Amoxicillin trihydrate clavulanate potassium (Clavamox)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnibun

Reaction score
About a week ago my bunny, Talia, got her foot tangled up in a leash and strained her leg. I got freaked and immediately took her to the vet. After an hour ofwaiting, we saw the vet and he said that she was a very lucky bun in that she didn't break any bones. He prescribed Amoxicillin (Clavamox) in case she had torn a muscle. Without thinking I gave it to Talia in her water for about three days. Had I looked at the label closer I would have found "For use in dogs and cats", not bunnies.

Smart thing that she is, she quit drinking the water and refused to beforce-fed the stuff. I've since given her fresh unmedicated water and she is drinking again. But now my baby has diarrhea and is notherself. She's lost nearly all of her energy and is actingweak. She also can't seem to keep warm. I've given hera dose of Simethicone and she seems slightly better. She continues to grind her teeth loudly (Not a purr) every two minutes or so.

I feel even worse after having read this online: "Antibiotics that should never be given to rabbits. Even one dose of the following can be deadly: Amoxicillin, lincomycin, clindamycin."

I don't know what to do and I'm not going to take her back to that vetbut he's the only local one that I know ofwho deals with rabbits. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Oh, geez! I hope our resident expert,Pam Nock, sees your post, as she is, perhaps, the most qualified personwho frequents here to suggest any treatment.

In the advent she does not reply some time soon, you might click on hername, access her profile and send her a private message alerting her toyour problem.

My heart goes out to you and your poor bunny. The vetshould castigated for gross negligence. If you canread the contraindications on the meds, he should have been aware ofthem prior to prescribing same.

I'm so sorry. Prayers going out for your bunny.

Buck

Oh Goodness! :shock:

That's horrible Cinnibun.

You might try putting a heating pad with a towel over it in case shecan't stay warm, she can go to it. Put it on low and make sure she canmove off of it if she needs to.

I'll email Pamnock now and hopefully she'll be awake, if not, she's usually an early riser.

Keep us posted, and if you have to syringe feed her water, do so sothat she doesn't become dehydrated. Dehyration can quickly take thelife of a rabbit.

Don't beat yourself up, you didn't know.

-Carolyn

I can't offer advice, but I do want to make a point.

Do not blame yourself for giving it to the rabbit. Any personthat didn't know any betterwould take a vets word for itwithout questionand you were no exception. The sad thing isthat vets do not know this sort of stuff. If you think about it, itwouldn't be acceptable in human doctors, so why animal doctors?

Let this serve as a reminder to all rabbit owners to do research on anything and everything before it is given to the rabbit.

I'll be praying for her.

Thanks guys for your quick replys. Idon't have anywhere else to go for reliableinformation.I'm keeping Talia wrapped up in a towelto keep her warm. As far as I know she is still drinking, butI'm not sure that she's eating. I will definitely keepyouposted.

Thank you Carolyn for emailing Pam, I felt alittle funny about me doing it.

MyBunnyBoys: The really terrible part is that I searched farand wide on the web for all the rabbit careguides I couldfindbefore I got my girl but passed over the part about howto find a good vet. I thought I'd never have to worry aboutthat.

Thank you also for all your prayers. :)

Well that's probably common. More people than notjust assume that any vet is a good vet! It takes message boards likethis one to really educate the people as I've learned.

I was very fortunate to have found a good vet that treats rabbits and have treated his own rabbits.

That is so terrible. I feel foryou. I know of a few people who have had serious problemswith vets when dealing with "exotics". Your vet should haveknown what he was perscribing and....oh it makes me so angry for you.

Keep her warm and hydrated. And look on the web for a list ofvets that treat exotics, you should be able to find some in your areaor within a reasonable traveling distance. I would suggestcalling first and explaining what happened, ask to speak directly tothe vet, and see if they can help, if not call another and anotheruntil you find someone. I know a wonderful exotics vet in myarea and he has hours tomorrow so I could call him for some advise ifyou would like? He treats my rabbits and I have never had aproblem and when he spayed Basil, he put her on antibiotics.He also treated my ferret when he had a reaction to medicine fromanother vet, so he might know what to do.

Good luck. Thoughts and Prayers for your bunny.

cirrustwi,thank you for youroffer.Your vet sounds like a knowledgeable personwho knows his stuff. By all means, please call himandlet me know what he says.

I just got up and saw the post:( Please inform your vetthat Amoxicillin can be fatal to rabbits as it's use canresult inenterotoxemia. It should***never*** be used for rabbits.Other penicillinproducts can be used, butshould never be administeredorally. After3 daysoftreatmentis the critical point where a rabbitoften develops a fataldiarrhea in 40-80% of the caseswhereoral penicillins are used.

I can only hope that she is still handing in there thismorning. Enterotoxemia sweeps through the system so quicklythat there is often no chance of treatment. It is oftencaused by the proliferation of toxins such as E. coli, C. spiroforme orClostridiumwhich produces a lethaliotatoxinin the gut.

Unfortunately, this strikes so quickly that treatment is oftenfruitless. You can try getting her to the vet and having herput on fluids. Cholestyramine is most commonly usedin treatment.

I lost a buck to enterotoxemia years ago after administering oralpenicillin. Sadly, he went so fast that there was no chanceto administer any treatment.

I am praying hard that Talia is still with you this morning and that she recovers.

Pam

Cinnibun wrote:
Thank you Carolyn for emailing Pam, I felt alittle funny about me doing it.

:)

Please don't ever hesitate to email me personally if you need something[email protected]Carolyn has my phone number if it's an emergency.

If I'm in the house, I'll hear the email come in and be able to answerpromptly. I normally go to bed rather early as we get up at5:30 on school days.

Pam

Cinnibun, I just got off the phone with myvet. He basically reiterated what Pam said. Rushthat bunny right to a vet. He was infuriated that somethinglike that could happen with a "so called rabbit experiencedvet". He said that unforuntately there isn't much that can bedone because enterotoximia goes through the system soquickly. He said to make sure you tell the vet's office thatit is an EMERGENCY and speak directly to the VET -- you may have to beforceful on that one, and tell him/her exactly what happened along withwhen the amoxiciallin was given and that you suspect enterotoximia.

[align=center]Best of luck to you. Thoughts and prayers for you and Talia[/align]

I'm so sorry that this happen to poor Talia,Cinnibun! I'm praying that she gets better soon. I lost my first rat tomismedication from a vet who knew nothing about rats, and I felt sobetrayed and angry, and sad. I hope that Talia pulls through!! Like Pamsaid, make sure that you speak to the vet about what he did wrong. Itcould mean the difference between life and death for a future bunny (orbunnies).

Oh Cinnibun,

I'm afraid to ask.

How's the baby doing?

-Carolyn

Oh, I am so sorry! That's absolutely appalling,that vet needs to be made aware of the consequences of his actions. Iwould be livid! :X

((((((((((hugs))))))))))) I'm really sorry you and Talia are having to go through this. :(We're all here for you.

Unfortunately, it's not an unusual occurrence tohear of vets prescribing oral penicillins for rabbits despite the factthat the dangers ofits use in rabbitsare so welldocumented.

I hope we hear some news soon.

Pam

I did neglect to mention that I found it highlyunusual that an antibiotic would have been prescribed in the firstplace -- considering a pulled muscle was suspected. Ifanything, a vet would prescribe a pain med and anti-inflammatory, butnot antibiotics. :X

Pam

Back