After spaying operation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweetie :
:) I am more relief that I'm not the only momma who is worried sick about baby bun :D Thank you so much for reading. I've been coaxing her every couple hours. We just got back from taking a shot of pain-killer with the vet. He said the wound is a bit red but not serious. He gave her Antibiotic and pain-killer. Kimiko will have injection for pain meds for 3 days more. The vet prefers us to take her to him for shots more than giving us pills to take home. He wants to keep checking on her wound and health. I hope tomorrow her appetite will increase.

the pain meds are prob making her not wanna eat alot..not a big deal...something is going in and something is coming out right?..the left behind night dropping is prob cause shes all drugged up and forgot ..is it the only one you found?..they get some lose potties from medications too..not sure what kind of pain meds shes getting..but that could do it..if shes used to parsley in her diet then id feed her as much as she wants of it...u want to keep everything moving ..the prob is when she stops..shoot if my buns wouldnt eat anything but a cheese pizza ..then id have Dominoes on speed dial....kidding..but u get my drift...the minor prob u get from feeding them too much of something is wayyy better then the prob of their gut stopping...just my opinion.hugs and more hugs

Dear Lisa,
I asked our vet about it and he said the Antibiotics he gave her is good for healing but in the same time it decreases her appetite. He didn't agree on force feeding her now too. He said let her rest and try to persuade her to eat and drink as much as she can. As long as she can eat even a bit, it's fine. I don't know what type and how much pain meds she gets, I will ask the vet tonight. Thank you so much :hearts

I think getting a shot (even if it's for pain med) is probably quite an experience in itself - I got Peaches's meds by syringe (metacam) and he took them quite willingly - however, maybe the pain meds are different for the girls.

I force fed by boy one dose of critical care - had to hold him down quite hard - since then, I can't pick him up without him struggling to get free - he used to let himself be picked up super easily - I wish I had waited to force feed him since he was nibbling a bit - could have saved both of us the pain (If I'd only known)

tweetiepy, I asked the vet and he suggested to have her shot for pain medicine. Plus he wants to keep checking on her wound in case there'll be red or swell. He said she will get shot for 3 days more. I'm glad that she's willing to eat on her own and from my offer sometimes. I really don't want to force feed her if it's not that necessary. Picking up won't be our problem since before operation she didn't like being held. I'm only concerned about scaring her of and making her more stress. Daily trip to vet is quite stressful already. I just hope that today and so on there will be no queue in the clinic and we will just take a quick trip to there then home.

Today is third day after operation. Kimiko is getting better a bit by a bit. Last night we went to clinic for Antibiotics and pain med. The vet suggested me that we can stop giving her a shot of pain killer. Since she could eat on her own and the amount of diet she ate gradually increases. The decision is on me. I'd like to ask people on RO. What do you think ? Should we stop giving her pain med ? Today she eats more than yesterday and drinks on her own ( I don't have to offer her by spoon any more :) ). How long we should give our bunnies pain med ? Thank you so much for your time. :)

my bunny Willow was just spayed yesterday and her vet did not send us home with ANY pain meds or antibiotics. she seems to be ok but still has not eaten or drank much. she seems to prefer to hide under tables and chairs and just rest. so i have been letting her do what comes natural to her. i have noticed her licking at her incision site but she does't seem to be chewing or biting at it. i worry about her too:sickbunny:

Oh, with your care and love she will recover soon. Kimiko didn't eat much on the next day after operation too. Did she get a shot of pain med on the surgery day ? As many people here told me, as long as your bunny still eats and drink a bit, she will be fine. We just need to closely observe her and coax her to eat/drink. I'll be thinking of you both. :pray: Willow will be fine. :)

Bunny parents wrote:
Today is third day after operation. Kimiko is getting better a bit by a bit. Last night we went to clinic for Antibiotics and pain med. The vet suggested me that we can stop giving her a shot of pain killer. Since she could eat on her own and the amount of diet she ate gradually increases. The decision is on me. I'd like to ask people on RO. What do you think ? Should we stop giving her pain med ? Today she eats more than yesterday and drinks on her own ( I don't have to offer her by spoon any more :) ). How long we should give our bunnies pain med ? Thank you so much for your time. :)
I think that you can stop taking her for the injections now :); she seems to be recovering well.

