Alicia's Zoo Crew Bonding Journals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
[align=center]I have a bonded trio and I love it![/align]
I started working on this for somewhere else but people thought it would be good to make a blog for here too.

Originally I had two rabbits Samantha and Ringo. Sam hated Ringo and we could tell Ringo was lonely. It made us sad and than I met a tiny little girl bunny falling in love instantly. I thought ok once the little one was old enough they would be fixed and put together. They got along well. My Pandora was a dream come true.

Samantha

c1d8re2.jpg

Ringo

Ringo3.jpg

Pandora

1fcere2.jpg

b83bre2.jpg

A month later another rabbit joined our family. She was so perfect that instantly we knew she could not leave.

02-22-06_1412.jpg

So I put this new addition who we call Teresa with my baby girl Pandora and instant friendship. Though we didn't put them together over night. Shoot they were only together if we could see them.

ConnorandTeresa4.jpg

Thank god because I caught Pandora as she first started to mount Teresa. Picked him up and yea she became Connor a male bunny. So separate them. Ok Well now we say ok lets get them fixed and than bond....the boys get sick. So they could not get fixed until they were off meds.

We took Teresa into be spayed and thinking the boys would not get neutered it would be ok to get her a friend. We started looking and found Dallas.

100_2595.jpg

I had Dallas and Teresa meet a few times before hand. My mom was fostering Dallas. He mounted her at first but than would stop the first two times. Than brought him home and bam instant bonding. That was the beginning of December.

Quotes from original blog.

(NOV6th)

JadeIcing wrote:
Teresa's Bunny Date with Dallas

Well this is waaaay over do. Teresa had her first bunny date. It went well. Some mounting on his part. At that time he was only 2 weeks post neuter. So....to be expected. No aggression.

Ok down to my feelings. Ever see a rabbit for that matter any animal for the first time and your heart scream he is mine? That was what it was like seeing Dallas. Mona opened his carrier and he looked out, glanced side to side. Than walked right out. Mind you my dog, my moms three dogs, and several people were there. He started walking around like he owned the place. Friendly as can be. How could I not love him. That attitude, that sense of being the "man".Plus that face was just tooo cute. He is adoption pending for us.

He will be one Feb 9th, kind of funny my parents anni is Feb 10th. I can't wait till he is home with us, I am so happy but sad he isn't here yet. We would like him here for X-mas but if not than definitely for his birthday.

Well we are keeping the name Dallas but are looking for a middle name. We are thinking something with a J so we can call him DJ.This is what we have so far.

DJ
Dallas Jayme, Dallas Jaymes, Dallas Jameson, Dallas Jayden, Dallas Jaiden, Dallas Jones, Dallas James, Dallas Judson, Dallas Jett, Dallas Jinx(my fave so far), Dallas Jentry, Dallas Jackson, Dallas Jamison

(NOV 30th)
The drive home.
100_2680.jpg

JadeIcing wrote:
It's going great!!!!!!!! They are grooming a little (both). No mounting.
Eating with no fighting. He is flopping out....I mean total flop...dead
bunny flop. She doesn't flop much. They have been together an hour and
a half. No problems...we are considering letting them stay together.

Any one on here care to weigh in on this?

JadeIcing wrote:
Neither are aggressive. He has no teeth. I don't know! I want to but at the same time I just don't know. The pen is right in front of my bed and I am a light sleeper. So if they did fight I would here.

(DEC 1st)
JadeIcing wrote:
Well the new guy has been at my moms house. She was fostering him. We work with the rescue. So I know he is good, also he was just vet checked a month ago.

Well we put her in her cage last night. Today it is 7am and they are both in the pen. We set it in the living room so they will be next tome all day. He is flopped out, she is doing binkies. As long as they don't fight they stay together. I am home all day so we'll see.

It's funny...He is flopped out....she will go over nose to nose. He creeps closer....lick.
Look up..."What I did not groom her." She licks..."What I didn't groom him!"

JadeIcing wrote:
Well they are having a major mutual grooming session. I mean it was just awesome...I started crying. I must be such a dork.

