Alicia's Zoo Crew Bonding Journals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NZminilops wrote:
Another awesome entry into the blog. This thing is going to be a godsend for me when I have to start bonding with my little indoor brats.
I am glad.
I like the idea of Wyatt with the trio. He seems to 'fit'. Teresa is going to have 3 boys all to herself!
Yes he does. Not sure why but I hope.
I loved the NIC bonding pen you made, I think it's a great idea. Do you still use that idea much?
Well now with the size of the cages no. Now I have an NIC hallway gate. So some can go in the hallway others in the living room. I also have 2 extra pens.
Thanks so much for answering my questions :hug:. I printed out the questions and answers to keep in my rabbit information folder.
I am glad it is helping you. Keep asking questions. I already have tomorrow and Thursdays entries done.

Awesome! Thanks!

Just weird, because with Poppy and Pebbles, there was no mounting after spays and no chasing.. they were a breeze to bond! Bruno just looks to add some spice to the mix ;).

[align=center]Dallas the Holland Lop: The Possessive Bun[/align]

[align=left]

Dallas Jinx Jones born February 9, 2006 is a 4lb fluff-ball of terror. He will try to bite even though he has no teeth. He tends to be pretty possessive.

When Dallas first bonded with Teresa he would charge and bite if you touched her. With time he adjusted a little to us petting her. She was the groomer.

During are attempt to bond Elvis to them it was interesting to say the least. Dallas was fine after a few sessions with Elvis. His only problem was if Elvis went to Teresa on his own, or if she went to Elvis. Now if he was with Teresa and she came over it was ok.

After Connor joined the group Dallas has relaxed more. He is not possessive of Teresa with Connor. Though sometimes in the cage he will sit in front of them blocking outsiders. When Elvis is near he will herd them away from him (Elvis).

Despite it all Dallas is a goofy boy who each day is coming around more.

Some things we have tried to deal with this are...
[/align]

[align=center]
1) Distracting him. ANY way it takes, food, noise (not loud) Clap your hands, squirt bottles are good. One shot to the butt usually distracts them.

2) Give him lots of attention. Pet him!! Give him a treat.

3) Do one on one time with him and the new person before brining the others. (Works when already bonded and trying to add a new one.)
[/align]

[align=left]
I advise try to have help as much as possible.

100_9313.jpg

100_9345.jpg

100_9346.jpg

100_9371.jpg

100_9372.jpg

100_9374.jpg

100_9375.jpg

100_9376.jpg

100_9378.jpg

100_9384.jpg

100_9387.jpg

--------------------------

To Be Continued...
[/align]

[align=center]Relationship with Bonded Bunnies: Ways to Work on the Bond Between Humans and Bunnies.[/align]
100_9349.jpg

So often I hear "will I loose the bond with my bun if I add another?" That is a loaded question. So far my bonds seemed to have deepened with Teresa and Dallas. Were as Connor it is still there but I see him deter to them more than me.

Teresa

100_9344.jpg

Solo:
Teresa has always been a little skittish. She would curl up in a tiny little bunny loaf if you approached her. You had to stay perfectly still and let her come to you.

Bonded Pair:
Teresa started to relax a little. She would come when called. She would still tense a little when approached but no way near as bad as before.

Bonded Trio:
Since this bond she is now more active. Teresa is jumping up on the couch which she had not done in all the time we have had her. She is often found legs stretched like a play boy bunny. She comes to us and will look for attention.

Dallas:

100_9428.jpg

Solo:
No idea. It was bonding from the get go.

Bonded Pair:
He was a BOSSY POSSESSIVE little punk, and all ours. His spunk is what made us have to have him.Very laid back, I don't care attitude.

Bonded Trio:
Dallas has become even more laid back if that is possible. Now he will jump up on you and give you kisses till he leaves you wet.

Connor:

100_9337.jpg

Solo:
We got connor he was at our best guess 5-6 weeks old. He went weverywhere with us. When I was home alone with them I was almost always with him. Ok, at the time he was a she. I was in bed a lot because of headaches and he was with me. He had a litter pan, water dish, food, and hay. He would do bunny 500's and binkies. Puberty hit and wow. No one could touch me, he would destroy his cage. He would box Rob when we had him with us on the bed and Rob touched me.

Bonded Pair:
Was not in one.

Bonded Trio:
Honestly Connor has not changed much. He is still a daredevil. Still VERY bonded to me. He does seem a lot happier.

So that explains my bunnies. I think that we never completely lose the bond with our rabbits. Sometimes we just become second to the other bun.

In cases like Teresa the bond actually deepens. I had Teresa who was shy of humans and you put her with a bun like Dallas who is so outgoing she comes out of her shell.

[align=center]Ways to Work on Your Bond[/align]

[align=center]1) Try to get one on one time together. It is a good way to get to know them and for them to know you.
2) Get down on the floor with them. Be part of their out time.
3) Healthy treats! Good way to get them to play with you.
[/align]
-----------------------
To Be Continued.....

This is awesome! They look so happy together..... Little Teresa being loved (and squishied) by her boys.

Wyatt is about as cute as can be too!

