Amoxicillin trihydrate clavulanate potassium (Clavamox)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, do not understand prescribing an antibiotic for a "muscle injury"!

Thru the years, I have used injectable penicillin, with very good luck,with the rabbits. But not for a muscle problems!

- Dolores

Talia is still with me as of thismorning! :D The vet appointment she hadat9:30amwas cancelled, for good. I'm gladTalia did not like the taste of the medication and stopped drinking atthree days along, she'd be worse off yet.

The diarrhea has slowed, I hope Simethicone was the right thing to giveher. She is still drinking and drinkingalot. I didn't know she could guzzle so much, she'sonly four pounds. I know this is going to make you guys boilbut, the vet also prescribed way too much medication. Hetreated her as a ten pound dog or cat.

Pam: Thank you for your imput and interest in the subject, I amgreatful. The Amoxicillin was supposed to stop any infection,not reduce swelling or anything useful.

I don't know if this crisis is over but her mood has improved and sheeven came out of her cage for a minute. I will inform you ofany improvements but she seems to be holding her own for the time being.

Oh, I'm so happy!!! :D:D:DThis justmade my morning! Please keep us updated on her condition, I'm keepingmy fingers crossed for her.

This vet should not be let off the hook for onesecond :XWhat he did was incredibly irresponsible!

Yes, the vet will definitely be informed of thismistake. I would hate to see this particular one madeagain. With any luck, he will listen.

I am wondering, would it be ok to give my girl her papaya pill? Or prehaps this is not what her tummy needs right now?

I was so afraid to read your post -- and now so elated to hear how well she's doing!!!!!!!

Simethicone is fine -- how do her droppings look this morning?

Pam

Partially formed, still very soft. Noyellow mucus, she added that to her pellets last night. Nowit's gone. :) Do you think it's ok to give her thepapaya?

Probiotics...ok, like what? Could yousuggest a brandname or perhaps a household item that willwork? I know yogurt is not the way to go.

Oh, mercy ... I'm just now reading thisthread. :( Cinnibun, bless your and your poordarling bun's hearts. I'm so glad to read that she's stilldoing well today. Thank goodness that she has such awonderful bunny mommy who was alert and investigated a little todetermine the cause of her mood shift.

As MyBunnyBoys has stated, this is in no wise your fault.Your vet is a disgrace to his profession. This was a grosslynegligible error. I only wish that you could file amalpractice suit against him.

There's not a one of us here who wouldn't take our vet's word forprescribed treatment for our bunnies, especially if he was billed to bea rabbit savvy vet. I'm simply FUMING right now.One of our own dear members, RabbitGirl, has a tragic story about hervet's incompetence which caused her to lose her bunny, BunBun.

Please keep us advised of your precious baby's progress.

I hope your bunny keeps makingimprovements. Thats too bad that a vet dont knowwhat to give and not what to give.

Cristy

BunnyMommy wrote:
There's not a one of us here who wouldn't take our vet's word forprescribed treatment for our bunnies, especially if he was billed to bea rabbit savvy vet. I'm simply FUMING right now.One of our own dear members, RabbitGirl, has a tragic story about hervet's incompetence which caused her to lose her bunny, BunBun.

ooooooo

I'm fuming too. Vets make me so mad! I'm so thankful for Kathy Smith's book--if they prescribe something I can look it up first!

Rose

Cinnibun - So glad to hear Talia is doing alittle better. I forgot to mention that my vet wasquestioning the need for ammox. also, I was so concerned with gettingyou the info. You should definitely alert your vet to theproblem, hopefully that will prevent future problems. I mustsay I would not return to that vet, that was a major mistake, not oneto be overlooked.

Probiotics provide beneficial bacteria to the digestivesystem. She would have lost some of these with the softstool. There is a product called Bene-Bac which would befound in most larger pet stores. Also, Peter's (Marshall's)makes a "Rabbit Probiotic". The Bene-Bac is in a tube,actually 3 or 4 small ones to a pack and the Peter's Rabbit Probioticis in a powder. I have used the Bene-Bac for mybuns. I have used the Ferret (marketed as Marshall's, butsame company) equivalent of the Peter's and have had success withboth.