(DEC2nd)
JadeIcing wrote:
Well last night we tried separating them and they were so upset. Stomping there feet, flipping dishes, just plain mad. So we put them back together to see. They both flopped out together, so we decided to try it. Not one fight I kept waking up to check, they were either grooming or cuddling.

JadeIcing wrote:
Yup went out for a few hours came back and they were playing together. Cat tube and tent that she ignored she is now playing with because he is. They were both in the tent and it was so cute.

(DEC11th)

JadeIcing wrote:
They were pushing the blanket around today. It was so cute. One pushes it one way than the other pushes it back.

Few days into them being together.
100_2726.jpg

In January we some how got another bun. I swear I didn't plan it. That was our Elvis.

Elvis_copy.jpg

Four days after he joined us Connor started a new med.

Elvis was neutered and once hormones started going down we started putting them together for short spurts. Once we started longer bonding sessions we notice Dallas would get annoyed if Elvis went over to Teresa.

(FEB13th)

JadeIcing wrote:
Other than some mounting from Elvis who is only one week neutered, no problems.They groomed Elvis.Sorry not some aren't so good.Elvis is wet because he flipped the big water dish I had out.

100_4646.jpg

100_4647.jpg

100_4649.jpg

100_4651.jpg

100_4656.jpg

100_4659.jpg

100_4654.jpg

100_5568.jpg

It was if he did not want to share. Also I think he was just to active for Dallas. Dallas tends to be a little laid back while Elvis is ALWAYS on the go.

To Be Continued.

I'm proud to be the first reponce in this thread :D. You alredy know I think your bunnies are gorgeous so I wont insult your intelligence with a generic 'cute' comment.

This is an awesome idea for a thread Ali, pleae continue with it!

:pI will continue. I like what I am doing.

I plan on writting alot more. Also as people ask things I can answer and than add to it.

March 15, 2007 was an amazing nerve wrecking day. Something we thought would never happen took place. Connor was neutered. From their Bonding took a few twist and turns.

(MAR 17th)

JadeIcing wrote:
Looks like bonding between Elvis, Dallas and Teresa is going to take a back burner. My DH and I have talked about it alot and we would rather try and bond Connor and Elvis first. We are worried that Connor could end up alone. The two boys get along and either way we are willing to work at it. Connor has groomed him through the bars. Not aggression.

(APR 9th)

JadeIcing wrote:
Well bonding here has been interesting. I got a nice chunk out of me for trying. It turns out Elvis is the one starting things with others. Than tries to act innocent after.

After awhile out between Dallas, Teresa and Elvis they start picking on each other. Than after a bit they are fine. Than it starts again.

Between Dallas, Teresa and Connor there has been grooming, sharing food, and just being near each other. There has been no aggression.

Between Elvis and Connor...the first time Elvis saw Connor he lunged out of my husbands hands and went straight for Connor. I was holding Connor so I covered him with my hands. He is so tiny it wasn't hard.Elvis managed to give me a nice bite on my hand.

Since that day we tried it one more time. Holding both tight. Poor Connor was so scared we put Elvis back. Took out Dallas and Teresa and he was fine.

Here are some pictures Dallas, Teresa, and Connor.

100_6948.jpg

100_6938.jpg

100_6946.jpg

100_6942.jpg

100_6941.jpg

100_6940.jpg

100_6939.jpg

100_6937.jpg

100_6557.jpg

100_6547.jpg

100_6549.jpg

100_6555.jpg

100_6551.jpg

--

Hows this for bonding. I made a huge pen,divided it in half and than divided half in half. Dallas and Teresa in the big half. Elvis and Connor each in one of the small ones.

100_7176.jpg

100_7177.jpg

100_7178.jpg

100_7179.jpg

--

(APR 10th)

JadeIcing wrote:

Well the pen thing yesterday went well. No trying to attack each other.Connor is a little aggressive with grooming. He left poor Elvis with alittle bald patch. They flop out next to each other through the cages.I plan on doing a week not changing the sheet, rotating them in everyday. Let them get used to each others smells. Maybe a few weeks of this before I actually try and put Elvis and Connor together.