Angieluv :
But without pain med, will she eat ? My hubby wants to stop giving her a shot of pain med as well. We need to go for Antibiotics, today and tomorrow..then that's it. So today only Antibiotics. We'll see how she will feel tomorrow. I'll let you know. :) Thank you so much for the advice. :bunny24

id stop the pain meds..u cant really stop the antibiotics cuz they gotta run their course cuz u dont want her to become immuned to to them...Vircia if u dont get our girl off them soon shes gonna turn into a junky
thshok.gif
.hehe kidding...

lol :D Lisa, you're funny. We just got back from visiting the vet. So our girl got only Antibiotics, no more pain med. Let's see how she feels today and tomorrow. I'll let you know.

ajujub793 wrote:
my bunny Willow was just spayed yesterday and her vet did not send us home with ANY pain meds or antibiotics. she seems to be ok but still has not eaten or drank much. she seems to prefer to hide under tables and chairs and just rest. so i have been letting her do what comes natural to her. i have noticed her licking at her incision site but she does't seem to be chewing or biting at it. i worry about her too:sickbunny:

Some of the vets here do not give pain meds after spays. The surgeries are done by laser and the incision site is dissovable stitches and/or surgical glue. The buns do OK but it is still ideal to give them pain meds after surgery; recovery could be sooner. most vets do give a pain injection the day of the surgery.

you might want to call your vet and ask for pain meds.

Why don't you start a brand new thread about your bunny here in the Infirmary? then it won't get mixed up with the discussion of the other bun :)

Bunny parents: that is great your bunny is doing wonderful! Yes, keep coaxing her to eat and drink more and more each day until she is eating totally on her own.

Jujub793: like angieluv said, I would get pain meds for your female rabbit. Recovery goes much more smoothly with pain meds. Some rabbits can handle the pain while others cannot. I haven't met any female rabbit that can take the pain from a spay. But my male netherland dwarf can take pain, he was neutered when he was 4 months and wasn't given pain meds to go home with. My female cannot handle pain. Like I said, some rabbits can deal with the pain others cannot and I haven't met any female rabbit that can deal with pain after a spay surgery!

Sweetie :
Thank you so much for checking on us. With all your help and many people on RO have helped me and my little girl. Now she's better and better everyday. Last night she didn't get pain med, only Antibiotics and I must say she's look more lively and more active today, even raced and binkied this morning ! :D Even though after healing time, I need to go on " Tough love " with her again because right now she prefers eating only greens and hay,no pellets :X and also the water, she drinks only the one I mixed juice in it, but I'm glad she eats on her own and hopefully she will be fully healthy soon. Thank you again :)

That is good :)
eating a SMALL amount of pellets and lot of hay, moderate amount of greens is the ideal rabbit diet.

if she prefers hay and greens and has normal poops ..you don't have to change that..

angieluv :
Her droppings are hard and black but they're not that round shape like before. She's a bit thinner than before. I'll weigh her at the clinic tonight, hope she didn't lose so much. Thank you so much for helping me :) I'll observe her more, if her droppings will be normal and she prefers greens more than pellets. I'll do what you suggest me to. :)

her poop is gonna look alittle strange..her diet has been screwed up...after awhile when a bun eats mostly hay and veggies their poops are wayy lighter in color..from all the hay intake....
when i over feed my buns pellets their poops are very black..but when i cut them back they are fibery and a little lighter ..ive seen bunnies at the rescue that only pooped the color of the hay a tan color ..thats how light it was.

Hmmm, strange. Kimiko has eaten only a few of pellets, but her droppings are quite black and the size is still not the same as usual... How come ? It means that she ate too much pellets ? She's not even eaten more than 1/4 cup per day,much much less than that ! What should I do ?

Latest posts

Back