Adventures in Coexisting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need advice!

Ok, in the past month and a half, Aiden has gotten his yearly vaccines, had his rabies booster, been neutered, and taken anti inflammatories and pain meds. All of this lead me to believe that the semiregular diarrhea he's been expieriencing latel were due to stress, but he hasn't been on anything in two weeks, his neuter was almost three weeks ago. He had an accident under the kitchen table today, and he looked so embarassed...

So I called his vet, who is also a family friend, and she's going to give us antibiotics to see if maybe he has an infection. It just ocurred to me that he could have a possibly serious infection from the surgery...

Anyway, the advice I was really looking for was, on the. Advice of my vet, I will be changing Aiden's food. He's currently on Health and Wellness, but it's looking more and more likely that this is the culprit. I would like to keep feeding him organic, or even holistic dog food. What do you feed your dog, if you have one? Anyone have advice for a beagle apparently develping a sensitive stomach?

Kirby, how did I not notice that you were from New York???

And I'm excited at the idea of a NYC shelter, but my boyfriend just calmly announced that I can't go to east Harlem by myself, apparently. :/
I'm sure he's exaggerating.

Scariest wake up ever? Uh, yeah, I'd say so.

Just woke up to find an empty cage. Sprinted through my house like a maniac, half awake in my underwear, going "Chloe, Chloe mama, come on out!" Found her stuffed behind the living room couch, NO IDEA how she got out. Guess who's going to the hardware store to find a way to completely secure her cage door later?

But seriously, I haven't been that panicky in a long time. Goodness. I'm so thankful she didn't get into anything bad, I can't stand the thought of anything happening to my princess.

Oh my, that sounds awful. What a scary thought. Thank god Chloe didn't so something thatd get herself hurt!!! I'd check the house and make sure nothing looks chewed in case she ate it, just in case.

Toby did that once. I forgot to lock his door. I just closed it without locking... The next morning I looked in all the usual hiding places and couldn't find him. Tears came to my eyes so fast that it even surprised me. My husband found him wedged on the other side of Kirby's cage. Apparently he decided it'd be fun to terrorize Kirby while I wasn't looking. Thank god the room was bunny proofed!

Kitty88 wrote:
Kirby, how did I not notice that you were from New York???

And I'm excited at the idea of a NYC shelter, but my boyfriend just calmly announced that I can't go to east Harlem by myself, apparently. :/
I'm sure he's exaggerating.

Well, he's right to be a bit concerned. It really isn't the nicest neighborhood on the island.. But it's 110th St so it's not so deep in. It's just past the upper east side lol I won't lie though - it would make me uncomfortable to go there alone after sunset. I make a point to go before that, and summer makes it much easier!

I used to attend Bronx Community College, and apparently it's located in the worst zipcde in the Bronx....I think I could handle solo day trips. XD

And yeah, I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat when I saw her cage empty! I was SO worried, I kinda surprised myself. I even hugged her a little too hard once I managed to find her and get her out from behind the couch. :D

AND, I must say, Toby sounds like quite the character! I don't know where I read it, but his antics during Milo's visit were hilarious.

Yeah that is a very scary way to start the morning! Glad she's ok. Like the "other" :biggrin2:Helen suggested, make sure you check all wires in the room and make sure she didn't eat anything.

Sebastian did that to us once, I thought myhusband's dogs got to him. He wasn't happy they were in the house so he broke out of his cage. Sure enough we found him sleeping on thecouch in our bedroom. He probably figured he'd be safer from the dogs outside of his cage. Smart rabbit!

Kitty88 wrote:
Even more ironic, in my opinion, is that I'm deathly allergic to cats if I'm around them for more than an hour.
Me too! But in my case also to dogs, yet try explaining to dogs and cats' owners why I can't go visit their homes b/c I will probably die from breathing problems. I don't havea problem with my rabbits as long as we're not closed in a room together. But if we have overnight visitors (which is rare) then I'll just keep my inhaler next to the bed.

Kitty88 wrote:
I used to attend Bronx Community College, and apparently it's located in the worst zipcde in the Bronx....I think I could handle solo day trips. XD

And yeah, I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat when I saw her cage empty! I was SO worried, I kinda surprised myself. I even hugged her a little too hard once I managed to find her and get her out from behind the couch. :D

AND, I must say, Toby sounds like quite the character! I don't know where I read it, but his antics during Milo's visit were hilarious.
lol - in that case...

Here's some info on the good work the group that I volunteer with has been doing. Apparently we rehomed some 900 rabbits last year! One of our key people was named NYer of the Week by NY1 news channel (last week).

http://www.ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-n...i--volunteer-keeps-bunny-rescue-hopping-along

You can email the address at the bottom of the article to contact them if you would like to see how to volunteer. ;)

Wow! Helping 3600 rabbits find new homes?? That's amazing!

It's funny, I'm starting to believe if we can get like one responsible rabbit owner per city block, the way we all give impromptu lessons on rabbit care, we might be able to turn New York City around into a rabbit savvy city! I know I can't stop telling people what a perfect pet Chloe is. A small, affectionate, oderless animal that can be litter trained...where could you go wrong??

The past few days have been busy ones in the world of Chloe and Kitty, I must say.

