow cause I wanted to see how deep she made it, at the bottom I felt something moving! I thought it was a rat so ran off and when my Dad came home I told him to go out and see what it was and get rid of it, he called me out and it was five baby rabbits!

Princess had put a ton of fur on them so it was easy to guess who owned them. I moved them into her cage along with the nest she had made in the hay and hoped they would be ok, I didn't want to make a thread on her because I wasn't sure if she would feed them because I moved them but this morning she was feeding them, and they are very strong so I'm happy.

Kind of sucks because I was planning on breeding my nethie to a friends nethie but there you go, they are adorable anyways :)

Heres some pics, I won't have anymore till tomorrow morning because I'm afraid she'll kill them or not feed them.

GEDC2921.jpg

GEDC2922.jpg

GEDC2924.jpg

I was out giving Princess some oats and the babies were very active, the nest was moving alot and they were making little grunty/squeaky noises, is that ok? I know for sure she fed them this morning.

that *think anyways* means thye are hungry.
sure does are ment to feed them morning and then night??? yes???
or it could mean they want mum to cover them up.
its 15 up here

I did some research on genetics last night and went onto a genetics calendar and as far as I know when a black tort (Princess) and an agouti (Thumper) breed, agouti is dominate so more likely to get agoutis, agouti babies are born black with pink bellies, which a few are, but some are totally black, I'm guessing it's because Princess has spots of black and both could have black in their genes.

irishbunny wrote:
I did some research on genetics last night and went onto a genetics calendar and as far as I know when a black tort (Princess) and an agouti (Thumper) breed, agouti is dominate so more likely to get agoutis, agouti babies are born black with pink bellies, which a few are, but some are totally black, I'm guessing it's because Princess has spots of black and both could have black in their genes.
Well there going to be a hole load of cuteness! Are you going to keep them all?

irishbunny wrote:
Heres some pics, I won't have anymore till tomorrow morning because I'm afraid she'll kill them or not feed them.

GEDC2924.jpg
Was just looking at this again and it reminds me of a tiny little seal since he/she looks so shiny!

Sounds like the Sire has a a single agouti gene carrier meaning I can throw agouti and non-agoutis. So mom is a shaded... and since the babies are black and blue with pink bellies this says daddy does not carry shaded. When colors breed together and no genes match or no dominate gene is gave to the baby you get blacks, it has nothing to do with mom having a black spot. Confusing, yes.

The babies with pink bellies shall be chetsnut agouti and the solid ones are black. All carry shaded but as far as that I can not say.

Latest posts

Back