Adventures in Coexisting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always throw in the bun's blanket in the carrier with them. Also I pack treats, greens and a little pellet. Shades normally won't touch anything b/c she's nervous but Baci just started relaxing in the carrier and will eat his greens and a craisin in the car. We also talk and sing to them so they hear our voices.

Ok, I'm looking for a new vet also so perhaps we should just all make a date and take all our buns together! :)

Ok, so our visit went uncharacteristically well! Dr. Stanzione was fantastic with Chloe, he asked me about how I was feeding her, approved of her food (zupreem) and greens, and even complimented me on how beautiful she is! He had me hold her so that he could check her teeth and she started to get fidgety so he got a vet tech to hold her so that I wouldn't get scratched. He clipped a few of her nails and said they actually looked really good. He even checked to see if she had spay scars because she's always been so well behaved. (her shaved patch on her belly looks so funny! Her fur is so thick on her belly that when she sits up it looks like there's just a chunk of bunny missing. XD)
Dr. Stanzione was also really thorough when discussing her spay. This was after we'd already discussed her food, the size of her cage, and her being litter trained, so he said "I'm sure you've already researched all the pros and cons" and spoke to me like I knew what he was talking about, which was much appreciated. He also said that he likes bunnies to come in early the day of surgery so they can relax a little before the procedure. They eat right up to the surgery so I would be able to leave a bag of her hay for her, and she'd go home with me as soon as she was ready, no overnight, because he feels they heal quicker in a familiar environment, which I agree with.
Overall, Dr. Stanzione was awesome! He told me he's done thousands of bunny spays/neuters, he complimented me on her and even said I was doing a great job!

On the subject of Chloe, she's lost weight since I've had her! I weighed her once when I first got her and she was nine pounds, but apparently alot of that was fluff from the junky food she'd been eating. She's only sevenand a half pounds now!!! And he told me she definitely fits the description of Satins, and judging by her perfect, white little teeth, she's only two!!! And super healthy, so I'm going to be with her for a nice long time. I'm so glad I brought her to this vet! :D
:bunnyheart:yahoo:

So my reputation as a crazy bunny lady is growing by the day. Chloe's backyard pen has grown to it's final size (for now), and when it's totally unfolded it takes up about half the patio, so my neighbors instantly know whenever she's outside. XD Also, my neighbor's Lab mix, Simona, is totally on to me. The second I walk outside with Chloe in my arms she's at the fence demanding I bring her over to get her daily lick. Mo is not your average dog. I'm pretty sure if I left her and Chloe in a room together and came back after a couple of minutes, they'd be spooning, and Mona would be the little spoon. We like to joke that Mona thinks Chloe is her baby because they're both black.
Also, I went toy shopping! I got Chlo a nature ball, a broom bristle-ball, and a wicker hanging toy. She actually plays with the nature ball! She picks it up and boxes it away from her, I've even seen her binky while doing it a couple of times.
I got her an igloo too. This did not go as planned. >.< I got the largest size Petco carries, after carefully studying the opening and deciding she would fit. So I get home with it and excitedly put it in her cage for her to examine. Chloe starts sniffing around it, pokes her head inside, seems a little confused about it, quite frankly. So I lift the front up enough for her to realize that the inside was big enough to sit in. She seems appreciative, and hops right in to explore. And I make the cruel, cruel mommy-mistake of dropping it down so she could hang out. Chloe FLIPS OUT, tries to turn around, can't because I've dramatically underestimated chloe's size, and starts sprinting, unable to see where she's going because of the igloo firmly lodged over my bunny's butt. I'm still squatting in front of her cage, and she sprints directly into my precariously balanced ankles. I go over like a bag of rocks, and Chloe runs up my body. The igloo, with it's sharp little corners, manages to catch on something finally and Chloe runs free. What did the igloo catch on? My ear. >.<
Other than this little escapade, our week has been pretty low key. The offending igloo was immediately removed, of course. Chloe has also been more interested in climbing up on me and cuddling. :) I'll get a lick someday.