100_7181.jpg

100_7183.jpg

100_7184.jpg

100_7186.jpg

100_7190.jpg

100_7196.jpg

100_7197.jpg

100_7204.jpg

(APR 18th)

JadeIcing wrote:
Well today right now. I mean it right this second I am working with Dallas, Teresa and Elvis.

Dallas is no longer trying to kick Elvis butt. He is now mounting him. Elvis is just taking it. (Started today) I let him do it a little but I spray if they(Dallas) keep at it. Mind you he doesn't do it more than a few minutes.

Yesterday I had Dallas, Teresa and Connor together. I would say the same about them.

Dallas is such a butt. He is trying to say he is boss by beating people up. HELLO DALLAS NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT! So chill!

(APR 20th)

I stopped trying with Elvis. He is just being a punk about it. So we started concentrating on just Dallas, Teresa and Connor. Which seems to be going great!

I left them together almost all day yesterday half the day before. We put them together this morning at 9am and it is now 4:37 they are still together and no fighting what so ever!!!!!! Which is something I cannot say about the duo with Elvis. So as long as they keep getting along tonight we will try Connor, Dallas and Teresa in the duos cage. Than if that goes well we try them in Connors. If that goes well we will try it for a few days before making a bigger cage.

Here are some pictures.

100_7602.jpg

100_7622.jpg

100_7685.jpg

100_7682.jpg

100_7690.jpg

100_7696.jpg

---------------------
(APR 21st)
JadeIcing wrote:
5 hours in Dallas and Teresa's cage no issues yet.
--
They spent the night together and nothing. Ok well nothing bad. They groomed, shared pellets, cuddled and soon.

Ok first pictures are in the cage I made for fun. (Yea I am weird)

100_7690.jpg

100_7695.jpg

100_7693.jpg

100_7784.jpg

100_7786.jpg

100_7697.jpg

100_7700.jpg

100_7703.jpg

100_7704.jpg

--
JadeIcing wrote:
In the cage last night.

100_7798.jpg

100_7801.jpg

100_7802.jpg

100_7803.jpg

100_7804.jpg

100_7810.jpg

--
JadeIcing wrote:
What I found this morning.

100_7812.jpg

100_7811.jpg

100_7813.jpg

100_7814.jpg

100_7815.jpg

------------------------

To Be Continued

In between all that a bun came to our family with the intentions of him going to my mom once he was neutered. That was April 1st.

Well recently we came to the most important decision we love him. How can we let him go? Thank you Jim.

He is not neutered and will be ASAP. We will see how he does with the Elvis but he has had some interaction with the trio that went great.

I know its bad but I love the bond I have with Elvis and it scares me that I could lose it. First I think we will go for bonding with the trio.

I still plan on adding Elvis or at least trying it slowly. Who knows what will happen this is the start of a hopefully new bonds.
--------------------
To be Continued....

Awww I am glad you picked the right one for Connor, I sure love his spunky attitude face. I love your grey one, which one is that bun. I love the grumpy face.

Cute buns, at least your DH loves animals so much.

Grumpy butt is Dallas. Connor is my heart.

My husband is an awesome daddy to them. He was the one who got me into this bunny world.

They are so cute, I love grumby face buns though. I think they are the best. My Abby was the grumpy face, she was brown and white holland lop, Cirrustwi adopted her and I have not heard from her.

So glad you made a bonding blog - you're my inspiration. :D

I love the pen idea, I am going to set something similar up for my guys to play in, although I have to make mine witha cover because all 3 of my guys can jump out the 2 high NIC easily. (sigh).

Hey Ali, I love this! I have a few questions for you.

With Teresa being so much smaller than the others, how does she cope when you try to bond larger rabbits to her? How do you actually go about bonding, just stick them together and hope for the best? Don't they rip eachothers noses off through the NIC panels?

You're such an inspiration for bonding trios! I had started to bond Jack with Lucky and BunBun. Jack and Lucky bonded right away, never any sign of aggression from those two. But then trying to add in BunBun was hell. He got angry at Lucky and charged and tried to attack her just for smelling like Jack.

