A little "bothered" by a photo of Fraggles with a vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don´t tell them, you´ll never be sure they won´t do it with some other poor bunny with serious consequences. Poor Fraggles looks so frightened and uncomfortable. Take the photo to show them and then show them the correct way to hold any rabbit if they are unfamiliar with them. I agree with Jennifer, handling our bunnies who are used to us lets us do things that we wouldn´t be able to do with other bunnies but we all know how we should pick up a bunny who doesn´t know us and isn´t used to being handled. She was very lucky Fraggles didn´t struggle.

Looks like a premedded bunny to me too. It's definitely common to take pictures of or with your especially cute patients. My school's policy is that we can take pictures with out patients but that we can't post pictures of any owned animals online without owner permission.
That said, I also have friends who are afraid to handle rabbits because they're so afraid of handling them wrong and breaking their backs. I'm not sure a picture of any staff member not properly supporting a rabbit would make a good advertisement.

I would be really aggravated if my bunny was held like this and especially in a pic of so -called animal professionals . An advertisement for me to take my rabbit elsewhere for care.

Knowing that they might like to use that photo in an ad or on facebook, would most definitely make me want to say something. If others see that photo (from a vet office) they will naturally assume that this is a perfectly acceptable way for a large bunny to be held.

In my opinion, to NOT say something in this instance would be almost irresponsible.
There's enough misinformation about rabbits out there.

Maybe you could tell them that you would be happy to let Fraggles' picture be taken but that you would like them to take a different one. Let them know that you want to be sure that the photo shows a proper bunny hold if it is going to be used for any advertising.

I would tell them in a nice way how to properly hold a bunny and that a large bunny cannot be held safely with only one hand. Serena is very placid and user friendly, but at 20 pounds, she cannot be picked and held with one hand--too much tonnage and length.

I've read that a rabbit can break their own spine if you don't support them correctly. I would be very upset by this too and I don't think your concerns are unfounded at all.

I never gave permission for her to be photographed like this and only found out after the fact. They asked if they could "use the photo of Fraggles" in the future for an ad or a facebook page.

I would very politely explain that you would prefer that they NOT use that particular photo, as you don't feel it's a very safe/secure way to hold a bunny and wouldn't want a less experienced bunny owner to see the picture and think that it was. you can offer to show them what you feel is a better way to hold a bunny Fraggles size and, if you don't think it's too much to ask of poor Fraggles, offer to let her be photographed again while in a more secure/appropriate hold.

to anyone saying not to mention it, I'd like to point out the business's/employees' point of view... no, they don't want to be screamed at and accused of sh*t by an irate customer - who does? ...BUT... (assuming they don't have their heads up their asses) they *do* want to know if you're unhappy with any aspect of the service/product you're providing and appreciate civil/constructive criticism. if you're unhappy but don't say anything, that typically hurts them because you may decide not to go back or at least not to recommend the business to others. they would MUCH rather have you say something and give them a chance to make things right!

I had a customer last week who placed an order with me that included mini yogies... the temps were actually quite low here and it didn't occur to me to check weather forecasts because I had no idea that a high of 93 was possible in Maryland in early April when it was in the 60s/70s in texas. her order sat in the mail truck all day long/wasn't delivered until 4:15 and the yogies arrived partially melted (they melt at 108F, but the back of USPS delivery vehicles aren't air conditioned).

she mentioned it to me in a PM on the glider forums while thanking me for the order and asked how she should deal with them... she assured me repeatedly that she wasn't at all upset that they were a little melty - she just wanted to know the best way to get them broken apart and to confirm that they were still 100% safe to feed (which they were). I thanked her (more than once, lol) for bringing it to my attention so that I could learn from the experience and take steps to prevent it from happening again in the future. I asked some questions about how they'd been packaged (I didn't remember where in the box I had put them), etc., which she happily answered. after doing some research, talking to the company I bought the yogies from and chatting up a friend who works for the post office, I was able to learn that temps above 80F are enough to put the yogies at risk and that I should always check weather forecasts, insulate the yogies in bubble wrap and put them in the center of the box in the future to reduce the risk of melting.

I'd *always* prefer to hear about a problem, even if it's a very minor issue and even if the customer isn't really bothered by it, because it both allows me the opportunity to set things right with the customer who experienced the problem AND gives me the chance to improve things in the future. why? because customers who are 100% satisfied with their experience are more likely to return and more likely to provide positive word-of-mouth advertising for your business... and a positive enough experience in regards to complaint resolution can more than make up for the fact that they had a complaint to begin with.

TLDR: it doesn't benefit anyone to keep a complaint to yourself as long as you're capable of being tactful in voicing it. any good business values honest feedback and recognizes it as useful, regardless of whether it's positive or negative.

Last edited:
she's got a good grip on Fraggles and she came to no harm. Why are you worrying about the what ifs and wherefores? The rabbit is fine. Not something I would make a stink over. The most I would do is say something along the lines of "oh, I noticed you did a photo op with Fraggles the other day. Nice pic, but did you know it's better to hold a bunny so that it's well supported?" (and then demonstrate)...be friendly NOT angry, be matter of fact...not emotional. you want to teach not attack.

But on the other hand...witch hunts are fun!

