Awful Day!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is the hpv vaccine only needed if you have multiple partners in you're life? That is what I heard, you get hpv outbreaks from switching partners because of bacteria. I am married, so I only and will only have my husband, obviously. I am 20 years old, too.

Or does the Gardisil shot also prevent uterine cancer in the future regardless of only sticking to one partner?

It confuses me, lol.

The HPV vaccine protects you from a few strains of HPV.
Assuming that you are in a monogamous relationship and neither of you have these strains of HPV now, no, you won't get them and, heaven forbid you get cervical cancer, it wouldn't be caused by those strains.

There are, of course, other strains of HPV - many that aren't STI's- and it is possible to get cervical cancer without getting HPV first.

undergunfire wrote:
So is the hpv vaccine only needed if you have multiple partners in you're life? That is what I heard, you get hpv outbreaks from switching partners because of bacteria. I am married, so I only and will only have my husband, obviously. I am 20 years old, too.

Or does the Gardisil shot also prevent uterine cancer in the future regardless of only sticking to one partner?

It confuses me, lol.

I'm not actually on my period atm but omg I have been in so much pain today!! Belly ache, leg ache and headache! Its 28 days since I had my first one on the 18th so..

jcottonl02 wrote:
Yeah definately. Like you don't have to run out buying a pregnancy test every month lol.
But my periods just drive me a bit crazy and I just love not having them- I can go swimming any time without feeling self-conscious and bloated, I can wear my lil white mini-dress and not worry, I can go running without feeling all bloated and irritated.

I just love it lol. I love being able to have complete control over when my periods come.

I want a period in two days? Stop the pill. I don't want a period for three months because I have exams and then holiday? I continue taking it.
I do the same thing. I have endometriosis bad and have had a few surgeries for it. It's the only way to control my pain and allow me to function like a normal person. It's amazing, and I love it!

undergunfire wrote:

It confuses me, lol.

This is not true. HPV isn't a bacteria- it's an STI. It's called the 'Human Papilloma Virus' and is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases.

Someone can carry the hpv virus without knowing it. If you have unprotected sex (which personally I think is just stupid) then you are at risk of catching it. It shouldn't be linked with promiscuity or anything negative, because you can still catch it even if you use protection and are careful. Like any STIs, condoms are not 100% effective in preventing you from catching it.

If you have unprotected sex with someone who happens to have it, you can then get it. It remains in your system and you can unknowingly pass it on.

It doesn't matter how many partners you have. Just if they happen to carry it. If you always use protection, your chance of catching it are very low. However, the more partners you have, the higher your chance of catching it.

That's why they only introduced the vaccine in schools for the year 8s- it was unlikely any of them have had sex, so they could vaccinate them with full cover.
If you have had sex then it's still very worthwhile having it, as it will still be effective.

It doesn't matter how old you are- it just matters whether it has been passed to you.
If your husband has had other sexual partners then there is a possibilty he has it- that is just a possibility. Seeing as sometimes there are no symptoms, the vaccine can prevent it from causing problems later if you have it, such as cevical cancer.

Basically I think it's worthwhile you getting it while you can.

trailsend wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
Yeah definately. Like you don't have to run out buying a pregnancy test every month lol.
But my periods just drive me a bit crazy and I just love not having them- I can go swimming any time without feeling self-conscious and bloated, I can wear my lil white mini-dress and not worry, I can go running without feeling all bloated and irritated.

I just love it lol. I love being able to have complete control over when my periods come.

I want a period in two days? Stop the pill. I don't want a period for three months because I have exams and then holiday? I continue taking it.
I do the same thing. I have endometriosis bad and have had a few surgeries for it. It's the only way to control my pain and allow me to function like a normal person. It's amazing, and I love it!
Sorry to hear that. :(

At least you can control it! It is a truely amazing thing :)

I cannot stress how important annual pap smear tests are even if you have the same partner. It takes less than 5 minutes and if you have a good doctor isn't a big deal. My mother died of cervical cancer - and no woman in the modern world should be dying of cervical cancer anymore, it's completely treatable when caught early enough. Also you could get the HPV virus at say, 16 and not even know anything about it until you are 40 and suddenly are dealing with cancer. People don't know they have it, so it in no way means you are promiscuous. You might have one or two partners your entire life and get it. It takes TEN years to turn to cancer from the time it starts it's first stage (which does not always happen.) So anytime it's caught in those 10 years they can get rid of it. If it turns to cancer, that's another story. Prevention is the best medicine.

I believe you can get the Gardisil vaccine until you are 24 so if you can, get it. If you are too old or don't want to get it, keeping up on your pap tests will also keep you safe. At least in Canada if you have three clean tests in a row, you can get your pap smear every two years. It's worth it.

And thanks Jen, it was a nightmare but I am in the best shape I've been in in years now that I'm on the pill all the time. I was on it before but a different brand and also stopping each month. I was in pain all the time, not just during my period, and even after my last surgery. So we needed to control it. For now, it's working :)So I am very happy!

Ah Donna I'm so happy for you.
Women have to deal with so many problems lol, and it's nice to be able to have control over one of them, and not have to worry about it :)
I had the implant for a while because I liked the idea of not having to remember to take a pill every morning, especially when you're in too much of a hurry to even shove toast down your throat, let alone take a pill.
But I just had a constant period for about a year lol. It would stop, and start, be heavy for a month, then pretend to stop for a few days with spotting etc.
And constant period pain. Fun.

Drove me insane. Went to the docs, said 'cut this thing out my arm!' lol and I've never been happy to try and remember to take the miracle pill in the morning.

I wonder why there are so many types and brands of pill though.
Does anyone know?

I know, I know,
Some pills have more of a , greater percentage for pregnancy prevention. But the ones with lesser percentage are for people who try to regulate their period without so many side effects.

Yeah-did some research, and there are two different types; the combined pill which is 99.8% effective, and the mini-pill is only between 92%-98% effective.

The mini-pill only contains one hormone, instead of two, and so it is less effective, but has fewer and milder side effects.

Apparently Mercilon (which is the pill I'm on) is good because it is the combined pill, so 99.8% effective, but it doesn't generally have any side effects (except, apparently bigger boobs..which is fine by me!!). I certainly haven't had any bad side effects.

I've always been sooo lucky with my skin and complexion, but when I was on the implant I used to break out in so many spots! It was just ridiculous; I barely got one spot a month and then I went on the implant and was permanently breaking out.

That was one of the reasons that I got it removed and went back on the pill- it's just so much better.

But I guess you don't know if you're going to be one of the unlucky ones until you try something.

Back