Glad the vet visit went well. I did call Dr. Stanzione, most likely he'll be mynew vet. Not happy with the distance but at least I know the buns will be in good hands. Sounds like he has alot of good reviews.

Today, RO community......today is a momentous occasion indeed. Why, you ask?

:hugsquish::inlove::toast::yahoo::clapping::weee::sunshine::bunny18:hugsquish::hugsquish::hugsquish::hugsquish::hugsquish::hugsquish::hugsquish:
CHLOE LICKED ME FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!!!
Of course, my crazy bunny lady reaction was to gasp ever so gently so as not to startle her, and submit completely by performing a DBF myself so that she could sniff my face all over and paw my cheeks, which she seems to enjoy. XD I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy! I knew that the vet visit had changed our relationship and that she was definitely more bonded to me than before, but I wasn't expecting a lick less than a week later!

I do adore that silly little bunny....

On another note, I spend a lot of time with her. In fact, I spend at least an hour a day on the floor in her cage with her just cuddling. (I have a lot of time on my hands.) I really don't watch television much at all, so I'm usually listening to music. One of MY favorite types of music to listen to is Ska. I don't know if anyone knows what that is, because apparently most people think it died in the nineties, but it has a lot of funky rhythms and horns blasting and what sounds like slightly inebriated singing. So the other day while playing with Chloe and listening to a song by Bomb the Music Industry!, I turned the volume up a bit forgetting that about a minute in, the song reaches a crescendo where all the instruments kinda blare together slightly off key, and it gets much louder than the rest of the song. So I'm watching Chloe play with her ridiculous amount of toys, (at least six on her bottom floor at a time), and I notice that Chloe's ears seem to be twitching around in time to the music. The crescendo gets closer and I remember what song it was, but had no time to reach my speakers to turn the volume down so instead I kinda just froze and stared at her to see how she would react....
She sat up on her hind haunches, twitched her ears to the guitar, and when the song blared out, she jumped up and did a binky!!! So Chloe likes ska as much as I do. :D

I ordered hay online for the first time ever on Friday. I can't justify spending fifteen bucks on barely three pounds of low quality anymore. I ordered nine pounds of timothy hay, and two twenty ounce bags of meadow hay as a treat. My boyfriend is now pretty much certain that I'm insane, and that if we ever live together I'd likely give up my own bedroom to set up a free-roam bunny room for my princess. XD He's totally right, too. I've never been this excited about hay before.

Oh! And I took a picture of Chloe's adorable little shaved belly. Every time I see it I just have to give it a little smooch.
DSC03414.jpg
:)

Kitty88 wrote:
I ordered hay online for the first time ever on Friday. I can't justify spending fifteen bucks on barely three pounds of low quality anymore. I ordered nine pounds of timothy hay, and two twenty ounce bags of meadow hay as a treat. My boyfriend is now pretty much certain that I'm insane, and that if we ever live together I'd likely give up my own bedroom to set up a free-roam bunny room for my princess. XD He's totally right, too. I've never been this excited about hay before.
Hey, now that i"m reading this again... did you buy from Sweet Meadow Farms online?? I bought 14 lbs of hay from them too! I'm waiting for it to ship. I am waiting in great anticipation too LOL

I did order from Sweet Madow Farms! I have 9 pounds of timothy and two bags of meadow grass coming, I'm really excited about it! Chloe's always liked hay, I'm sure she's going to love to have some higher quality stuff to chow down on. She can eat hay like a little horse, especially since she decided the nice new big litterbox I got her was to be used mainly for storing and eating hay. :/

All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location
Bronx, NY May 25, 2010 8:35 AM: On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Because I know that those two lines are incredibly confusing, this means my shipment of hay is arriving today! I'm going to get my boyfriend to drive me up to Target a little later so I can get a plastic tub to store it in. I have a feeling this new hay is going to be better on my allergies, since it will be much fresher and hopefully have less dust, but it HAS to be in a container from now on. I can't handle waking up with nosebleeds anymore. Also, thanks to the FedEx website, I just came to the full realization that I ordered THIRTEEN pounds of hay, for ONE bunny. And Kirby's Helen ordered fifteen pounds of hay for THREE bunnies. Am I going to be using this hay for the next four or five years???

