Any dog breed you wouldnt own, and which breed would you love to have

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
undergunfire wrote:
Prisca....I have a "small dog" who is about 13lbs (Doxie/Min Pin mix) and he doesn't have a yappy bark...he has a deep big dog bark! It is hilarious. When we adopted him and a few days later heard his bark the whole time we were cracking up...and relieved that he didn't have a little yap bark. He also "grumbles" as he trots around growling, hahahaha.

:p
hahaha that's very cute!

I have a lab that I absolutely love, she might be a little stupid but she has a HUGE heart. My family had an akita chow mix. She was a big furball and kinda grumpy because she was getting old. She didn't like my lab when we first got her but she warmed up to her after our neighbor's dog broke into our backyard and tried to attack Sasha (the lab). Molly (the akita/chow) jumped in front of her. The dog grabbed her throat and tried to strangle her. Molly's fur saved her life and Sasha's. I would probably never get a poodle or most little dogs. I'll probably definitely get another lab and maybe an akita.

My gram had Chihuahua's--they were like rat's on crack. We prefer big dogs, anyway. My first canine when I moved out on my own was a Doberman--lived in a "not so good part of town" and got broken into--it was some kid's so nothing good was taken, but the next day I got a dog and haven't looked back and never have had a problem with anyone coming in uninvited. 14 years ago we got a Dane and six after that got a Bull Mastiff--great dog and very protective. Right now we have 3 Great Danes--2 from the same parents just a year apart. Fry is 208 pounds and Bender weighed 2 pounds more at the same age as a puppy so he will be huge too. Lots of shoveling in the backyard is the only drawback. We have a six foot block wall all the way around and Fry puts his paws up and looks over all the time, so everyone knows we have our own version of "Jurassic Park".

I have 3 Chihuahua's, 1 Purebred Mutt, and 1 Pit Bull. I would just die to have a German Shepherd and an American White Shepherd.

Not that I don't want to own one (you see, I can't due to the Texas heat; it would be cruelty!), but an Alaskan Husky/Malamute would be on the 'No' list. :) (Actually, I do want one of those pips for when I go up and visit my cousin in Alaska!)

Would never own a Pug. They're cute, I suppose, but the wrinkles (and the snoring) are just too much.

Would love to have a samoyed....so fluffy! (probably why I'm also in love with rabbits...it's the fluff I tell you!)

I have a pomerian...
Good points
-friendly
-small
-cuddly
-thinks he is all tough and it is cute!
-easy to train
Bad points
- yappy
-small ( need to baby proof)

I have a husky cross Rottweiler....
Good points
-protective
-guard dog
-large
-funny
-loving
-loyal
Bad points
-large
-over protective (will bite a stranger if no one he knows is with him)

I have a Jack Russell
Good points
-sporty
-loyal
-loving
-very very caring (when I was being bitten by ants on the way home from a walk he licked the ants off and won't leave my side- usually he likes to walk in front
-he is my agility doggie- we enter shows and he does very well
Bad points
-a little too sporty
-can get jealous easily

I have a Maltese cross ****zu cross Jack Russell
Good points
-very loving
-cuddly
-caring
-lazy
-the cutest little face
Bad points
-jealously can get the better of them
-they get very protective of you

I have a cattle dog
Good points
-friendly
-loving
-active
-she is my agility doggie aswell
-loves walks
-Easy to train
Bad points
-escape artists😭😭 (she escapes ALOT but always comes back)

I have a staffy
Good points
-friendly
-active
-playful
-always happy
Bad points
-hard to train because of there playfulness

I know I have a lot of dogs hehehe, 2 of them live at a farm that I walk to everyday to visit I let them keep them because it helps them with there stock so they borrow them

dogs i would hate to have:
chi
poodle/toy poodle

dogs i like:
shibu inu
bull dog
saint benard

dogs i want/need:
boxer
german shepherd
Australian shepherd

Last edited:
I would never own a dog breed prone to health issues like Cavalier King Charles or Bernese Mountain Dogs (even though I LOVE those) because really rabbits are hard enough - I really don't want another animal that I'm worried sick about everytime they sneeze.
I took my first dog in 1 year and a half ago after careful consideration. I really wanted an Australian sheepdog or a long haired German Shepherd, but I thought they were 'risky' for a first-time owner. So, I chose an Eurasier. The breed was perfect on paper, just hard to find because very rare in France. But I don't regret making 600 km to get mine. Jeeves is exactly what I was looking for (calm, silent, friendly, clean, independant when he needs to be, able to walk 6 or 7 km but content to just stay on the couch, not needing a job but able to learn some tricks, an effective watchdog). He is a perfect first dog as he is really easy to manage - he was potty trained after the first time I told him not to do his business inside and loved everyone (especially children - he loooooves toddlers) from day 1. His only flaw is that he runs after cats when he sees one.
He is also a beautiful dog, which certainly doesn't hurt XD. Eurasiers are supposedly very sturdy dogs with a good life expectancy for their size, only time will tell if that's true too...

