Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2011

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Year

Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2010Well this year we hoped for a better one and no it sucked to high heaven. We lost our family dog Britt in May that same month a little happiness when Isa joined us(leopard gecko). In June Calypso a flemish I feel in love with while caring for passed away. In July we lost Montana in less than a year of her being with us but we also added two viper geckos Madison and Quinn. WhenI Thought things couldn'tget worse we lost Dallas, that almost broke me. Soa few days later trying to cheer me up we added anAFT, Harlequin Jinx. Than October comes and we lose another family dog to what we believe was a deliberate poisoning. Through this entire time we had been struggling with Harli and in the end we lost her in Dec. Yea so that year sucked to high heaven. Thank Godit is over.

Previous Blogs:
Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2006We joined in late august and lots had already happened. Ringo had his first bout of head-tilt. Teresa was spayed and got a new boyfriend. Dallas joined our family.

Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2007 Part 1Lot's happened we started fostering. Connor was neutered and moved in with Teresa and Dallas. Elvis and Wyatt joined our family but one of the biggest losses happened. We lost our sweet diva Samantha Jane.

Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2007 Part 2Our first two guinea pigs Samuel Elijah and Logan Jake joined us a few months later Mason Alexander and Kingsley Merlin joined us.. They brought us joy when we were suffering and now we grieve for them as well. I started working again. Chibi came just after Christmas...

Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2008 It was obvious that Chibi had found his home with us. We ended up seperating Teresa from the boys and Chibi joined them instead. Apple joined our family traveling from Ohio to CT.Wewere nervous wrecks waiting as things developed. We also lost our guinea pig Mason Alexander.

Alicia and the Zoo Crew 2009 So many changes we started fostering againafter a short break. Elvis and Teresa moved in making a happy couple. Montana became part of our family. Gabriel became our first sanctuary bunny. We also lost the last of our piggies. Logan Jake, Samuel Elijah, and Kingsley Merlin.

:) hello,Ali. I'll be looking forward to see all your lovely crews ;)
Isa and Jax are bigger, huh ? :) I wonder how much different they look now compare to when you first got them :) hehe.

167471_10150129204491617_764921616_7658520_2292925_n.jpg

167851_10150129205116617_764921616_7658543_3318886_n.jpg

:) cute little pair of shoes :) hehe. I envy you that you can hang some decorations on your bunnies' cage. I tried many times, but ended up taking it out before my girl succeed trying to eat them :D lol. By the way, How big Jax can be ? Will he get bigger ?

Reposting from May

Treasure Your Animals

Right now I am grieving on so many scales. I feel like I am wrapped up in it. How do I get out?

Part of me feels bad because I feel like I should be grieving for Sam and while I miss her the grief isn't for her. It is for my boys, and knowing that I will lose Brit.

I got my boys in large part because of my friend Amy. She got Merlin and Mace, they belonged to her but oh my god I fell in love. I had always wanted a guinea pig but seeing Merlin my heart sang and I wanted guinea pigs so bad. When the chance came up for my first two boys Skunk Boy and Peanut Butter Cup (nicknames) I jumped it just had to work.

Than I lost Sam just before they were to get here. Oh god did I hurt but I just kept making plans for my boys. They got me through even when I just wanted to curl up and die. I named them to honor Sam. Samuel Elijah and Logan Jake.

Some how things came about and Amy had to rehome her two boys. I won't go into details but it was such a rough time and lots of things happened but I got my boys. I got my Merlin that had stolen my heart before I met him. He had a lot of issues and I knew he was my miracle piggy. He was my little man. So special so unique. Don't get me wrong I loved all four of my boys but Merlin was my baby.

The first year since I lost Sam came but I made it through planning for the boys gotcha day. I had them to feel joy for and some how Apple made her way to us and helped us celebrate.

I fought so hard to get Merlin to make it that I was in shock when Mace got sick and in less than 24hrs I lost him. How could that happen he was the hulk of guinea pig world. I lost my big boy, my husband lost his friend. He didn't make it a year but he made into our hearts and will never leave there.

The second year came and I made a project in Sams memory that helped me heal. I did so much better than most thought.