[align=center]Update on Bonding[/align]

[align=left]I use the living room as their bonding area. Currently I divide the living room in half and Elvis is on one side and trio on the other. There is some slight nipping in the first 20mintues. I am doing this all day. On days off that is and sometimes at nights if we have time.[/align]

[align=left]After awhile it stops they flop on either side. They sit next to each other on either side of the barrier. The other day Connor jumped the barrier and ran over to where Elvis was and did nothing! So nipping, no chasing nothing. Elvis also just sat there and watched.[/align]
[align=left]I am not giving up! No matter how long it takes.[/align]
[align=left]Wyatt saw the vet yesterday and was a ok. So now just to set the day for the snip!!![/align]

Minor scuffles but I have the trio with Elvis!

They are sharing food! Treats! And me!

[line]

[align=center]UPDATE
[/align]
[line]

[align=center]
1) Chibi and Elvis are still working on bonding.

2) Trio and Wyatt have started Bonding.

101_0446.jpg

101_0447.jpg

101_0451.jpg

101_0457.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]Where Does Wyatt Belong? Part Deux[/align]

Well on January 4, 2008 Wyatt went in for his neuter. He went through that with flying colors. Little by little his hormones are going down. Healing just fine.

We have tried him with the trio and for the most part it went well. Hopefully it will continue to go that way. He is just fine with Dallas, and Teresa ignores him for the most part.

Connor and him...yea Connor can be a butt. I swear that boy will turn my hair gray. He is such an little pest at times. Of course he is my baby.

I have not tried him with Elvis yet. I may this weekend if I have time. Not sure that I will though. In another post I will talk about Elvis and Chibi.

I don't know that they will bond but I am not giving up no matter how long it takes. So many things can happen.

The end goal is for them to all be bonded. Who knows if it will happen. They are all family so we have time. :p
Wanted+Wyatt.jpg

Awesome Ali! It looks like it's going really well with the quad!

I know if I tried a quad there would be fur everywhere and some ticked off bunnies ;).

I just read this whole blog and now I finally have the guts to take all three of my neutered guys into the bathroom for a bonding session. I need to get over the fear of having my bathroom sprayed with pee by Brody and the possible baths that Morgan and Marlin may have to face due to being peed on by Brody.

Let's hope Marlin has calmed down and is not a humping machine anymore and let's hope that Brody behaves himself.

LETS DOOO DISSSSSS :party0002:.

:nerves1

undergunfire wrote:
I just read this whole blog and now I finally have the guts to take all three of my neutered guys into the bathroom for a bonding session. I need to get over the fear of having my bathroom sprayed with pee by Brody and the possible baths that Morgan and Marlin may have to face due to being peed on by Brody.

Let's hope Marlin has calmed down and is not a humping machine anymore and let's hope that Brody behaves himself.

LETS DOOO DISSSSSS :party0002:.

:nerves1

Bout time Chicken. I am going to be working on bonding ALOT this week. :biggrin2:

Sheesh do you think I need to update this?

This coming Saturday at 11am Elvis has a date with his possible friend Barley/Xander Antonio Leopold Maximus. I am really hoping he is the one ifhe isn'tthan wekeep trying.

:whistlingThought I would update this soon. Anyone think I should?

JadeIcing wrote:
:whistlingThought I would update this soon. Anyone think I should?

Yez Yes yez

So were do I start so much has happened...

We ended up having to separate Teresa from Dallas and Connor. We are still not sure what triggered this and honestly just very sad about it. Even though Chibi joined Connor and Dallas it still hurt to see them apart from her. So now my trio is Connor, Dallas, and Chibi.

4848_125738611616_764921616_2816825_6897473_n.jpg

Elvis went on his date but it didn't work out. We had our ears open for other bond candidates but we figured it would be best if we took a break. Than something got into me to start trying Elvis with Teresa.It was a very very slow process. Now we have a new bonded pair... Elvis and Teresa.

4932_126630336616_764921616_2829844_5771720_n.jpg

We also have a sort of bonded pair/trio... Ringo, Apple and Gabriel if we had the room to build what they would needwe believe could live together. Well Apple and Gabriel full time and Ringo for playtime...

7530_200745566616_764921616_3870378_1415548_n.jpg

Wyatt is just a confusing bunny. We don't know what he wants. I wish that I could talk to him and the boys and make them see how awesome living together would be. I would love to see him with the three boys and to help that we are now housing him next to the boys. We are going to take whatever signs they give us and go from there. We have all the time in the world.

102_8532.jpg

One thing I want to bring up is bringing another bunny into our family...

While it has crossed our minds one thing that bothers me is moving. Right now we would have at least 11 bunnies, the dog, the skink and soon 2 geckos. Even going 15min drive would be a chore. So no we be adding any bunnies (though I do understand sometimes life has other plans.) evenone we had planned.

Another thing that bothers me is in an emergency I have two flights of stairs and how many animals to get out? Yea :shock:we will be working on a new emergency evac plan and also acting it out. Timing ourselves and what not. Maybe even record it! We have two plans one that is if we had prep time and one if we had to get out in that moment.

Also the chance of ending up with another single scares the crap out of me!:scared:

There are so many things to consider when adding another bunny. Look a your family and think of your over all need not just what you think they feel or need. Keep in mind while it maymake the one bunny happy how will iteffectthe rest of your family.

So we figured we would give it a shot One minor scuffle that they ALL bounced back from. Slight mountingbut all in all very well.

102_8761.jpg

102_8762.jpg

102_8767.jpg

102_8768.jpg

102_8769.jpg

102_8770.jpg

102_8771.jpg

102_8772.jpg

Latest posts

Back