Thoughts and Prayers for Talia until the crisis is over.

I normally don't use probiotics, but have used Acid Pac in the past. It's available at some feed stores.

Cirrustwi gave some good suggestions.

Pam

cirrustwi: If you have atube of Bene-Bac handy would you please read the label to see if itcontains Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria,LactococcusorPediococcus?

" These fourbacteria are generally absent in the rabbit digestive system. If absentin a healthy GI tract, their efficacy after administration can bequestioned, since the environmental conditions of the rabbit gastro-intestinal tract may not be the one required by those bacteria."

-http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Probiotics/probiotics.htm

Thank goodness your bunny is on themend! It's frightening what these vets do! Complainto the vet in writing and state that you demand a reply as well as anapology for the near death of your rabbit.

As vets, surely they must recognise how important pets are to people,no matter what species they are! I cry when my fish die nevermind a rabbit!! Why do they go into vetinary practice ifthey're not going to care about the animals?! :X

Ang xx

Cinnibun wrote:
cirrustwi: If you have a tube ofBene-Bac handy would you please read the label to see if it containsLactobacilli, Bifidobacteria,LactococcusorPediococcus?

" These fourbacteria are generally absent in the rabbit digestive system. If absentin a healthy GI tract, their efficacy after administration can bequestioned, since the environmental conditions of the rabbit gastro-intestinal tract may not be the one required by those bacteria."

-http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Probiotics/probiotics.htm

Many experts are saying that while it appears the bacteria from theprobiotics do not survive in the intestinal tract, they appear to bebeneficial -- they are not certain why though. The jury isstill out on whether or not they actually help or not. It maybe something as simple as they just alter the ph of the gut making theenvironment inhospitable to the harmful bacterias -- whoknows. If so, adding a little vinegar to her water would bevery helpful.

I like to use Nutri Cal as I believe the vitamin E has healing effectsin the intestinal tract which may especially be helpful forinflammation. Not sure if it's true or not -- but I've founduse of the product to bevery helpful in supportivetreatment. The glucose in Nutri Cal would also be verybeneficial and is easily metabolized. Avoid refined sugars.

Pam

I'm actually at my brother's house, housesitting, so I don't have it with me, but I looked it up and here iswhat I found about Bene-Bac

15 grams of live naturally occurring micro-organisms for dogs,cats and other small mammals subjected to changing environment,training, working, transporting or hand feeding.

Guaranteed total live (viable) Lactic Acid Producing Bacteria: 10million colony forming units per gram. (Lactobacillus acidophilus,Lactobacillus plantarum, Streptococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei).
For Newborns
0.5 g at birth; 0.5 g on day 3, 5, and 7 and at weaning. Hand fedorphans increase to 1 g on days 7, 14 and at introduction to solid food
Maintenance: 1 g for each 10 lbs of body weight up to 50 lbs. 5gfor 50 lbs body weight and over. Administer 1 day prior and 1 dayfollowing conditions above.

It is made by Pet Ag and comes in a few different forms, but this is the one for mammals.

Peter's also makes a powder specifically for rabbits:

ProBiotic Digestive Tract Conditioner, with lactobacillus acidophilus,helps recondition the digestive tract for rabbits and small animals.Aid and maintain proper digestive health. Enhances rabbit’s ability toefficiently absorb nutrients. Natural supplement to remedy digestivedisorders. Improves overall skin and coat appearance.

Pam- What kind of nutri-cal do you use, I know they make a ferretspecific and one for cats and dogs....I was just wondering. Ilike to have that kind of thing on hand, just in case

I use the cat/dog Nutri Cal although I do know ofpeople who use the ferret version. There is also a goodproduct called Critical Care for Herbivores which is an easy toadminister "pellet slushie".

Pam

Back