I work in a family owned Italian restaurant, and Mother's Day was the first real holiday I've worked through, and I did an eleven hour day....and it was so stressful I actually broke down in the bathroom before my shift ended. It was very rattling, but I did my job pretty well, if I say so myself, and I'll probably have a little more faith in myself from now on. At any rate, normal days will seem a whole lot easier!

Also, today my boyfriend, Matt, had to go in for a colonoscopy and endoscopy to screen him for Crohn's Disease. :/ This has been extremely stressful for him, and I really can't wait until we know what it is. I feel like knowing will be half the battle and once we have something definitive, he can stop worrying as much as he has been the past month or so.
On another non-Chloe note, I turned 22 yesterday. :)

On a distinctly Chloe note, I feel like Chloe may have turned 2 at some point in the past week. In case that was too vague....CHLOE HAS BEEN TERRIBLE!

She's been perfect with her litter habits for a month now. I know, I know, a month is nothing, but even before that, the entire time I've had her she's never once peed out of her cage....(wait for it) except for today! When she hopped out of her open door, looked me in the eye, and peed on my bedroom floor. No big deal, it's linoleum after all, but still!

Also, she's taken to ripping up her carpet! She hasn't touched it the whole time she's been in her cage. And she's ripping up the cardboard covering her level floors. I always meant to replace these with wood anyway, but I can't do it right now and there are holes in the corners of her floors! I don't know what's going on, I really don't.

I'd take her outside for some playtime to tire her out, but it's really too cold for that and it's been drizzling all day so even the area I usually have her out in under the canopy is too wet for her to play in. Ugh.

I have an appointment scheduled for next week with Dr. Stanzione. I'm starting to get the feeling that he's going to tell me that Chloe's a lot younger than I thought she was. Not that I thought she was old or anything...well, actually, I kinda did. She was so well behaved and calm I just assumed she had a few years of experience in her. Now I'm thinking that whoever had her first abandoned her once she reached her full size and they realized she wasn't a cute tiny little dwarf bunny.

Why DO people with no rabbit experience assume all bunnies are tiny fluffy little things? I have nothing against little bunnies, but sometimes I feel like they're so little I'd be afraid to pick them up and hold them for fear of accidently crushing them if they tried to wiggle out of my arms.

Anyway. I don't know what's going on with Chloe. Maybe she smells summer coming and she's going a little stir-crazy. No matter how young she was when I got her, she can't be in her teens now, because she's been with ME for almost a year. Bunny teens are over by this point, no?

On a beagle-y note, Aiden is currently on a round of antibiotics to get rid of any possible infection, and i'm in the process of switching him over to Nutro Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. Hopefully this will finally get rid of his three month long bout of diarrhea. :( Poor puppy.

ETA: I REALLY WANT A PIGGY. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that now is not the time to make an addition to my family, since basically I am a 'single parent' and primary caretaker of Aiden and Chloe.
I am also coming to the realization that small animals are way more up my alley than dogs. :( I love Aiden with all my heart, but after him.....any dog I live with will probably be mostly Matt's dog and the bunnies will be my pets.

OMG Chloe is so cute and I love the way you tell stories about her.

It sounds like Chloe is going through her teenage stage. I forget what age they are suppose to do it. But I feel for you. I have gone through the teenage stage with two of my rabbits and they ate everything!

Thanks! :D

And yeah....it seems that Chloe's new bad behavior is going to stick. I got her a new litterbox that she can actually fit in and tried to introduce it in the same spot as her old one....and she threw it down two levels. *sigh*

So did my boyfriend when I said I wanted a piggy this morning! I've seen him look at me like I was crazy many times, but the look of stunned incredulousness on his face this time shocked me. I almost thought he was gonna call a mental hospital then and there. XD

So Chloe has an appointment with Dr. Stanzione tomorrow. She must have heard me make the appointment too, because she promptly started molting her beatiful even coat just in time to look completely disheveled. :/

I'm going to have to get her some new toys today too, she managed to chew through everything she had.

Her backyard pen has been added to again. Now she has a twelve foot round pen attached to a kennel with nice little bars so she can escape from Aiden, who desperately tries to get her attention anytime she's out there. XD he's really not aggressive with her at all though, which is so comforting. They're NEVER alone though, obviously.

Also, I have decided I do not need a piggy in my life right now. Another bun though...that's never out of the question. XD

before I forget though, does anyone have advice about making the trip to the vet as stress free as possible?

Oooh you have to tell me how you like Dr. Stanzione. I heard he's the BEST! He's really far from me but I might start going to him for my buns since my own vet has been kind of iffy lately. If he's really good I might just go and make the far trip.

To minimize stress, you just gotta make the trip quick. Straight there, straight back. Give her some hay in her carrier so she has something to eat. Chances are she's going to dislike it anyways, but after a few hours being at home she'll chill out.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. She's pretty much the ultimate chill bunny anyway, I can take her anywhere with me and she'll just lie in her carrier. I think she'll be fine, I'm just nervous. XD

I'll be sure to make above thorough entry about the visit! He seems to get a lot of bunnies, from what the receptionist told me. I have high hopes.

Latest posts

Back