When Bailey and Sakura are older I want to try bonding. Looks like Sakura wont weigh more than 2 pounds at adulthood, and Bailey could be anywhere between 4.5-6.5...do you think that could still work?

Thanks for all the awesome stories and pictures :D.

NZminilops wrote:
Hey Ali, I love this! I have a few questions for you.

With Teresa being so much smaller than the others, how does she cope when you try to bond larger rabbits to her? How do you actually go about bonding, just stick them together and hope for the best? Don't they rip eachothers noses off through the NIC panels?
Teresa is very calm, except when she doesn't like someone. I think most rabbits like people know who they like and who they don't.She was not afraid of bigger rabbits at ALL. She would charge Samantha and not think twice.I usually start by putting them on the bed or on the couch with me right next to them. Pillows are good to stick between them, t-shirts or sheets are good to toss on top of one giving you alittle time to grab the other. I was putting double NIC between Connor and Elvis do to the nipping. Though they never could get more than fur through the bars.
You're such an inspiration for bonding trios! I had started to bond Jack with Lucky and BunBun. Jack and Lucky bonded right away, never any sign of aggression from those two. But then trying to add in BunBun was hell. He got angry at Lucky and charged and tried to attack her just for smelling like Jack.
I don't start with the easy ones. I tend to start with the trouble makers first because I feel if I get through them first the other will be easier to get through too.
When Bailey and Sakura are older I want to try bonding. Looks like Sakura wont weigh more than 2 pounds at adulthood, and Bailey could be anywhere between 4.5-6.5...do you think that could still work?
I think it can work but only if they are willing. I think it is very possible for it to work for your little ones.
Thanks for all the awesome stories and pictures :D.
Anytime.

HoneyPot wrote:
So glad you made a bonding blog - you're my inspiration. :D
Aww thank you. I think anything is possible when you want it. Sometimes I think Elvis senses that I don't want to share him.:?
I love the pen idea, I am going to set something similar up for my guys to play in, although I have to make mine witha cover because all 3 of my guys can jump out the 2 high NIC easily. (sigh).

[align=center]The Culprits[/align]
Connor Grayson, a 3lb almost 2 year old, black polish bun. We bought him when he was 5 weeks old. We were told he was older and had no clue if it was true. (Neutered)

Connor is a daredevil with and attitude. Though he does know when you need him to be sweet. He can be very protective of what he thinks belongs to him. He has been known to be nippy.

100_6347.jpg

Teresa Mekare is a 2lb 2-3 year old Agouti Netherland Dwarf. We got her when she was 6-9 months. Possibly. No idea for sure. (Spayed)

Teresa is a sweet cautious little girl. She tends to be just fine with males but far from nice to females. We call her the little mother because she seems to always be grooming someone.

100_9206.jpg

Dallas Jinx Jones is a 4lb blue holland lop. We adopted him from 3bunnies Rabbit Rescue. He was turned in along with his brother. Previous owners could not afford to have his teeth removed due to malocclusion. (Neutered)

Dallas is a tough boy. I honestly believe we are lucky he has no teeth. He tries to bite! He doesn't groom often, but has been.....guess who? Normally takes an instant dislike to others but when it's meant to be, it's instant.

100_9130.jpg

Elvis Aaron is a 5lb blue eyed white bunny. We got him in January of '07. He was about 5 months old. (Neutered.)

Elvis is a sweet, active boy when he is alone. So far when put with others he is fine for a little then seems to irritate them.

100_9230.jpg

Wyatt Earp is a 4lb blue lop-wooley-lion head mix, or so I am told. He was brought to our home by Jim D. (Not yet neutered.)

Wyatt seems to be very laid back. Sure he isn't neutered yet not so sure how much it may change him. So far he seems to get along with them all.

100_9190.jpg

------------------------------------
To be continued....

Awesome blog! :dude:

Since I'm going to be having the first ever trio bonding sessionthis Thursday (WOOHOOOO!)

