Any dog breed you wouldnt own, and which breed would you love to have

Discussion in 'Let Your Hare Down' started by Luvmyzoocrew, Aug 23, 2009.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. May 30, 2016 #81

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

One note I forgot--all of our dogs have been working breeds, so they seem to be smarter and a lot easier to train. I used to love telling people that our Great Dane was our small dog--she was taller than our Bull Mastiff, but the Bull weighed 60 pounds more. The smartest ones we had by far were the Dobermans. Taught one to dive in the pool after rings (rubber) and they would not go out of the garage even when the front doors were open. The funniest is our two boy Danes--they stand with their paws on top of the block wall and look around for anything and everything and our neighbors think they are funny and have threatened to keep them. Not worried about that as one day of shoveling would get them right back home.

2. Jun 1, 2016 #82

aabernathy319

aabernathy319

aabernathy319

I love most dog breeds but I don't like a few for numerous reasons....so anyways I wouldn't want a Chihuahua, American Bully, English Bulldog, Schnauzer, Boxer, Pugs, Dachshund, any little hairy dog, or Shar pei. My favorites are Pitbulls, German Shepherds, Labs, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Border Collies, Argentine Mastiffs, and large breed mutts. My favorite overall is Pitbulls ♥♥♥♥♥

20160521_163753.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    JimJam likes this.
  3. Aug 17, 2016 #83

mnyablonski2796

mnyablonski2796

mnyablonski2796

I wouldnt want most yippy dogs I do like a few and wouldnt mind some but they wouldn't be my first choice. My favorites that I would love to have are Dobermans, Great Danes, Pit Bulls, Australian Shepherds, and larger breed mutts are all things I would love to have/ have again.

BlackMiniRex likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2017 #84

Yunaluna

Yunaluna

Yunaluna

Heres my list!

Would want to have:
    Pomenarians
    Long Haired Chihuahuas
    Toy Poodles
    French Bulldog
    Papillon
    King Charles Cavalier
    Husky
    Yorkshire Terrier

Wouldnt want to have:
    Jack Russell
    Chow Chow
    Dobermans

5. Jan 9, 2017 #85

RavenousDragon

RavenousDragon

RavenousDragon

Here's my list~

I would love to have:
    Any mutt on a kill list :)
    Border collie
    Standard collie
    Newfoundland
    Doberman pincer
    Golden retriever
    German Shepherd
    Putbull
    Staffordshire terrier
    Greyhound

I would probably not own:
    Huskey
    Dalmation
    Labrador Retriever
    Cocker spaniel
    Any dog <10 lbs (<5 kgs)
    Cane corso

6. Jan 9, 2017 #86

katiecrna

katiecrna

katiecrna

Would want to have:
    Standard poodle
    Bedlington terrier
    Welsh terrier
    Kerry blue terrier
    Old English sheepdog

7. Apr 30, 2017 #87

Alek

Alek

Alek

I don't like terriers, in fact, I call them terrorists, because all they do is terrorize their owners (plus they hate our freedom).
    I have never met a bichon frise that was worth anything. They are basically the selfish *******s of the dog world. Miniature schnauzers are also dogs that leave a lot to be desired. They bark way to much, and are usually dog aggressive or snippy.
    I don't usually like small dogs and don't really consider them 'real' dogs, I live by the rule that if the dog can't protect me and my home, or can't hunt for food, then it's useless to me. Sometimes a small dog can move up into the realm of 'real' dog if they prove themselves. For instance, I had a dutch rabbit female viciously attack my friends boyfriend that came to the house to yell at her, but my bunny went after him and attacked his legs and feet- now that's a real dog. LOL

I have a redbone coonhound, he's my medical alert dog. Hounds are awesome dogs!

8. Apr 30, 2017 #88

Happi Bun

Happi Bun

Happi Bun

I'm the total opposite. The more "useless" the animal, the more I seem to adore them :p Which is why I want a Pug very badly.

I will have one someday! How can you not love this beautiful creature?

[​IMG]

I also really love Corgis, but from what I see they have a high prey drive and are very active. I live in a condo with a lot of small animals so I prefer dogs that are more lazy without a high prey drive.

9. Apr 30, 2017 #89

Aki

Aki

Aki

Then again, if you think only dogs who hunt are dogs, then only some hunting breeds count... a lot of big dogs don't hunt and are not protection dogs (I'd say very few dogs are actually effective in protection even if most of them are dissuasive).