I have to go to the place the pets' go to get Chloe her Timothy pellets again, too. Anybody buy bunny toys here? I can't be the only one. Which chew toys do your buns prefer? Chloe's a huge fan of willow balls. In fact, I brought a willow ball with us to her check up figuring she wouldn't want to play but that it might be comforting, and she plopped right over on her side on the examination table and starting nomming.

Kitty88 wrote:
All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location
Bronx, NY May 25, 2010 8:35 AM: On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Because I know that those two lines are incredibly confusing, this means my shipment of hay is arriving today! I'm going to get my boyfriend to drive me up to Target a little later so I can get a plastic tub to store it in. I have a feeling this new hay is going to be better on my allergies, since it will be much fresher and hopefully have less dust, but it HAS to be in a container from now on. I can't handle waking up with nosebleeds anymore. Also, thanks to the FedEx website, I just came to the full realization that I ordered THIRTEEN pounds of hay, for ONE bunny. And Kirby's Helen ordered fifteen pounds of hay for THREE bunnies. Am I going to be using this hay for the next four or five years???

I have to go to the place the pets' go to get Chloe her Timothy pellets again, too. Anybody buy bunny toys here? I can't be the only one. Which chew toys do your buns prefer? Chloe's a huge fan of willow balls. In fact, I brought a willow ball with us to her check up figuring she wouldn't want to play but that it might be comforting, and she plopped right over on her side on the examination table and starting nomming.
That's fast shipping! I have always heard SM shipped fast and since we're not far from them it's even faster.

9-13 lbs of hay will last your bun maybe 1-3 months, depends on how much hay your bun eats daily. All three of my buns are chompers and they love nice fresh hay so they consume a lot more than a lot of buns. I forgot how much Kleenmama's Hay I bought last time but it was somewhere around 30 lbs and I've gone through over half of it in 1 month for 3 buns. I'm almost positive most of it was consumed by Penny lol

I only ordered 14 lbs this time because I've never fed SM hay before and I wanted to try before stocking up. I always try before I buy now because last time I bought 50 lbs of Oxbow hay, it was so dusty and horrible that it made my husband miserable for 5-6 months and the buns didn't even like Oxbow hay so it went even slower :(

I hope Chloe loves the new hay!! 1 giant rubbermaid should hold 9-13 lbs. snuggly.

The hay got here at about three yesterday, which means my thirteen pound shipment made it to its destination in about two and a half business days. Not bad, Sweet Meadows, not bad! I opened up the box this morning and realized that the big bale of timothy juuuuust barely fit into the big sterilite I got yesterday, so I pulled off a flake (or tried to, anyway, I'm not exactly familiar with dealing with hay bales) and put it into the smaller container I got. I'm going to keep the smaller one out for easy access all the time, and I'll just refill it from the larger one.

Quality wise, I'm very pleased! Up till now we've been using super crappy Kay-Tee hay from Petco, the hay resembled straw more than anything else and all the strands were oddly uniform. This hay, on the other hand, looks like it actually started out life looking like real grass. There are a couple of seed pods, a few marigolds. In other words, it's a million times better than what she's been getting. So I opened up the container of SM hay to let Chloe test it out and see if she liked it, and.....

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

She LOOOOOOOOVES it! I don't think I've ever seen her eat this much hay in one sitting! I'm totally not worried about having nine pounds of this hay now. XD I haven't even given her any of the meadow grass I bought because she's having such a good time with the timothy.

DSC03423.jpg

Hay hat. Lol.

I got my hay yesterday around the same time! I got it in less than 2 days cuz I ordered over the weekend. Impressive speed indeed. Before I unleash another box of hay on my allergic husband, I'm going to try to finish the Kleenmama hay which shouldn't take more than a week or two at the rate that Penny eats. The SM hay looks a bit paler than the hay I have been feeding but if the buns approve and the price is right, I can't complain.

