Ash's adventures!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Ilovemyrabbit! Saving those sites & printing up the patterns! Another big thank you for the Ravelry web site! A friend had given me that site & when my computer went down I lost it & couldn't remember the name! Hope I can do some of these patterns as well as I did the afghans or even better!

:bouquet::carrotHappy birthday Ash....I hope he had some special treats today....

Bandy is 1 next Sunday...can´t believe the time passes so quickly.

:hugsquish::adorable:

Thanks Chris! He did get some special carrot treats! He loves those. I was going to bake him a pellet cake, but it got late and I was out going to church. So I think I'll bake it for him tomorrow and walk him outside since he loves that.

Wow, Bandy is going to be 1 next sunday?! Yes your right time does fly,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Ilovemyrabbit! Saving those sites & printing up the patterns! Another big thank you for the Ravelry web site! A friend had given me that site & when my computer went down I lost it & couldn't remember the name! Hope I can do some of these patterns as well as I did the afghans or even better!

Your welcome! Glad I helped :). Yes the ravelry site is a great place for looking for crochet patterns! I'm not an afghan person (I hate having to go back and forth crocheting without increases or decreases, lol.) I once tried to crochet a blanket, but I ended up turning it into a dress, lol. Anyway I think that if you are going to crochet small things it should be pretty quick to crochet them, you can crochet a lot of those pattens I gave you in a couple of hours usually 1-2. I was wondering, what kind of crocheting are you going to do? Like are you going to crochet amigurumi or maybe small things like washcloths, ect. And what size objects are you willing to crochet? I could share some of my patterns, if they are not too big. I'm also constantly looking for patterns so if I come across some that are the size you want to crochet I can save them and share them with you later.

Its going to be 71 degrees out today, woo hoo!!! And its going to be May soon which means I get to plant soon, another big woo hoo :D!!!

Anyway I am planning on building Ash a run outside, its going to be pretty big. I'm also thinking about building Ash lots of toys and stuff out of a wild apple tree (we have lots of wild apple trees near us) I know Ash would like to have a run, and I could build it under a big tree so that he gets shade during the summer. I'll have to plot where I'm going to build the run but once I decide I'll take pictures for everyone to see.

What are you all looking most forward to this summer? What I'm looking forward to most this summer is swimming, gardening, diving, and just being able to relax out in the warm sunshine.

I'm not sure I'll be on RO much when summer comes around, because I'll be busying myself with the activities listed above, but I'll come on whenever I can.

On another note: I can't believe RO had 2,461 users online today!

Your welcome! Glad I helped :). Yes the ravelry site is a great place for looking for crochet patterns! I'm not an afghan person (I hate having to go back and forth crocheting without increases or decreases, lol.) I once tried to crochet a blanket, but I ended up turning it into a dress, lol. Anyway I think that if you are going to crochet small things it should be pretty quick to crochet them, you can crochet a lot of those pattens I gave you in a couple of hours usually 1-2. I was wondering, what kind of crocheting are you going to do? Like are you going to crochet amigurumi or maybe small things like washcloths, ect. And what size objects are you willing to crochet? I could share some of my patterns, if they are not too big. I'm also constantly looking for patterns so if I come across some that are the size you want to crochet I can save them and share them with you later.

Thank you, Ilovemyrabbit! Most of my crochet work has been making afghans but would love to try to make some of the smaller items. I'm a self/mom taught crocheter! lol My mom taught me the basic stitches when I was little & then I learned more when I got older & wanted something simple to do while relaxing. Have a hard time just sitting still watching TV or reading. lol Used to have some great afghan patterns & still have many of the afghans I made! I've never done any amigurumi but definitely want to try it! Need to get some crochet hooks. Mine have been packed away since I moved so easier to buy one or two to get started. Any not-to-complicated patterns are greatly appreciated.

Its going to be 71 degrees out today, woo hoo!!! And its going to be May soon which means I get to plant soon, another big woo hoo :D!!!