HappiBun : I researched corgis quite a lot as I'm considering getting one as a second dog. They are more active than lap dogs (you can't do less active than a pug... ^^) but they are manageable. Pembrokes seem to be mellower than Cardigans, from what I've seen and read (I'm personally more interested in Cardigans, but I'm looking for a big dog in a small dog body - Shelties are also on my list :)). Also, they don't have a high prey drive, it's a shepherd breed. Normally, they will herd, but not kill and they get along well with other animals (supervized, of course... I wouldn't leave any kind of dog alone with a rabbit).
    What makes me hesitate is that they can have back problems, related to their weird body shape. But then again, pugs do have health issues too.

Happi Bun likes this.
  10. Apr 30, 2017 #90

Alek

Alek

Alek

I've always usually had a large dog, and a small dog that was my moms. Her dogs were always 'real' dogs because they could hunt food if they had wanted too, and were very driven. My mom had a shih tzu, and I gave him a pass because he'd gone through some serious **** in his past life. I think if a small dog can do something awesome, then it can earn it's position as a 'real' dog. I love corgis, they are awesome.
    As for pugs (also other flat nosed breeds) I never buy an animal that snores louder than I do.

11. Apr 30, 2017 #91

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

I like our dogs big and prefer big bunnies too. :)

shiloh and gandalf (800x601).jpg

12. Apr 30, 2017 #92

Happi Bun

Happi Bun

Happi Bun

^Those pics are so cute! :hearts

Bigs dogs are awesome, small dogs too. I pretty much like all breeds, some more than others of course. I love Huskies, Greyhounds, Golden Retrievers and the list goes on. Mutts are wonderful as well. Oh, I forgot French Bulldogs! They're another breed that always interested me. People say they can be very stubborn though.

I wouldn't buy a pug either, since I always try to adopt/rescue first but also because I don't really approve how they have been selectively bred to have more health problems and super flat faces. Which is why when I get a pug I will be adopting/rescuing it. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Alek likes this.
  13. May 9, 2017 #93

katiecrna

katiecrna

katiecrna

I love dogs... but I like my life a certain way and I am a bit of a dog snob so there are very few I would own. I hate dog smelling houses, hair all over the place, dogs breeds that struggle to breath (like all the brachycephalic dogs).

Dogs I would consider owning:
    Standard poodle
    Miniature poodle
    Bedlington terrible
    Scottish terrier
    Welsh terrier

Popsicles likes this.
  14. May 10, 2018 #94

LionheadRabbitLover

LionheadRabbitLover

LionheadRabbitLover

Dogs I would never own:
    Yorkies, Poodles, Shitzus, Pekinese, Maltese, Cockapoos, chihuahuas, Rat terriers. Basically any type of small dog that’s too fragile and could have potential to be a brat for no cause.

Dogs I would own:
    Huskies, Rottskies (I have one), Rottweilers, Malamutes, Samoyeds, German Shepherds, Dobermans, greyhounds, salukis, coonhounds, mastiffs, Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, American Bully, American pitbull Terriers, Golden Retrievers, Collies, Border Collies, Irish Wolfhound, Norwegian Elkhound, Karelian Beardogs, Akitas, Laikas, coydogs, and wolfdogs. Any type of large, intelligent dog.

15. May 11, 2018 #95

Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

i definitely want a great Dane or a brindle pit bull.. i know the things that people say about pitbulls but i dont care i believe that they are just as lovable as any dog!!!

LionheadRabbitLover likes this.
  16. May 11, 2018 #96

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Of all the dogs we've had over 6 decades, I like my Danes the best-they are very loving, smart, and they don't have to be aggressive to be protective as most people avoid them because they are bigger than most people. Mine will put their paws on top of our 6 foot wall and look over. The only problem we have is they think they are lap dogs and they do go thru a lot of food.

Popsicles likes this.
  17. May 12, 2018 #97

crabapple

crabapple

crabapple

Most are over breed for looks & are not worth of buying.

18. May 12, 2018 #98

LionheadRabbitLover

LionheadRabbitLover

LionheadRabbitLover

Not necessarily. I know tons of great looking dogs with good health.

19. May 12, 2018 #99

Popsicles

Popsicles

Popsicles

I would never get a brachycephalic breed! Especially the current pug and French bulldog phase.. Poor things can’t breathe or exercise, or even give birth naturally.

20. May 12, 2018 #100

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Loony bunny guy Supporting Member

Yeah, that, and no dachshound, spitz, german shepherds (didn't meet many that didn't have a mental problem, sure depends on breeding lines). And none that are too focused on their human, I'm not really an Alpha for dogs.

The dog I like most is my ex-neighbours poodle-terrier mix, not an easy character (took my half a year to get her around), also was smitten with another neighbours rottweiler (more than half my weight, still thinking she's a lapdog). I prefer dogs that take some work to earn their trust, it's imho more rewarding, well, same is true for my rabbits, it's so satisfying that after 4 years one of my does started to demand pets at last.