I'm thinking Penny and Chloe might go through hay at the same rate now. She's transformed into a mini horse overnight! She even left a huge amount of pellets in her bowl yesterday, so this morning I took the hay out for a while and left her with her pellet bowl to make sure she actually ate them today.

I know I just stopped with the whole guinea pig thing, and I know that was for the best, since I've never had a piggy and I'm still getting used to having my first real house rabbit and everything, but finding out that Chloe is still so young makes me feel like maybe it's time to start thinking about looking for a bunny-mate for her. She still needs to be spayed first, at any rate, but I am a PetFinder devotee and I've marked several possibilities so far. (ha, several. I picked out enough 'potentials' to start a warren in my yard, who am I kidding)

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16440660
First off, we have Edwin, the Himalayan!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/14431446
Next is Bella Bunny, chosen for her personality description, but how funny would it be to have a black and white pair? They'd be so cute cuddling.....XD

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16348726
Cassidy could be a good potential match as well, even though I admit I never thought I'd see myself with a lop. I just love upright bunny ears. :D

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16323920
And Romeo is my last truly-being-considered bunnybuddy, and boy is he a looker.

But in reality, when it comes time to choosing a mate for Chloe, I'd prefer to let her have the final say, which is only fair. So I guess I'd be looking for a foster situation with a couple of different bunnies so Chloe could meet them and decide which she gets along with best?

I'm researching as much as I can about this now so that when we're ready, I'll be confident I'm doing the right thing for both bunnies. I don't want any problems, especially when it comes to my princess' happiness. xD

Kitty88 wrote:
But in reality, when it comes time to choosing a mate for Chloe, I'd prefer to let her have the final say, which is only fair. So I guess I'd be looking for a foster situation with a couple of different bunnies so Chloe could meet them and decide which she gets along with best?

I'm researching as much as I can about this now so that when we're ready, I'll be confident I'm doing the right thing for both bunnies. I don't want any problems, especially when it comes to my princess' happiness. xD
Yep, this is the way it should be :) Chloe should pick her bond mate, not her human ;) The last thing I'm sure you want is for 2 buns to not get along and you end up with 2 single buns and you're right back to where you started with Chloe having no bun friend.

Fostering is ideal, if you can convince a rescue to let you do that or if you have a relationship with them already. Speed dating is something else you could try. The NYC HRS chapter that I volunteer with conducts speed dating sessions for people's buns when they look to adopt a mate. For some reason we had a ton of girls for a while but now we have a pretty good choice of boys in the shelter too. Our turnover is pretty high, so by the time Chloe is spayed and works out her hormones (~4 weeks post-spay), we're probably looking at a lot of new rabbits at the shelter.

The shelter's website is kind of lousy and the pics aren't always great, but here are most of our rabbits right now.

Ahhhhhh! I was trying to remember which shelter you volunteered at, and it's the one Edwin and Romeo are at!!! Irony. XD

I think I'd like to add onto her cage so that I could fit two buns in separate digs, then do the speed date at the shelter. I guess my best bet would be to get my stuff in order and see if I can start volunteering over the summer , because I'd like to have a better relationship with them before bringing a new bun home. I'm already terrified of how I'd react to a bunny date going bad. All it would take is one swipe at my mama and I might resent the new bun.
The idea of volunteering at the shelter is sounding better and better. I've decided that when I go back to the school I'm going to be pursuing a vet tech degree, so on top of helping me to get my helping-animals fix, it'll look good to any programs I try getting into!

And this is really funny, but I THOUGHT Romeo looked familiar! Now that you pointed it out, its totally from seeing Baci on your avatar all the time, Hln917. XD

HAHAHA! I am so stupid. I didn't even click on your links to petfinder to realize that most of your selections are ACC rabbits. The names sounded vaguely familiar :p

Yeah, you should totally try to get involved. It's really good too because lately a lot of our regular volunteers have been going on vacation and stuff as the weather gets warmer, that we need backup! You should totally get involved :)

Latest posts

Back