Amoxicillin trihydrate clavulanate potassium (Clavamox)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[align=center]Update[/align]
[align=left]This afternoon I called all the pet andfeed stores in my area to find a probiotic without much luck until Igot down to the next to last listing. A feed store half anhour from my home and they had something better, it's called RabbitNutri-drench, the poweraid for bunnies. The owner (who isalso a mini rex breeder)assured me that Nutri-drench combinedwith blackberry leaves will have Talia up and hopping again.Since you don't hear about rabbits that havesurvivedEnterotoxemia very often, thelady didn'tknow how long it would take for Talia to get completely back tonormal. [/align]
[align=left]As far as I can tell, my girl is wellon her way to recovery. She still has diarrhea right now andgrinds her teeth - but not nearly as much. She'sstarting to preen herselfand can get comfortable on my lapagain. I'm going to keep her on the Simethicone for nowuntill her pellets return to normal.[/align]
[align=left]Things are starting to look up! :cool:[/align]

I'm so happy she is doing better. I'mreally interested in "Rabbit Nutri-Drench", I always like to have stuff"just in case" rather then have to search at the last minute...kindasilly, but still, better safe then sorry, you know? Plus Ilike to know about all kinds of products so I can decide what to orderfor the store. Let me know how it works, please?

:D:D:D:D:D

Pam - I was wondering, do you know anything abouttetracycline use in rabbits? I always have some on hand...ittreats everyone (ferrets, dogs, cats....) but I'm not sure aboutrabbits. I used it at work for all those others with a vet'sok, but I've never needed it for a rabbit.

Tetracycline (Oxytetracycline)is abroad spectrum antibiotic often purchased OTC in powderformand is well tolerated by rabbits.It's use includestreatment of diarrhea, respiratoryinfections, urogenital tract infections, septicemia.

Concern has been raised that its over use may lead to resistantbacterias and"super infections",soalternate antibiotics aresometimes preferred andfound to be more effective.

Pam

Wow Cinnabun!!

I can't believe how strong Talia is. Bless her and your heart. She is set on staying with you a while longer, isn't she?

I'm overjoyed with the news, but will continue prayers that her recovery is quick and complete.

I think I'd apt for no vet rather than going back to the one that did this in the first place. :X

Kisses to Talia for us all.

:)

-Carolyn

Cinnibun wrote:
Had I looked at the label closer I would havefound "For use in dogs and cats", not bunnies.
I feel even worse after having read this online: "Antibiotics thatshould never be given to rabbits. Even one dose of the following can bedeadly: Amoxicillin, lincomycin, clindamycin."
I don't know what to do and I'm not going to take her back to thatvetbut he's the only local one that I know ofwhodeals with rabbits. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
how is your bun today? I hope she is doing ok.

It was a good thing you looked up about drugs unsafe forbuns. A vet who doesn't know what is a safe drug to use should not beseeing that particular type of animal.I hope you can follow through ongetting this vet pointed in the right direction and that he listens toyou and either does some reshearch or stops seeing animals he can nottreat properly.

most drugs that can be used in rabbits are still labled for "cat anddog use" because not many drugs have been "cleared" for use inrabbits. I am glad to hear she is feeling better and hopetoday brings even better news.

[align=center]Update[/align]

[align=left]I woke up this morning to the sound ofteeth grinding together in ten second intervals. Grab theNutri-drench! At least she likes the stuff andismore alert than yesterday. :) Instead of leavingher pellets everywhere, she is now going back to her regularcorner. The grinding has stopped but I can still feel everybone in her back and even her rib cage.Once she'sback on her normal food I hope she gets nice and plumpagain.[/align]

[align=left]I can't believe she's so determined tostick around! For a bunny teen that doesn't weigh four poundsanymore, she sure is stubborn. I realize this is going to bea rollercoaster experience not just one little crisis.Sometimes she seems better with lots of energy and sometimes she staresblankly into space. I will continue to keep posting, howeverlate it may be.[/align]

[align=left]Gabby: The label said for usein cats and dogs only. Both carivore species, whatgood can that be to a herbivore?[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]cirrustwi: The "RabbitNutri-drench is made by BovidRx Laboratories Inc.ScottsbluffNebraska 69361. It doesn't have a website, only a phonenumber; 1-800-658-4016 for "Information or nearest dealer".It claims that it is for breeding, weak or chilled newborns, appetiteloss, transport stress, enviroment strain, show rabbits, diarrhea andvaccinations. *Whew* Anything Imissed?[/align]

Do you mean the Nutri Cal? It'sactually mostly corn syrup -- but the glucose and omega 3 fatty acidsfrom the cod liver oil will really help give her system a needed boostright now. The product is very easily metabolized and Ibelieve the vitamin E is very therapeutic to the stressed GI tractright now.

The lack of condition isn't unusual -- she'll quickly gain her condition back.

It does concern me that she's still grinding her teeth though, but shedoes seem to be quick determined not to let this get her down!!!

Pam

Cinnibun- Medications don't really have anythingto do with being for carnivores or herbivores, it more has to do withintestinal workings and chemical make-ups and stuff likethat. Most "animal safe" meds have only been tested on catsand dogs because they are the most common pets out there. Forexample, I get my ferrets' shots directly from my vet but I give them(he gives the rabies) and they all say for dogs only and I've never hada problem and my vet is really good and I've researched it all and itis ok. (Ok, silly side note, but I feel the need to clear itup...cat are obligate carnivores, they can't digest veggies and carbs,but dogs are omnivores, they eat meats and veggies and carbs)

Just another quck exampleof why medsaren't based on feeding habits...I was saying that my ferrets get dogvaccines and ferrets are obligate carnivores like cats :)

pamnock wrote:
Doyou mean the Nutri Cal? It's actually mostly corn syrup --but the glucose and omega 3 fatty acids from the cod liver oil willreally help give her system a needed boost right now. Theproduct is very easily metabolized and I believe the vitamin E is verytherapeutic to the stressed GI tract right now.
Nope, it's Nutri-drench. I'm staring at the bottle right nowand Nutri Cal is nowhere on the label. The drench has no codliver oil in it. It does however have Vitamin A, D andE. Drench also claims to have glucose, high vitamins, traceMinerals and amino acids. I could type all of theingredientsbut not unless you are interested.

The Nutri Drench is an excellent high energy source that is helpful for does having trouble kindling or suffering from ketosis.

It's different from the Nutri Cal which is much higher in calories.

Pam

Cinnibun wrote:
[align=left]Gabby: The label said for usein cats and dogs only. Both carivore species, whatgood can that be to a herbivore?[/align]
[align=left][/align]
drugs are not based on what an animal eats, amoxi is bad forrabbits however,,... baytril which is widely used on rabbitsis also great for cats and dogs.. all i was saying iseven goodmedicines are generally labled for cat/dog because thats generally whatthey are tested on. Mainly the reason they lable them foranimal use or cat/dog use is they do not want people using them onthemselves.

Oh no.... :(

I'm so sorry :( :(

You did everything you could, you were more than any bunny could ask for.

Back