Any dog breed you wouldnt own, and which breed would you love to have

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course there are many people who just don't know how to bring out the best qualities in each individual dog or breed....
And many do not do their research and get their dogs from reputable breeders who breed for temperment and intelligence. Just as with any other animal there are many breeders who care for nothing but the money they make from their dogs (hence the term BYB).
Being very popular breeds leads to less than desirable animals being bred and thus the misconceptions are born surrounding these dog breeds.

Quik mention of dogs we have owned. By we I mean my mom, my grandmom and me.

4 Pomeranians

3 Poodles

4 Chihuahuas

1 Pekingese

1 mutt and when people say don't call her that I reply Sh*tC*ckPoo sh*t-zu, cocker spaniel, and poodle.

1 a terrier (Same color as Eddie from frasier but she was long haired. Anyone?)(My heart dog.)

All have been pure awesomeness!

JadeIcing wrote:
1 a terrier (Same color as Eddie from frasier but she was long haired. Anyone?)(My heart dog.)
Jack Russel Terriers come in different hair coats. There is Smooth, broken and rough. You can do some research on them to see if yours was one of them. She could have been a different terrier breed or a mix.

JadeIcing wrote:

4 Pomeranians

3 Poodles

4 Chihuahuas

1 Pekingese

1 mutt and when people say don't call her that I reply Sh*tC*ckPoo sh*t-zu, cocker spaniel, and poodle.

So just saying since you own all these small breed dogs, please agree with me that NOT ALL SMALL BREEDS "YAP" :p

I'veonly owned a JRT but I can't stand it when people say small dogs yap, becaus ethey don't their bark are jst higher because they are smaller and they don't yap lol, my mother is what "yaps" lol

Prisca....I have a "small dog" who is about 13lbs (Doxie/Min Pin mix) and he doesn't have a yappy bark...he has a deep big dog bark! It is hilarious. When we adopted him and a few days later heard his bark the whole time we were cracking up...and relieved that he didn't have a little yap bark. He also "grumbles" as he trots around growling, hahahaha.

:p

My terrier doesn't yap lol, she has a deeper bark then other small breeds. Now what's really annoying is 20+ poms running after you barking and biting your ankles, a poms bark damages my eardrums lol.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
whaleyk98 wrote:
This is my kind of thread! Hmmmmm...well, I have an Am staff, and a St Bernard right now.

I must see a picture of your St. Bernard, Kate!! :)

Emily

Here you go Em:

This is Joker...hes my Am Staff

100_1861.jpg

And this is Andre the Giant,lol:

100_1870.jpg

100_2638.jpg

Thanks! You cant see it in the pick but Joker has one blue eye and one brown. I think hes a doll....not to mention we have a bond =)

Joker looks so much like an American Bulldog! I love those dogs also, kinda forgot about them when I made my list. What a pretty baby and I'm sure very stunning with those eyes.

Dogs I would NOT own:
Poodles-not for me, just too hyper and foolish-acting
Great Danes-I absolutely love these dogs, but I couldnt deal with their massive amount of energy and the massive amount of slobber, ew
St. Bernards-see above, again, love them, but too much dog for me
Smushed-face dogs-I know that not all of them will snore, but I cant stand snoring, so I will not purposefully look for a dog that might snore
Jack Russels-too much energy for me

Dogs I would LOVE to have:
Akita-my mum has one, and he is the best dog ever! So laid back, just happy to be around his family. He is a bit older, so that might be why he's so laid back. He is the reason I love Akitas :)
German Shepherd-love these dogs, so loyal and playful. Again, my mum has one and she is amazing.
Bernese Mountain Dogs-so beautiful, and havent met one that hasnt been amazing
Staffordshire Terriers-awesome dogs, so playful and loyal
Blue Heelers-such funny dogs, my friend has one who she carries around like a baby, its so cute!

