After spaying operation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny parents

Reaction score
Hello,
I just have my girl spayed today. Her operation finished around 10.30 AM. Now it's 14.15 PM, about 3 hrs after the surgery. She still didn't eat or drink anything yet. I have prepared her favourites greens, treats and I tried offering them to her couple times. She is still half awake, but did start moving around. The vet gave her pain-med injection. By the time we arrived at the clinic he was off already and another vet was with her. She said the operation went well and we need to bring her to the clinic for another dose of pain-med ( another injection) tonight after 21.00 PM and also tomorrow after 21.00 PM. When we will go tonight, should I ask for pain - killer to bring back home ?
I'm wondering how soon she should start eating after surgery. It's been couple hrs after surgery and she still didn't want to drink or eat. What should I do ? :( I'm so worried.
Thank you so much for your time.
Vircia.

my females didnt eat till the next day..give her a little time..if ur getting pain injections regularly ur prob getting enough in her...ive never had a vet tell me to come back in for pain injections...so thats why we ask to take pain meds home with us..
just let her rest for awhile and leave fresh veggies in her cage next to her so she can grab them and munch without having to get up...
i had Tator tot neutered yesterday and he ate right when he got home..but its not as invasive as the females surgery...all my females didnt eat till the next day..

:) hehe thanks, Lisa. You know me too well. :baghead I just ran to a small shop buying her banana. I have all food she likes and already put some parsley, mashed banana, water with drops of juice in it and some hay in the area I let her rest now. Well, she's not sleeping now. She's sitting.:expressionless The clinic is like 8 minutes driving from our place. I guess the vet wants to keep checking up on her. That's why he told us to go for doses everyday after 21.00 PM. I hope she has enough in her too. I'll ask him, I didn't meet him when I went to pick Kimiko up.Thank you so much again. Wow ! Male bunnies are that quick recovering ?? That's so good. Pls give tons of kisses from me to your lovely Tator tot.
:bunnyhug:

my tator tot is just sitting staring into space right now too..:)...he did so well on the drive to the vet ..my other buns are traumatized just from the car ride..but he was like..."lets roll"..hehe...maybe he will be my only bun that likes to go places with me..that would be kinda kewl..:)..
..isnt it night time there now?....u telling us that its 21.00 is jibberish..i have no idea what time that is.:):).

it's 15.30 PM right now. I don't know how many hours difference. Kimiko is staring into space too. She did okay in the car as well. My hubby read this thread. He said " clinic is only 3 minutes driving from our home ". I told him " Nope, it's 8 minutes. We have 2 rounds on the road to the clinic. So you need to spend 2 minutes on each ! That's an order ! ". :nasty: I think he wants to kill me so badly right now. Hahaha. After I've been worried sick about our girl and I keep making him nervous ! :D lol

I was told that as long as they eat a bit they're stomach will get back to normal soon enough. Even if they nibble a tiny bit.

The sedative might make her super groggy too. Wishing her the best. I had my boy done, I think it's easier on the boys

ive tried pellets before...i dont recommend them...:).
....sorry Vircia for my delayed comment...my boyfriend cant seem to find anything in this house....altho he lives here hes oblivious to where the towels are today...tomorrow it will prob be the utensils...

we've had 17 females and 10 males neutered. Some were off their feed for almost a day and others went on like nothing had happened. The only real problem we ever had is that one took out almost all of her stitches and we had to take her back and they used staples. Could not keep her in a collar either.

Nancy McClelland :
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm scared that she will bite her stitches off too. Now she's not doing anything only sitting in her litter box. I hope she will recover soon. Thanks again. :)

It is good that your vets are giving pain meds; many vets don't give it.

It is very normal for the bun to be lethargic and inappetent for a few days after surgery .
Iused to bring the newly spayed female buns home (from the shelter) to recover in my home.
I usually get some pedialyte and give them small amounts with a syringe just to keep them hydrated;I also usually offer fresh greens like parlsey ; many buns will not touch anything the first day or so but I have found that on the 3rd day that they seem to spring back.
You want to keep her comfortable and warm enough and even provide her with small amounts of really tasty foods ..even a little alfalfa hay

if you keep her hydrated with small amounts of the electrolyte drink the first few days you don't have to worry about the eating. usually it may take a few days for the pooping to become normal also.

You also will need to check the incision for unusual redness and puffiness but not the 1st day.

Iam sure that she will be fine. :)

Angieluv :
Thank you so much for your advice. :) Kimiko started eating a bit at midnight last night. She took some pieces of parsley we offered her by hands. Then again this morning, around 09.30 AM, I gave her parsley and she ate it a bit more than last night. :) I'm so glad she starts eating. Just now while I'm writing here, she goes to her litter box and nibbled a bit hay. I can see she poops and pees, a bit pees ( She drank very little ) and her droppings are normal, hard and round. I hope this is a good sign that she's recovering. The vet suggested us to spare some baby food, such as Gerber. Last night it was too late to buy. If she starts eating even a bit. do I still need to buy some Gerber just in case ? Thank you everyone so much for advices and thank you for sharing your experiences. You guys really help us a lot. I really appreciate that. God bless you all.:big kiss:

Okay, another update on my girl. She ate an amount, half handful, of parsley and drank a bit ( water mixed with juice ). She had soft stool a bit and I can also see normal droppings as well but not much. She went back to her cage and right now she's laying down there. I still didn't go out for buying Gerber :( I'm home alone and too scared to leave her alone at home. Should I go get some baby food ? Do I have to feed her critical care ? Thank you so much for your time.

You may be feeding her too much parsley which will cause soft stool. it is OK to give her some pellets

I would just make sure that sheis comfortable and as long as she is eating a little and drinking water I don't think you need to syringe food.
what you are describing so far is normal

angieluv :
I gave her pellets but she didn't want to eat even one. :( I've tried many things, even her favourite treats, but so far she prefers to eat parsley. Now and then she nibbles some dandelion leaves, just a few, and sipped water a bit. Thank you for your reply again. I hope I'm doing right for her. :(

My rabbit Sweetie would not eat until we got home when I had her spayed. Keep your bunny hydrated and keep coaxing her to eat and drink.

I had to coax Sweetie to at least drink after her surgery and she did on the way home. I was as worried as you are. Just keep coaxing her to drink, hydration is very important, she will eat more when she feels better.

Sweetie was spayed back in January of this year. She was 1 year and 3 months. I was a nervous wreck until I got her home with me. She is my heart bunny.

Latest posts

Back