The first anniversary of Maces death was hard but I was bound and determined that I would celebrate the joys of having the rest of my crew here with us alive and healthy. I celebrated Apples birthday, I made plans to celebrate Connors bday and Dallas's gotcha that Monday afternoon. I woke up that morning and Elijah was gone. I doubled over in pain. How? Why? No time to grieve because we could see we were losing Logan. His heart was broken and he took his last breath in my arms as I cried no over and over. Within hours I could tell that Merlin was having another round of his problems. I fought so hard to keep him alive. To keep him with us but no he to left us just a few days after his second gotcha. In one week I lost the all my guinea pigs. It hurt to lose them because there was so much wrapped up in them. I thank God that when I had the chance to meet Amy I brought Merlin to see her because some how I knew that if I didn't she wouldn't get the chance to see him again.

Now it should be three years of them being with us but that didn't happen so instead of grieving for Sam I grieve because even though my boys should be with me they are not.

Now as the days draw closer to a day that should bring so much joy I am grieving for a loss yet to come. Yes Brit is here and I have told myself for months that every day is a gift. She is past the life expectancy for her breed by several years. Yes I have the knowledge that our time is numbered but some how that feels harder. I know that it may be the last time she curls up in my lap and rubs her face into me. It may be the last time I call her BritBrit and she nuzzles my face. She has been such an amazing dog. For 15 years she blessed our family. She lived through a lot of painful losses. Lady, Sandy, Cocomo, Princess, and she also joined us because of a loss, my sweet innocent Molly Marie. Brit has lived with us through losses of so many dogs and now we are losing her. How can we let her go? Yes we will do right by her even when it breaks all of our hearts.

So I cry, and I grieve. I have said so many times to so many people yes this is painful, yes yet again my heart breaks but in the end the joy that each one of my animals brings me is 10x worth the pain that the losses bring.

So love and value the animals in our life because while we may have long to live they only bless our lives for a short time.

So I have such a huge project in mind for this year. A year in the life of our family. Every moment. Random shots, trips, gotchas, b-days etc. I will stick to it. So every month I will make a point of getting pictures of EVERYONE. I have already started and still have a lot of work for this month. :biggrin2:

Also yesterday was Ringos 6th bday. We took pictures and had some one on one time with him. Well more like one on one on one. Rob, Ringo and me.

A note I posted on facebook.

Start to a New Year

So I got the lights off the tree and have it down.Now to finish packing up thechristmas stuff.So need to get this place back in shape. I am in themind set that this year will be better. We may have losses but last year proved while painful we CAN and WILL survive. We are strong and can do anything together. With the help and support of family, friends and God how can we not?

Two different co-workers want to bring the kids over. One has been here before and the girl child loves the fluffy animals. The boy child loves the reptiles. The other coworker (who is becoming a great friend to me and Rob) has two little girls. This would be the first time they meet our zoo.

Now I know many people don't like kids and I take this as a chance to teach a child about animals. I teach them to respect what that animal needs. I have a safe zone for the kids to interact with the animals. I also know certain animals are better suited to certain situtions. It is also a good way for me to see how my foster would be with children.

We bought a piggy bank where we have started to put money for our trip in the fall. We are both giddy and can't wait.

We are a family who survived a horrible year and will thrive in a new one.

Love to all my family and friends. May this year be better than last.

164112_10150136730551617_764921616_7806458_7386451_n.jpg

162834_10150136690321617_764921616_7805745_4315719_n.jpg

Ms. Piggy Sue! lol. She's cute.

That's great you take the time to teach the kids how to treat animals right. It seems like a lesson that some parents don't really concentrate on even though it can be such an important one.

My niece and nephew came over at Thanksgiving time for the first time. I was surprised at how good they were with all the animals. I was worried that Bella, who is just 4 might accidentally hurt someone. I sat on the floor with them and the rules were that they couldn't pick anyone up or chase them. It went great! I gave the kids little treats to bribe the animals within petting distance. Everyone had a great time. I think kids can have wonderful interactions with our little ones as long as they know the "rules". It gives them a positive experience that they will always have, perhaps helping them to be responsible pet owners when they are older.

Yea that is why I do it. My god-daughter has stayed over and turned out awesome with the bunnies. Went to take a shower when I came back she watered everyone because we were heading out for the day.

They ask the right questions. The ones the parents don't think to ask.

Great start to your blog Ali. Sorry about all your losses last year.

FYI I do read your blog I just didn't comment. I will make a better effort this year to comment.

Susan:)

Back