Attacks feet and leg! Rippes oout chunks of skin!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethetailyall

Reaction score
Ok so my bunny is doing great..she cant waittill i come see her..she is great to hold but on the ground when shegets really exited(im gessing) she bites your pants,or bare legs..notlike a little nip its more like she grabs,clamps and pulls so she liketryes to take chunks out of you!Its only when she is on the groundrunnine around..and it scares me becaus ei dont want to cuddle with herbecause i worried she will bit the butts out of me! and once i broghther up stairs(where she had never been) and she just started to attackme!

Help!:X:?

Some bunnies are just aggressive and you have to be patient and careful with them. Give her free time and let her come to you.

Also, this sort of aggressive/territorial behavior can usually be helped by spaying, but I know youre opposed to that.

Other than spaying, I dont have much advice. Just be patient with her.

I am ..and she comes to me and folows me..butwhen she gets exited she is like a dog and just starts attacking me..idont understand..and i dont know how to tell her to not do itagain.Like a stern voic.a push away..?

Sounds like she's attacking you to "breed" as this is what unspayed does will often do.

Best thing to do? I'm sure others have already said it - spay her and she'll settle down and be much better.

Otherwise, wear long pants and gloves. Good luck.

Peg

lovethetailyall wrote:
I am ..and shecomes to me and folows me..but when she gets exited she is like a dogand just starts attacking me..i dont understand..and i dont know how totell her to not do it again.Like a stern voic.a push away..?

Hi :),

Sorry to hear your girl is being like this! I had a similar thing witha rabbit I had last year, her name was Dodge. She was the lovliest girlbut would get very aggressive towards me when she smelt other rabbitson me, bucks in particular. She would charge at my legs nipping andgrunting.

She would also do this when she was feeling like being mated - I knowthat sounds a bit strange but she wasn't spayed. She seemed to be bothangry and excited to smell a buck on me.

It was kind of scary seeing as she was free range and would comecharging at me across the lawn! What I would do was make sure I handledher first, kept her well away from any other buns so she never smeltthem, and when she charged me I would bend down and press her head tothe ground - firlmy but kindly - then hunker down next to her and startto pat her gently and talk to her in a calm voice.

Hope some of this helps.

Cool! thx!

minilops wrote:
Hi :),

Sorry to hear your girl is being like this! I had a similar thing witha rabbit I had last year, her name was Dodge. She was the lovliest girlbut would get very aggressive towards me when she smelt other rabbitson me, bucks in particular. She would charge at my legs nipping andgrunting.

She would also do this when she was feeling like being mated - I knowthat sounds a bit strange but she wasn't spayed. She seemed to be bothangry and excited to smell a buck on me.

It was kind of scary seeing as she was free range and would comecharging at me across the lawn! What I would do was make sure I handledher first, kept her well away from any other buns so she never smeltthem, and when she charged me I would bend down and press her head tothe ground - firlmy but kindly - then hunker down next to her and startto pat her gently and talk to her in a calm voice.

Hope some of this helps.

and when she charged me I would bend downand press her head to the ground - firlmy but kindly - then hunker downnext to her and start to pat her gently and talk to her in a calmvoice.
This is the method I used too, when Raph used to run after me in theyard if I got too close to Anna. When I would press him to the ground Iwould say firmly, "Raph...NO!", followed with lots of praise andstrokes as soon as he calmed down. And it worked quite well;after doing this a few times he would still come after me, but if Ishouted out, "Raph NO!" it would cause him to either stop in histracks, or to turn away at the last moment. (I could just see the cogsin his little bunny brain spinning and orders being barked out in hishead..."Abort mission! Abort mission! Target is onto us!" ;))

This worked on our boys before they gotclipped.....when she attacks you.....make a high pitch screem so itstartles her....followed by a firm NO!!!!.....Spaying will most likely help the greatest...reduce some of the hormonelevels

She plans on breeding.

chrisl1976 wrote:
make a high pitch screem so it startles her....followed by afirm NO!!!!.....
Ahigh-pitched scream/squeal is also the sound a bunny makeswhen they're in pain, so it can also be used to tell a bunny thatbites/scratches/etc. "ouch! that hurt me!". I used this method with oneof my boys that would nip continually, and it worked very well. Hequickly made the connection that nips hurt mommy, and stopped.

As a breeder, I simply want to point out that it isn't wise to breed a rabbit with a bad temperament like this.

Most breeders who hear about it (or experience it from a kit) will notwant to buy from you again. Pet buyers who buy a kit that isn't greatwill also be sure to remember to NOT buy from you again.

On the lionhead list we had a discussion recently about temperament andbreeding rabbits and stuff and many people shared their experiences andit was generally agreed upon by the more experienced breeders (moreexperienced than I) that they would not breed an aggressive rabbit. Inthe long run, it just doesn't work out and it hurts your reputationmore than anything else....

Or at least that was from private comments that were sent to me based upon the discussion...

Peg

JadeIcing wrote:
She plans on breeding.

Ohh no she is a vary sweet bunny she justbites me when i bring her up stairs..i was thinging..could it be she isso scared...like she is too far from her cage..her cage is downstairs..?:?

TinysMom wrote:
As a breeder, I simply want to point out that it isn't wise to breed a rabbit with a bad temperament like this.

Most breeders who hear about it (or experience it from a kit) will notwant to buy from you again. Pet buyers who buy a kit that isn't greatwill also be sure to remember to NOT buy from you again.

On the lionhead list we had a discussion recently about temperament andbreeding rabbits and stuff and many people shared their experiences andit was generally agreed upon by the more experienced breeders (moreexperienced than I) that they would not breed an aggressive rabbit. Inthe long run, it just doesn't work out and it hurts your reputationmore than anything else....

Or at least that was from private comments that were sent to me based upon the discussion...

Peg

JadeIcing wrote:
She plans on breeding.

lovethetailyall wrote:
Ohh no she is a vary sweet bunny she just bites me when ibring her up stairs..i was thinging..could it be she is soscared...like she is too far from her cage..her cage is downstairs..?:?
I highly doubt it. I do believe the advice everyone has given you iscorrect -- it's hormonal. Spaying would eliminate this problem.

I have an unneutered male (who will be neutered in just 2-3 weeks whenhe gets over his illness) who constantly circles my feet and nips at mylegs. He's trying to 'mount' me because he is not neutered. Once I gethim neutered, this won't be a problem anymore.

It's all about hormones, really. Nobody's mad at you - we've been trying to help you out!

Some bunnies do mount/spray/etc. after spay/neuter, when they're veryexcited about something. But it's not something they feel driven to doanymore. Intact rabbits have mating behavior in their genes - in thewild, frequent mating increases the odds of the rabbit populationsurviving. You really *don't* need that happening with pet bunnies -see this article for some helpful info.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/spay.html

You know what? As moderators we might get frustrated at times - but mad? Over something like this? :shock:

You asked us for advice. We gave you what we know. Whether you take it or not is up to you...

You've heard from both pet owners and breeders on this issue. You choose not to believe us.

Apparently you've heard other information that was 'correct".

Fine - you need to choose what you want to believe. But to say we're"mad" because you don't take our advice....well...I honestly think thatthe mods and other members of this forum are so busy helpingpeople....we don't really have time to be "mad".

Peg

lovethetailyall wrote:
I Alreadyknow you are mad becuase i dident spay her but it can be somehtingelse..i have seen spayed rabbits do it.There info was correct:)

Latest posts

Back