Anyway I am planning on building Ash a run outside, its going to be pretty big. I'm also thinking about building Ash lots of toys and stuff out of a wild apple tree (we have lots of wild apple trees near us) I know Ash would like to have a run, and I could build it under a big tree so that he gets shade during the summer. I'll have to plot where I'm going to build the run but once I decide I'll take pictures for everyone to see.

What are you all looking most forward to this summer? What I'm looking forward to most this summer is swimming, gardening, diving, and just being able to relax out in the warm sunshine.

I'm not sure I'll be on RO much when summer comes around, because I'll be busying myself with the activities listed above, but I'll come on whenever I can.

On another note: I can't believe RO had 2,461 users online today!

Wow! That is wonderful! You will have to share photos of the run for Ash! Maybe photos while its in progress! I know there will be plenty of interest here! I'm envious! I was hoping when I moved I would be able to build a nice outdoor flight for my birds but I had to settle for another place with little yard! Hoping one day I will be able to get that dream home with my bird flight & a nice bunny run for the birds, buns & everyone to relax & enjoy! How about a nice apple branch teepee for Ash? Or Ash's apple branch log cabin? Sounds like a fun & productive summer for you & Ash! Can't wait to read more about all those fun projects! Have a great summer!

Thank you, Ilovemyrabbit! Most of my crochet work has been making afghans but would love to try to make some of the smaller items. I'm a self/mom taught crocheter! lol My mom taught me the basic stitches when I was little & then I learned more when I got older & wanted something simple to do while relaxing. Have a hard time just sitting still watching TV or reading. lol Used to have some great afghan patterns & still have many of the afghans I made! I've never done any amigurumi but definitely want to try it! Need to get some crochet hooks. Mine have been packed away since I moved so easier to buy one or two to get started. Any not-to-complicated patterns are greatly appreciated.

Yes, I like to crochet small items also. I love how quicly small things can be crocheted. I love to crochet it really helps me relax after a hard days work
and sometimes like you a tv or reading just doesn't do it for me. That is cool that you still have afghans and afghan patterns, I would like to try crocheting an afghan sometime. I know they can be really pretty especially when crocheted in a dozen different colors. I think you'll like doing amigurumi its addicting. :) I think I'll buy this book of patterns here just to get the polar lucibear pattern he is so cute: http://www.interweavestore.com/Croc...-eBook.html?SessionThemeID=19&_iwcspid=127784 here he is: http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/127784.aspx and here are some free beginner amigurumi patterns I found: http://voices.yahoo.com/free-easy-animal-amigurumi-patterns-6843946.html?cat=24 http://freeamigurumipatterns.blogspot.com/2011/11/beginners-amigurumi-crochet-monsters.html I think I'll try to start a crochet group under groups under RO. I'll be posting a lot of links to patterns there so they will be easy for you to find and for others who are into crocheting. Once I have it made I'll post the link on my blog, or you can just click on groups and see if I have it up yet. Yes you should pick up some crochet hooks and some yarn (Unless you already have yarn) and try your hand at some amigurumi, it should be pretty fun :).

Last edited:
Wow! That is wonderful! You will have to share photos of the run for Ash! Maybe photos while its in progress! I know there will be plenty of interest here! I'm envious! I was hoping when I moved I would be able to build a nice outdoor flight for my birds but I had to settle for another place with little yard! Hoping one day I will be able to get that dream home with my bird flight & a nice bunny run for the birds, buns & everyone to relax & enjoy! How about a nice apple branch teepee for Ash? Or Ash's apple branch log cabin? Sounds like a fun & productive summer for you & Ash! Can't wait to read more about all those fun projects! Have a great summer!

