Adopted Another Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfritzp

Reaction score
I've put off posting this, as I amvery nervous after losing my last bun after only 3.5 weeks.Well, it's been 2 weeks now...
On Sept 10th I adopted 'Maggie' - a Harlquin who was rescued by theUpstate NY HRS from a horrific situation. They estimate her age to be 3or 4 years, and her foster mom told me 'she liked to jump'.
THAT is an understatement! This rabbit can clear a 4 foot gate from astanding position! God knows what she can clear with a running start!
But what a personality! Friendly, curious, loves to snuggle - and shehas turned my Holland Lop, Nick's world topsy turvey! He doesn't knowwhat to make of her - but I know he is in love!
So here is Maggie. It's not a great pic, and I promise to post a better one when I get the good camera out. She is beautiful!

i saw the rescue site was reccomending rabbitsbe kept in dog exersize pens not cages.my rabbits can jump out of thoseor they climb up them.i dont think its safe.bluebird

My buns are in a 'pen' that is quitespacious. The floor is wooden pallets that I covered with yoga pads, sothey are not directly on the floor. There is an open cage on one endwhere I attach their food/water dishes and a corner litter/hay box.That cage is carpeted. At the other end of the pen is a wooden 'palace'where they can sit inside, or run up a ramp to sit on the top.
My point in discribing the pen is, all my buns before this seemed tojust like their area, and didn't jump out - though they could have, Isuppose...
Maggie just rocked my compulsive world by having the nerve to jump outof the little rabbit heaven I provided for her! But - I'm learning todeal with it. She does jump back in to the pen to use the litter boxand eat.
I devised a 'Rabbit Containment System' - consisting of a mesh coverfor the pen. I put that on at night, because I am concerned that shemight hurt herself with nobody around. During the day, though, she doescome and go - and she's very happy doing it! I've rabbit proofed thearea she wanders in, so it's fairly safe. She usually just finds aplace to lay down anyway.
Pens do give them a bit more space and different places to sit. If theyare well furnished and rabbit-friendly, most normal bunswouldn't want to jump or climb out.
I remember when I had normal buns... :foreheadsmack:

Thank you! She is strikingly beautiful. Thispicture is not that good, but lets you see what her left side lookslike. On the left she looks like a perfect Harlequin! On the right shepractically all blond. She must have produced good looking buns though,because she was 'over-bred' according to the vet who did her spay.
She is really a joy and I am enjoying her antics! She is really acharacter, and you can just see the wheels turning in her head as shestudies an object before she jumps on it or over it.
Yesterday she was staring at a garbage can that is in her area. It hasa cover, but it is not attached, and is maybe 2 foot tall.
I hear a 'thump' and turn around - no Maggie in sight.
I walked over to the garbage can, and who is looking up at me from the bottomof it, as if to say "hey! How did this happen?!"
She had jumped on top of the can - with her ultimate goal to get on topof the cabinet that contains the FOOD - and the cover gave way and inshe went!
But she is fearless - she popped out and went back to her task of tormenting Nick.
It's been 3 weeks on Saturday since I adopted her - I will feel better after we've passed the month mark in a week!

Here's another - sorry for the quality, but I hope to have the GOOD camera working soon.
She is quite a love - and although she has twarted my attempts to'Save' the telephone wire about 10 times now (I have her now though - Iencased it in copper piping!!! She won't get through that - or willshe?...)
I love her deeply and she seems to know that!

Nick VERY happy. Sadly, I believe he is losinghis sight (had scars on his corneas when I adopted him - most likelyfrom a cat that mauled him before he was rescued) and Maggie is justthe best thing for him. She goes and 'gets' him when meals are servedif he is not already right there (his sence of smell is impeccable!)
They are very loving to each other. And Nicky still sems awed by her jumping ability and speed.
He has always been a bit of a clutz...
I have built them a wonderful new pen with the NIC panals - with rampsand cubby holes. A real 'bunny jungle gym'. I made parts of the rampsdifferent colors so Nicky could navigate them better. He knows thewhole lay-out now and happily moves from one favorite spot to another(in between long naps, of course).
Maggie is NOT able to jump out of this pen, but she seems to enjoy itso much, that now it's hard getting her out of it so I can clean! Shewants to inspect everything I do in 'Her House'!

Another shot of the pen - please note Maggiewondering why I was not feeding her a treat at that moment... Nick isin the hay/litterbox doing his thing

CONGRATULATIONS Maggie!! :star: You couldn't have found a better, more loving, caring, comfortable and fun home to live in.

This is just the beginning! We welcome you to our Family with love.When I read the title to this post, my heart skipped a beat inhappiness for the baby that landed sfritzp as a parent.

Sfritzp,

You've had 'normal rabbits'? What was it like??

:dunno:

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn - Well - I guess they weren't'normal' - just different personalities! Checkers, Nick, and even Tessfor the short time I had her :( seemed happy in the old penand never jumped out. Well - Checkers did the first night I had her,but she found that she couldn't get back in, (where the FOOD was) andshe never did it again.

The fact that Maggie would not be contained in it forced me to improvethe living quarters. And I'm delighted now with their new home. It'seasy to clean, gives them lots more space and exersize - and moreimportantly - they like it! When I'm cleaning now, the both of them arebinkying all around like they can't wait to get back in!

Of course - the fact that I feed them and give them the treat ofoatmeal after I am done cleaning, may have something to do with that...
:bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back