Wow... Great Danes aren't really that active. German Shepherds, on the other hand, are high energy, high drive dogs. My friends aunt used to breed Great Danes and lives in a 2 bedroom apt with 6 danes. I could never have done this with my GSD.

MyLOVEABLES!! wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

4 Pomeranians

3 Poodles

4 Chihuahuas

1 Pekingese

So just saying since you own all these small breed dogs, please agree with me that NOT ALL SMALL BREEDS "YAP" :p

I'veonly owned a JRT but I can't stand it when people say small dogs yap, becaus ethey don't their bark are jst higher because they are smaller and they don't yap lol, my mother is what "yaps" lol

Not yappy at ALL!

Brit - 17 years old (My dog/Family dog) She has never been a yapper we have had her since she was 2. :nerves1She is slowing down.

5212_149009366616_764921616_3248570_2472924_n.jpg

My dog! Kashi just turned 4yrs old on the 1st.

100_7099.jpg

100_7100.jpg

100_7115.jpg

100_7123.jpg

100_7094.jpg

Haha...I have only heard Kashi bark once while we have been on the phone (and thats a million times), and I think that was because she was hungry!

I have two chihuahua's and a rotty (family dog). The two Chihuahua's are my personal dogs. They are FAR from yappy. I had never heard Whisky bark until he was almost 2. Definitely not a yap though. It is a higher pitch than my rotty of course but it is still gravely and bark like. Bailey started barking around 1 year of age (so a couple of months ago). She is hilarious because she's this tiny little four pound Chi and has this SUPER deep little bark. She only barks when she feels danger. A couple of days ago she sensed something outside my bedroom window and started barking and growling at it. I asked my dad to go check what it was because it scared me. Bailey doesn't freak just because. He went and checked and there was a man in my neighbors yard. :ph34r2 We're separated from him by hurricane fence so she could see into his yard. He took running and my dad called the cops but they didn't find anything. My rotty had been on the other side of the house and had no idea what was happening (he's old and can't hear well anymore). My brave little girl (only has three legs) was trying to protect me. :duel

t.

I had a series of very negative experiences with one particular Dalmation that I used to walk daily for someone.

It would take quite a lot for me to want a Dalmation ...however,I really really reallylove dogs and I am partial to mutts because of their ownindividual differences and because they often end up in shelters andmany times do not inherit the physical problems of a pure breedsyet are wonderful pets ..

yes I really love all dogs and if there was only one breed of dog and it was DalmationI would end up with a Dalmation rather than to be dog less
:)

Forgot to add what dogs I would or wouldn't have:

Wouldn't:

terriers-too high energy
shepherds-same reason
bulldogs-upkeep
border collie-too high energy
husky- not much in the brain department
dalmatian- same reason

Would love:

basset hound: smart and oh so soulful
great dane: love all the ones I have met
grey hounds: wonderful laid back dogs
goldens: have always wanted one
standard poodle: smart smart smart
chihuahua: mine have stolen my heart
english springer spaniel: this one is based solely on looks

All I can think of so far. Will add more later.

t.

I forgot to add Greyhounds to my list (I think?). I LOVE them and always oooh and ahhh over them when they are at adoption events. It would take a special Grey, though, as we have bunnies, cats, AND a small dog!

I once got yelled at by a guy from a Greyhound rescue because I had Sammy (in my arms!) near the Greyhounds that they had out on leashes around their booth...in the middle of a darn adoption event. He freaked on me because a few Grey's that they had for adoption there didn't like small dogs. I was so peeved...it is like...there are a million small dogs here and you bring a dog who hates certain dogs to an adoption event? I knew a lot of Grey's didn't like small dogs...but I figured that if they had them out in the open on leashes...then it was fair game to go up to them and pet them. Any person could have (and tons probably did) make this mistake!

White German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Dalmatians (or anything mixed with a Dalmatian) are my favorites right now, if you're looking for specific breed.

I feel kind of bad having breed preferences. Makes me feel like a dog racist. :shock:

Latest posts

Back