Ash's adventures!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, if they aren't a pair already I would suggest each having a cage of their own. You will want to be sure to get 2 of the same sex unless you are prepared for babies. I'm going from memory here but my parakeet's cage was 18 by 12 rectangular cage, I think that is the minimum size for a cage for a parakeet. Never buy the cute round cages. If you are planning on putting them in one cage I would make sure neither have been in it before or you will have territorial issues like with bunnies. Oh, the cage bars are the most important, they should not be bigger the 5/8 inches, for parakeets I like half inch bar spacing myself. For 2 parakeets in the same cage they need plenty of room because just like humans & buns they don't always like who we think they should. In a cage they have no escape if one doesn't like the other or becomes a bully or is a male & wants to mate. 2 parakeets I would definitely get a 24 inch by 24 inch minimum cage, 36 by 24 would be better. This is similar to what I had for my single parakeet: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+10346+5062+25751&pcatid=25751

Cages are the biggest cost & I do urge you to get a good quality cage. If you want help finding a good cage let me know & the price range & I will see what I can do. Also, the buying forum I'm on his discounts. I currently have bigger birds & have them all in King's cages. They are more expensive though but I can help you find some good quality cages & good prices.

Well, at the pet store they have a bunch of budgies, maybe 15 all with clipped wings in an a glass box with an open top. They all seem to like eatchother. Would I be able to buy 2 of those and keep them both in the same cage? Or would it be best to give them eatch seperate cages? Also I'm certaintly not going to get a male and a female I don't want any babies there are enough poor animals in this world without homes. If we do get budgies I think I'll get two males.

Thanks for the advice on the cages. I'm not sure about the price range maybe 50-200 dollars. The cheaper the better if its a good cage. Could you post some links to some good cages you know about for sale?

Well, at the pet store they have a bunch of budgies, maybe 15 all with clipped wings in an a glass box with an open top. They all seem to like eatchother. Would I be able to buy 2 of those and keep them both in the same cage? Or would it be best to give them eatch seperate cages? Also I'm certaintly not going to get a male and a female I don't want any babies there are enough poor animals in this world without homes. If we do get budgies I think I'll get two males.

Thanks for the advice on the cages. I'm not sure about the price range maybe 50-200 dollars. The cheaper the better if its a good cage. Could you post some links to some good cages you know about for sale?

Depending on their age it may be difficult to tell whether the parakeets you are interested in are male or female. Even the cere can change colors so you can think you have a male to begin with & it turns out later when they have matured sexually that it is a female. So personally I think if you can & have the room I would do 2 smaller 18 by 18 inch cages. Let me check around a bit & get back with you with some links of some good cages. Drs Foster & Smith has a free shipping policy with purchases over $49 but I'm not sure if that includes their cages if you would be interested. Some places that sell cages have free delivery if you are interested. Anyway, let me check around a bit & I can provide you with some links to look at some good cages for parakeets around your price range.

Depending on their age it may be difficult to tell whether the parakeets you are interested in are male or female. Even the cere can change colors so you can think you have a male to begin with & it turns out later when they have matured sexually that it is a female. So personally I think if you can & have the room I would do 2 smaller 18 by 18 inch cages. Let me check around a bit & get back with you with some links of some good cages. Drs Foster & Smith has a free shipping policy with purchases over $49 but I'm not sure if that includes their cages if you would be interested. Some places that sell cages have free delivery if you are interested. Anyway, let me check around a bit & I can provide you with some links to look at some good cages for parakeets around your price range.

I think that the budgies are at least a few months old. I'll ask the pet store owner. But if we do get budgies it will probably be about a month from now. So we have plenty of time to find out the ages, gender and everything else. Thanks for looking for cages for me.

Would this cage be big enough for two parakeets? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-BIRD-...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f23f844c4

EDIT: nevermind, I checked the auction again and its a pick up only auction.