I'm a bit nervous when it actually comes to moving them into one cage.. how did you do this? Do I gradually start having them in familiar territory after they are 100%ok and comfortable in neutraland watch for any aggressive behaviour? Or do I clean and wipe everything, so it's all neutral for them before I put them all in the cage?

How long after they are moved in can you start to relax and become pretty sure that they won't break into a fight? Or is it just something that can happen out of the blue?

Do you ever get any jealousy issues with 2 of the buns and the other one left out and gets upset? Or do they sort of just spread the love around?

Have you noticed anything different during bonding with a pair than a trio?

I noticed Michelle NZminilopsbrought up a point about a big/small bunnies and bonding.. I'm worried also because there's a huge difference between Bruno and especially Poppy, 7-8lbs around. Do I just have to hope he doesn't bother mounting them too much?

Did you encounter any food issues with bonding a trio?

I know I'll think of more later, but that's a start :D

Spring wrote:
Awesome blog! :dude:

Since I'm going to be having the first ever trio bonding sessionthis Thursday (WOOHOOOO!)
Thank you!
I'm a bit nervous when it actually comes to moving them into one cage.. how did you do this? Do I gradually start having them in familiar territory after they are 100%ok and comfortable in neutraland watch for any aggressive behaviour? Or do I clean and wipe everything, so it's all neutral for them before I put them all in the cage?
When it cam to the cage for Teresa and Dallas they got a new pen. Never used before so it was fresh start for the both. The trio got a newly built cage for the three there second night.With the trio I tried them in a bonding cage for the day to see how it went. I made sure how it went well. Than that night a small cage to see that it was all good. Than they moved in. I did not bother to wipe it down I just used NIC from both cages.
How long after they are moved in can you start to relax and become pretty sure that they won't break into a fight? Or is it just something that can happen out of the blue?
I would say I feel secure after a week or so. I think you just need to be aware there may still be some nipping and what not sorting the pecking order. Yes it can happen out of the blue.
Do you ever get any jealousy issues with 2 of the buns and the other one left out and gets upset? Or do they sort of just spread the love around?
I have not yet but it is something that may come up as I add others. Or should I say attempt. They do tend to spread the love.
Have you noticed anything different during bonding with a pair than a trio?
Yes but only in good ways. Before it was Teresa that did ALL the grooming now Dallas partakes ALOT!
I noticed Michelle NZminilopsbrought up a point about a big/small bunnies and bonding.. I'm worried also because there's a huge difference between Bruno and especially Poppy, 7-8lbs around. Do I just have to hope he doesn't bother mounting them too much?
It all depend it could be some mounting and possibly once and thats it. Dallas weighs 4lbs and Teresa 2lbs did not seem to bother her at all. By the time Bruno meets his full weight the mounting should have stopped. Also itis not cause just by hormones.
Did you encounter any food issues with bonding a trio?
YES! Teresa and Connor combined weigh 5lbs! Dallas weighs 4lbs. I was feeding 1/4 cup of pellets each but one was having extra cecals after alot of test. Separating during feeding time. Feeding one and not the others. Feeding some more and othersless.We found it was Dallas. Not only did the regular 1/4 cup upset his tummy he was eating more because they didn't eat that much. So now he gets 1/8 alone and they share 1/4. Problem solved.
I know I'll think of more later, but that's a start :D

[align=center]Where does Wyatt belong?[/align]

Rob (my husband) and I have discussed it so many times my head is spinning. When he is neutered we will see how it goes. Though we are leaning towards the trio.

I know are decision may sound weird since Elvis is solo but so much goes into it.

[align=center]1) Elvis's pen is not big enough for two. We like our guys to have tons of room.[/align]

[align=center]
2) Elvis tends to do ok when apart but with no barriers goes nuts.[/align]

[align=center]
3) Trio does not attack what so ever not even if one goes up to him.[/align]

[align=center]
4) We tried Dallas (troublemaker) with Wyatt and Dallas went over and started grooming him right away.[/align]

[align=center]
5) We find Dallas and Wyatt laying side by side all the time. [/align]

[align=center]
6) A silly reason Dallas and Wyatt look so cute together.
[/align]

[align=center]7)Trio looks for Wyatt more than Elvis.
[/align]

[align=center]8) Elvis and my dog seemed to have bonded.[/align]

I rack my brain going over it all even though I won't know anything for sure till Wyatt gets snipped.None of this means we give up on Elvis joining them.

