ARBA Convention 2007

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh! All of my rabbits that I want to bring to Convention are molting! They started last week and are really going in full swing now. I guess I will enter them and hope they are in good coat by October!

:pullhair:

Looks like I will be going. I've found some very affordable accomodations outside of the downtown area. Since I'm not showing I don't mind staying a bit farther away from the action.

It's getting so close! I will head out on October 11th- two friends and I are driving all the way to Michigan and back!

My fuzzies have mostly pushed through their molts. The coats aren't perfect yet, but a lot better than they looked two weeks ago. Uno, however, finally is molting out of his really gross coat. It's about time, but I think it's going to be too late. He's half way done, I am really pushing the supplements to try and get him through it in time, lol!! I think he is a really promising rabbit, but right now his coat is so rough and a bit stained.

Exciting news:I will most likely be bringing home a new fuzzy lop buck. There are a few I've been looking at and really like!!

:pullhair: SO MUCH TO DO!!!!! I leave this Friday. Can't wait. We should all try to set up a time to meet. I am willing to give those that are going my Cell # so we can all get together.

Sharon

Has anyone heard about the thing where like...all rabbits being shown this year have to have a veterinary health inspection certificate? But the rabbits that are just there don't need one? How pointless is that? And my friend and I just found out like a week ago and we're trying to set up a vet appointment and everything is all stupidtarded.

I called Banfield since they have Wellness hours where they don't charge you for a vet visit if you go on a certain day and just need like vaccinations or microchipping and stuff like that done. So I called and asked if they would do an exam on 6 rabbits and how much it would cost. The vet said they would do it.

My friend called the same vet the same day and they said they didn't do exams during wellness hours.

So I called my other rabbit vet and asked her how much it would cost to have 6 rabbits come in for that and she said it would be cheaper depending on where I live for them to come out to my house and do it. That makes no fricking sense. My vet is like 40 minutes away. And it would cost less for them to come to me? She said it would be $40 for the first rabbit and $15 for each additional rabbit. But if they came out to my house its only $98. Makes no flippin' sense.

So they also said to my friend who also called and told her that it would be cheaper because they just charge by the mile if we knew someone who lived nearby they could come there and we'd save money. My uncle said its ok, and he lives two miles from the vet. So I haveto drive all the way out to my uncle's place with 6 fricking rabbits because it's cheaper than traveling an extra two miles tot ake them to the vet.

Can anyone explain this to me?

I think she meant for the in office charge:

$40 x 1

$15 x 5 which is $75 so totaling $115.

for in home all of them would be $98.

Well, the decision to get or to not get health certificates is up to the individual breeder. Here's the breakdown:

1. Health Certificates are required on ALL animals entering Michigan state line- but there are NO agricultural checkpoints.

2. Health Certificates are required by state law for any 'livestock' show, but it is up to the Superintendent of the show to provide personnel to check for certificates. ARBA has said they will not be providing personnel.

3. ARBA stated the only time that health certificates would be checked is if there is a serious disease outbreak at the show (i.e.- VHD).

4. All animals flying in or out require health certificates.

The convention has been held in Michigan before, and the same laws were in place. There was no problem at that time for those without health certificates.

All I can say is- the LAW requires thecertificates, but no one will be enforcing that law. It may be better to be covered though.... just in case.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I think she meant for the in office charge:

$40 x 1

$15 x 5 which is $75 so totaling $115.

for in home all of them would be $98.

YEah I understand what all the charges would be but I don't understand why it costs less for her to leave the clinic to come ot my house and do the same exact thing.

After ARBA convention i'd really like to interview someone who went so i can put it in an article for the October/November issue of The Bunnicle. Id like to know who was like best in the entire show and all that.

Emily

I just got back. A white mini satin won best in show in open. I think an English Angora won best in show youth. Don't quote me on that youth result though. Later tonight I will review my video tape and will know for sure. I just got done driving 8 hours so I'm going to take a nap.

Regarding new varieties and breeds being presented at the 2007 Convention, this is what I've heard so far:

Broken Havanas: PASSED their third presentation

Velveteen Lops: PASSED their first presentation

Broken Satin Angora - PASSED their first presentation

Blue Tort Netherland Dwarf - PASSED their first presentation

Sable Mini Rex - PASSED their first presentation

Himilayan Mini Satin - PASSED their first presentation

Copper Mini Satin - PASSED their second presentation

Red Mini Satin - PASSED their first presentation

Chinchilla Mini Satin - PASSED their first presentation

Opal Mini Satin - PASSED their first presentation

Black Mini Satin - Not Presented

Chocolate Mini Satin - Not Presented

Otter Mini Satin - FAILED their second presentation

Blue Silver Fox -PASSED their first presentation

Lionheads- FAILED their second presentation. COD nowpasses to Gail.

Just a "wee-bit" concerned about friends driving home from Convention today. Weather is very bad in that part of the country... tornado warnings, heavy rains, thunder and lightening... not the best travel conditions. Hope everyone is safe and careful. :pray:

Uh oh, lionheads failed? Will Gail be using different standards for the COD?

How many presentations need to be passed? Is broken now an official allowable Havana color?

And woo hoo for the mini satins! *WANT*

A breed must pass three presentations before it is considered an official breed. The COD holder gets two chances at passing each individual presentation. This year was actually the second chance of the second presentation of the tort lionheads. So now the torts go to Gail who is the back up COD holder of the torts. She also has COD's on afew other varieties too, so theoretically, she could decide to present one of those instead. If you have your ARBA guidebook the whole presentation deal is spelled out in there.

Latest posts

Back