Yes, I'm escited to make it. I know Ash will love it :)! I will definitely take pictures, and good idea I hadn't thougt of taking pictures while I was building it I had only thought of taking pictures of the finished thing I think I will take pictures during the building process, possibly even make insrtuctions on how to build it. I'm sure one day you will be able to build a run for your birds and bunnies I bet they would like a run too. Yes, there are lots of toys to make for Ash but he doesn't seem too in to toys. I think a log cabin like what you were suggesting would be better because he loves houses and I'm sure he would love to be able to chew on it plus it will help keep his teeth short, not that the hay isn't already doing that but still I'm sure the more he has to chew on the better. Also with him running on the ground it would probably help wear his nails down just like wild bunnies. But I'll probably still have to clip them anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you for the patterns! Oh, I love the Polar Lucibear! So cute! I have a few skeins of yarn I had purchased hoping to get my mom back into crocheting. She has some health problems & I was hoping the pattern for a coffee cozy would be a nice little project for her. Still trying to get her interested in crocheting again or find some other projects. Great idea to start a crochet group here at RO! I would like to take part!

Yes, I'm escited to make it. I know Ash will love it :)! I will definitely take pictures, and good idea I hadn't thougt of taking pictures while I was building it I had only thought of taking pictures of the finished thing I think I will take pictures during the building process, possibly even make insrtuctions on how to build it. I'm sure one day you will be able to build a run for your birds and bunnies I bet they would like a run too. Yes, there are lots of toys to make for Ash but he doesn't seem too in to toys. I think a log cabin like what you were suggesting would be better because he loves houses and I'm sure he would love to be able to chew on it plus it will help keep his teeth short, not that the hay isn't already doing that but still I'm sure the more he has to chew on the better. Also with him running on the ground it would probably help wear his nails down just like wild bunnies. But I'll probably still have to clip them anyway.

Yes, I'm sure everyone would be interested in pix & instructions on how you make your bunny run! It will give creative people good ideas & those who aren't a guideline to make their own "Ash's Run!" You are so talented & creative! Can't wait to see it in progress! I want to do one!!!!!

Thank you for the patterns! Oh, I love the Polar Lucibear! So cute! I have a few skeins of yarn I had purchased hoping to get my mom back into crocheting. She has some health problems & I was hoping the pattern for a coffee cozy would be a nice little project for her. Still trying to get her interested in crocheting again or find some other projects. Great idea to start a crochet group here at RO! I would like to take part!

Yes I thought he was pretty cute too. I hope you can get your mom interested in crocheting again. I think it would be a good relaxing thing for her to do. What kind of things does she like to crochet? I might be able to help find some patterns for you to give her, or for you to try yourself. I want to make a crochet group, and I tried to make it last night but apparently there is a problem with it, it only lets me write one letter for the description of the group, hopefully a moderator will fix it. I asked a question about it in the How to section and a moderator said that they tried to start a group and got the same problem. So hopefully someone will fix it.

Yes, I'm sure everyone would be interested in pix & instructions on how you make your bunny run! It will give creative people good ideas & those who aren't a guideline to make their own "Ash's Run!" You are so talented & creative! Can't wait to see it in progress! I want to do one!!!!!

Yes, I'm sure it would help some people. Maybe I'll start a topic with pictures of my making it. Hopefully I'll be able to start it soon, since the weather is getting warmer it will be easier to make.

Its not official, but we are considering getting two parakeets! :) I'm so so so excited, lol! I'm going to stay on a while longer and than log off. I've got tons of parakeet research to do. Maybe I'll join a parakeet forum and ask a few questions there.

Its not official, but we are considering getting two parakeets! :) I'm so so so excited, lol! I'm going to stay on a while longer and than log off. I've got tons of parakeet research to do. Maybe I'll join a parakeet forum and ask a few questions there.

If I can be of any help let me know, I don't have parakeets currently but have in the past & have birds of my own. I'm only on two bird forums, one a small forum but full of info from knowledgeable bird people, the other is a forum for bird related purchases. Love parakeets! Let us know if you get them!

Oh, before you get them be sure to get some of their food with the name so you can buy it when it runs out. Also, ask feeding schedule with the foods they are eating. Just like bunnies you want to minimize changes to minimize their stress. Also, parakeets need to be on the same foods or at least the foods they are familiar with or they may not recognize it as food so will not eat it. Anyway let us know if you get them & if I can be of help let me know. I can tell you if their diet is good & how to monitor them should you get them.