We had an Aussie, and yes they're nice dogs...but they need room to run and they need a job to do. Ours had a strong herding instinct and herding the kids in the backyard wasn't the best job for her.

Yes, that's exactly why I gave up on the breed. They are really beautiful and smart (in France, they were pretty rare until about 5 years ago and the first time I saw one in a photo I was like "I want one of those" XD), but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up with their high level of energy and would end up with an unbalanced dog.
I walk Jeeves for 5 to 6 km each day. He does some basic obedience for a few minutes everyday, play fetch for a bit (he gets tired of it real quick) and that's it, he's nice and calm for the rest of the day. I'm afraid I wouldn't get off that easily with an Aussie ^^.

I will always own a pit bull, hands down, no questions asked. I absolutely love the breed. I'm hesitant about owning anything small though.

I love large breeds. We've had Newfoundlands and Great Pyrenees. Cons are all the brushing, but they are so lovable and gentle. (But they make a very intimidating, deep bark to ward off any potential intruders!)

Their gentle nature also makes them great with rabbits -- the Newfoundland anyway. Never had the Pyrenees with rabbits so can't speak on that.

I love large breeds. We've had Newfoundlands and Great Pyrenees. Cons are all the brushing, but they are so lovable and gentle. (But they make a very intimidating, deep bark to ward off any potential intruders!)

Their gentle nature also makes them great with rabbits -- the Newfoundland anyway. Never had the Pyrenees with rabbits so can't speak on that.

Newfies and Pyrenees are like miniature bears! I love them so much

I would not own most of the guard dog breeds that account for a disproportionately high amount of all dog attacks and fatal dog attacks. This is an area that sharply divides people because, just like topics such as firearms, capital punishment, or abortion, both sides present credible arguments. Pit bull advocacy organizations are quick to point out that violent dogs are largely a reflection upon owners, and pit bulls can be very loving dogs. That is certainly true. Anti-pit bull advocacy organizations are quick to point out that the statistics show that pit bulls account for the large majority of dog attacks and fatal dog attacks, and that this data suggests the same even when factoring in factors such as neglect. That is also true. The general negative perception of these dogs, and the legislation that regulates where you can have them, are also reasons I would prefer not to own one. The reason I went in the direction of rabbits is because you can take them just about anywhere, even where animals are technically not permitted, and no one really cares.

I would not own any of the herding dogs now as I do not have enough area or enough time to give them the constant physical and mental engagement needed to prevent them from becoming destructive and depressed.

I also would not intentionally purchase a purebred and especially not the intentionally miniaturized purebreds. I would adopt one, but I've noticed a tendency for many purebreds to have complicated health issues, where as all of our lovable mutts over the years have been extremely healthy. Last I read, most research found that purebreds were more susceptible to certain genetic disorders. To a certain extent, I am seeing some similarities with rabbits.

My first forever dog was a miniature American Eskimo, who I had for 12 years and lost her after a quick but fatal illness. Although she could be a high energy dog, she was a gentle girl who loved life. I also had a smallish pound mutt, believed to be a corgi mix, who passed away in February after having her for 13 years (and adopting her at at least a year old). I currently have a senior smallish pound mutt (again, adopted at at least a year old), who I have had for 13 years and she seems to be doing pretty well. Plus a 7+ year old smallish pound mutt I will have had for 7 years in July and will be 8 years old in September.

Personality and size wise, Cavaliers are my #1 choice, but potential health issues pretty much rule them out. For my next dog, I think I really want a Shih Tzu, or Shih Tzu mix. On the other hand, a furry (longer haired) mixed breed may catch my eye. I may not be able to resist an Eskie if one were available. But my next dog (if any) may be several years from now, and most likely, will be an adult dog from a shelter or from someone rehoming their dog.

I also would not intentionally purchase a purebred and especially not the intentionally miniaturized purebreds. I would adopt one, but I've noticed a tendency for many purebreds to have complicated health issues, where as all of our lovable mutts over the years have been extremely healthy. Last I read, most research found that purebreds were more susceptible to certain genetic disorders. To a certain extent, I am seeing some similarities with rabbits.

Yup! I chuckle at the term "purebred" because they are basically made by losing genetic information. They "breed out" certain characteristics. The mutts that have a healthy mix of genetic info are less prone to the breed-specific health issues associated with purebreds. (Perhaps the term 'bred-out' would be more fitting than 'purebred.') :)

We had an Aussie, and yes they're nice dogs...but they need room to run and they need a job to do. Ours had a strong herding instinct and herding the kids in the backyard wasn't the best job for her.
Daisy (our dog, Aussie) loves to herd our chickens when they were free ranged, she would herd them into the coop at night, (now the chickens live in a pen)
But they can be gentle, one timetime, daisy brought us a chicken egg in her mouth, the shell didn't have the slightest crack at all! When we get and let them forage around outside she would be like the big mama, and give them little nose bonks bonks to keep them together. Yes they will herd kids! I have to agree from experience lol
They are great dogs that love going for hikes and jogging around the neighborhood with you :)

Latest posts

Back