The width measurement is 27 & depth is 14. I personally would want something bigger for two parakeet size birds. Remember as with bunnies & humans, they don't always like each other or get along so if they are in one cage you want to ensure they have their personal space away from the other. Also, you will want to add a few extra perches & toys which will take up some of that space. Also, watch for areas in/on the cage that a bird might catch their leg or otherwise get caught in. Those cages with the doors that slide open by lifting up, you will want to be careful with them. Sometimes birds will try to slip out & get hurt when the door falls.

Sorry misread the dimensions. No, that would be too little room for 2 parakeets. Be sure the bar spacing is half inch to no more the 5/8th inch spacing. I would get a flight cage for two parakeets. Would give them room to themselves if needed & room for short little flights.

36 inches length by 24 inch depth with 24 inch high would be the smallest cage I would want to put parakeets in with the half inch bar spacing preferably.

I haven't updated about Ash in a while. Everything is going fine, except its starting to get hot here so he is having a hard time in the heat, poor bunny. I froze some water in a plastic water bottle and it seems to be helping him. I also read about a dog cooling pad, I might buy that for him.

I'd like to show you all something funny I crocheted yesterday, here it is:
php6qgjgcam-1-6997.jpg

phpagyzkyam-6996.jpg

php7clqqiam-6995.jpg

Glad to help with the parakeet cages! Keep me posted &/or let me know if I can help with the parakeets.

Ash is an outside bun? I live in a major hot spot temperature-wise & I can't even stand our heat & humidity. We are already getting temps in the 80's! Our heat & humidity keeps it warm until late in the night! Wish I could move but my parents live here & have health problems so need to be near to help them. Hope you & Ash can keep cool with the warmer weather coming! Good idea with freezing water in the plastic bottles, I do that too. This will be my buns first spring/summer together!

lol That is funny! I have a friend would make a cute gift for them! lol They're having allot of dental work done! Makes me cringe just thinking about having dental work done!

Glad to help with the parakeet cages! Keep me posted &/or let me know if I can help with the parakeets.

Ash is an outside bun? I live in a major hot spot temperature-wise & I can't even stand our heat & humidity. We are already getting temps in the 80's! Our heat & humidity keeps it warm until late in the night! Wish I could move but my parents live here & have health problems so need to be near to help them. Hope you & Ash can keep cool with the warmer weather coming! Good idea with freezing water in the plastic bottles, I do that too. This will be my buns first spring/summer together!

lol That is funny! I have a friend would make a cute gift for them! lol They're having allot of dental work done! Makes me cringe just thinking about having dental work done!

We probably will be getting parakeets. I'm not sure when. So when we come close to the time of buying them I'll probably get a cage or two. For now I don't have any more questions, I'll definitely let you know if I have any later on.

Ash is not an outside bun, but unfortunately we don't have air conditioning. So I'll be doing my best to keep everyone cool. Its getting to be 80's here too and later on in summer it will get up to the 90's. Last summer it was 90's here and Ash was pretty hot, I didn't know then that, that kind of heat is dangerous for bunnies. But luckily he was fine, but I'm not taking chances this year I'm going to probably get a fan for Ash too.

Yes I don't like the thought of dental work either. But I thought that the crochet teeth were pretty funny. Here is the pattern for it if you want to make it: http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/94396.aspx

Oh, I feel for you with no air conditioning! Our summers are so bad I don't think I could make it without air conditioning any more! Hope you can stay cool!

Thanks!

Oh, I feel for you with no air conditioning! Our summers are so bad I don't think I could make it without air conditioning any more! Hope you can stay cool!

Thanks!

Oh yeah, its pretty hard with out air conditioning, it really helps to go swimming. But Ash can't swim, so I'll have to think of another way of keeping him cool. Its not hot right now, maybe 70 degrees out but later on in the day it will get hotter. I think a fan will help Ash, and maybe when I make the run I'll try to put it under some big shady trees. I'll replace his water often with cold water and maybe if it gets too hot I heard of misting bunnies, so maybe if it gets too hot I'll mist him with cool water. If he doesn't like it he will always be able to run away from it.

It won't hurt for you to have some either ;) like fruity popsicles!! MMMmm... I can't wait for summer, I think I'm going to set up a big playpen on my balcony for my two rotten bunnies :)

Back