Yes I thought he was pretty cute too. I hope you can get your mom interested in crocheting again. I think it would be a good relaxing thing for her to do. What kind of things does she like to crochet? I might be able to help find some patterns for you to give her, or for you to try yourself. I want to make a crochet group, and I tried to make it last night but apparently there is a problem with it, it only lets me write one letter for the description of the group, hopefully a moderator will fix it. I asked a question about it in the How to section and a moderator said that they tried to start a group and got the same problem. So hopefully someone will fix it.

My mom used to do crochet projects with the fine crochet thread, mostly she made doilies & other things like that. She made a beautiful crochet bedspread with the fine crochet thread. Now she is having trouble with her eyes so it is hard for her to do the fine work. I keep trying to get her to try a small project with the thicker yarn but she doesn't think she can. Not really sure what I can find that she might be willing to try.

If I can be of any help let me know, I don't have parakeets currently but have in the past & have birds of my own. I'm only on two bird forums, one a small forum but full of info from knowledgeable bird people, the other is a forum for bird related purchases. Love parakeets! Let us know if you get them!

Oh, before you get them be sure to get some of their food with the name so you can buy it when it runs out. Also, ask feeding schedule with the foods they are eating. Just like bunnies you want to minimize changes to minimize their stress. Also, parakeets need to be on the same foods or at least the foods they are familiar with or they may not recognize it as food so will not eat it. Anyway let us know if you get them & if I can be of help let me know. I can tell you if their diet is good & how to monitor them should you get them.

Definitely! I'm sure you'll be helpful, what I want to know now is what size cage will I need for two parakeets?

I really hope we get them, my mom said she had them as a kid and she said they were really great pets. I know drafts are bad for them, and we have already come up with a place that does not have drafts. Thanks for giving me the food advice, there is a pet store about an hour and a half away from us and they sell lots of budgies. We would probably get them from there, and I'll definitely ask what the birds are currently eating. And if I need to switch the diet for any reason, I'll do it slowly just like you do if you switch a rabbits diet. Somewhere we have a book on budgies I'll look for it soon And I'll definitely be doing TONS of research, it would be stupid to just buy one right now without even doing research.

Anyway my main question right now is what size cage will I need to keep 2 parakeets? Any help would be appreciated.

My mom used to do crochet projects with the fine crochet thread, mostly she made doilies & other things like that. She made a beautiful crochet bedspread with the fine crochet thread. Now she is having trouble with her eyes so it is hard for her to do the fine work. I keep trying to get her to try a small project with the thicker yarn but she doesn't think she can. Not really sure what I can find that she might be willing to try.

Yes, I have seen some thread crochet its really neat. But you can make things just as pretty out of yarn. Here is a nice pattern: http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/colorful-crochet-doilies Maybe you can ask her to just try and crochet this one project.

First, if they aren't a pair already I would suggest each having a cage of their own. You will want to be sure to get 2 of the same sex unless you are prepared for babies. I'm going from memory here but my parakeet's cage was 18 by 12 rectangular cage, I think that is the minimum size for a cage for a parakeet. Never buy the cute round cages. If you are planning on putting them in one cage I would make sure neither have been in it before or you will have territorial issues like with bunnies. Oh, the cage bars are the most important, they should not be bigger the 5/8 inches, for parakeets I like half inch bar spacing myself. For 2 parakeets in the same cage they need plenty of room because just like humans & buns they don't always like who we think they should. In a cage they have no escape if one doesn't like the other or becomes a bully or is a male & wants to mate. 2 parakeets I would definitely get a 24 inch by 24 inch minimum cage, 36 by 24 would be better. This is similar to what I had for my single parakeet: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+10346+5062+25751&pcatid=25751

Cages are the biggest cost & I do urge you to get a good quality cage. If you want help finding a good cage let me know & the price range & I will see what I can do. Also, the buying forum I'm on his discounts. I currently have bigger birds & have them all in King's cages. They are more expensive though but I can help you find some good quality cages & good prices if you can't find them locally.

Oh, I will also check later to see if anyone can recommend a parakeet forum for you. I don't know of any specifically for parakeets but will ask.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back