Dallas and Wyatt

100_9198.jpg

100_9199.jpg

100_9200.jpg

100_9201.jpg

100_9256.jpg

100_9257.jpg

100_9258.jpg

100_9259.jpg

100_9255.jpg

Elvis and Wyatt

100_9228.jpg

100_9225.jpg

100_9224.jpg

100_9223.jpg

100_9222.jpg

-----------------------
To be continued.

Ok, I have another question..

This was my third bonding time, and Bruno's really started to chase who ever will run to mount them.. do you allow this or not? The one being chased isn't showing any aggression, is just running.. and will dart when he starts mounting them.. I usually just sit in between them and then he looses interest and goes off to the next girl to mount her head (what a gentleman.

Spring wrote:
Ok, I have another question..

This was my third bonding time, and Bruno's really started to chase who ever will run to mount them.. do you allow this or not? The one being chased isn't showing any aggression, is just running.. and will dart when he starts mounting them.. I usually just sit in between them and then he looses interest and goes off to the next girl to mount her head (what a gentleman.
I would allowthe chasingas long as no one is getting upset. You can not expect no chasing it is in them to try and claim dominance. Mounting I have been told to allow it for just a second or two but not for morethan 15seconds.

[align=center]Connor and Elvis: My Dueling Boys...[/align]
When Connor was first neutered things looked as if they would bond. I had hope that my two baby boys would bond. I had hope that my two boys would bond. Honestly I would have loved that. Connor has my heart and Elvis is a close second.

Through bars it seemed to go well. One day we thought we would try all four. It started Teresa and Connor who we knew got along well before. Instant friendship there once again. Than Dallas...again went well. Ok so we are now trying Elvis...I hold Connor firmly...Rob puts Elvis (my nice sweet boy) on the bed and....Elvis lunges at Connor. I do the only thing I can I cover Connor with my hands. Ouch I loose a chunk.

Looking back I think a big mistake was putting Connor first. I think Elvis felt as if Connor was invading his "warren" though he had not been fully accepted yet.

Since than Dallas tends to herd Teresa and Connor away if Elvis is to close and Connor gets scared yet aggressive towards Elvis.

Connor is one we have noticed that he does NOT forget things. It's so sad because since than it seems Elvis wants to make amends.

We have a few ideas on how to try and deal with this.

[align=center]1) On one side the hallway with the gate up Rob holding one bun petting and treats. Me on the other doing the same and than switch off.[/align]

[align=center]2) The old smaller cages back to back with alittle space starting with 5mins going up to 30 mins.[/align]

[align=center]3) Putting the trio in Elvis's cage let them get used to his scent.[/align]

[align=center]4) Drive to my moms(30mins) house carriers facing each other than on the drive back switch there carriers.[/align]

[align=center]5) Carriers facing each other during any cage cleaning. [/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]P.S. End with a nice salad or some kind of treat in their pen so the associate all of it with something nice.[/align]
Connor

100_9148.jpg

100_9307.jpg

100_9336.jpg

100_9337.jpg

100_9338.jpg

100_9339.jpg

100_9340.jpg

100_9341.jpg

100_9342.jpg

Elvis

100_9316.jpg

100_9317.jpg

100_9321.jpg

100_9322.jpg

100_9323.jpg

100_9324.jpg

100_9328.jpg

100_9327.jpg

100_9330.jpg

100_9335.jpg

--------------------------
To Be Continued...

Another awesome entry into the blog. This thing is going to be a godsend for me when I have to start bonding with my little indoor brats.

I like the idea of Wyatt with the trio. He seems to 'fit'. Teresa is going to have 3 boys all to herself!

I loved the NIC bonding pen you made, I think it's a great idea. Do you still use that idea much?

Thanks so much for answering my questions :hug:. I printed out the questions and answers to keep in my rabbit information folder.

Latest posts

Back