:humour:

I do agree that you need to say something. It is not an appropriate way to hold a rabbit and should not be used for advertising.
If they want to use a photo for ads, you can offer to bring Fraggles back when she is more healed and show them how to properly hold a rabbit. You can make it a learning importunity for the staff. As they did ask if they could use the photo, I would tell them no, but you will work to get a better photo of her if they want.

I can support a rabbit with one arm, but they are far more support than how Fraggles is being held. Mine are usually more horizontal across my arm/body and I use my elbow to hold them to my side. Their feet might hang down a bit, but the back, butt and body are all support. I usually don't hold them like this for long, just to open a pen or something and then I use my other hand to support them more.

Looks like she's eyeing a jump. My girl's half that size and if she kicks out, it hurts, and would be very hard to hold onto. I think you're obligated to say something. If you're vet is a good one you should just need to show it to him and he should understand, so you certainly wouldn't need to make a scene. It's just better to say something now than risk having something happen to your bun or someone else's later down the road.

To the above commenters who said they can hold their own buns with one hand, I agree it wouldn't be as big of a deal if it were an owner at home. But the calmest rabbits can absolutely freak at a vet's office - they smell all the dogs and cats and strange stuff that's been in there before them, and they're often incredibly stressed. My girl almost jumped off a table once at a checkup, which she would never do at home. If Fraggles has a history of nerves, and is as big as she looks in that picture, then this was an all-around awful move and I personally wouldn't be comfortable bringing her back until I said something.

My Ceri was a big girl and hated being picked?held. She would tolerate it but not for long. She would not have tolerated being held that way at all. If her feet and bum weren't supported she would kick out and jump. The little buns like Melody can be supported with one arm just fine but not the big buns. I would say something.
Just let them know how uncomfortable you are with the way the tech is holding Fraggles. I find it upsetting that a rabbit savvy vet has techs that do no not know that proper way to hold a bun of that size.

What I still don't understand is why they were taking pictures anyway? Other than a reflexive "ohhh look at the bunny!" kind of thing. But I personally don't pick up anyone else's animals. If someone has a bunny or a hamster, I don't pick them up. I will pet someone elses animal, but my first instinct isn't to GRAB the animal. I also hate when people pick my animals up. Like, don't come in my house and get all handsy with my rabbit, she doesn't like and only allows my husband to pick her up. Pet her, but leave her on the floor. When I'm around other peoples chickens, I don't just grab a chicken and hold it. Like I wouldn't expect someone to grab one of mine, unless they were buying it and inspecting. But if someone comes over, they don't just go catch a chicken to hold. LOL

I think I would tell the office, as a whole, to leave Fraggles in the cage until its time to do whatever to her. Tell them, there is no reason to carry her around or pick her up or take pictures of her. Tell them that she doesn't like it, repeat it because I know you've already told them.

I've been going to the same vets office for my whole life, I love my vet but the techs are crazy rough with the animals. I get that sometimes you have to have a little force, but I don't like it. I can be forceful with my own animals because I know them, but when someone else is forceful with them, it makes me mad. Anyway, sometimes the techs are grabby and I have to tell them to chill out. I also made my vet cry because she had two techs pull my 15 year old golden retriever across the floor because he was ignoring my hand signals to get up. I jerked the leash out their hands and screamed at all of them, like full on neck veins popping, forehead vein showing screamed at them. THAT was a ridiculous day.

What I still don't understand is why they were taking pictures anyway? Other than a reflexive "ohhh look at the bunny!" kind of thing. But I personally don't pick up anyone else's animals. If someone has a bunny or a hamster, I don't pick them up. I will pet someone elses animal, but my first instinct isn't to GRAB the animal. I also hate when people pick my animals up. Like, don't come in my house and get all handsy with my rabbit, she doesn't like and only allows my husband to pick her up. Pet her, but leave her on the floor. When I'm around other peoples chickens, I don't just grab a chicken and hold it. Like I wouldn't expect someone to grab one of mine, unless they were buying it and inspecting. But if someone comes over, they don't just go catch a chicken to hold. LOL

I'll totally pick up and love on other peoples' animals... but ONLY if I ask their permission and they say it's ok.

with gliders, I've found that random peoples' reactions run the gamut - most people are happy to look and maybe pet or even hold one if I offer... some people are actually skittish about them and don't want to hold one (not because they're worried about dropping it; because it's too new and different, lol). my psychiatrist met my breeding pair for the first time and Hurricane for the second today (I didn't have Lemmy and Tabby last time I went) and I offered to let him hold Hurricane for a sec and he totally didn't go for it. he did eventually pet her kind of awkwardly (he pet up and down her length instead of just down, lol, but she's a good little girl and didn't mind a bit). on the other end of things, I've had a few people who basically stuck out their hands and were like "gimme!", hehe... which I generally say ok to, but if it's Tabby or Lemmy in my hands at the moment and they're seeming nervous about the stranger(s), I'll ask the person to hold on while I get out Hurricane to hold. there's one girl at Hancock Fabrics who *always* wants to hold Hurricane when I go in.

That's not even an attractive presentation of Fraggles. The dummy holding her should be holding her up higher, otherwise it looks like an afterthought, like "oh, don't mind this lump of fur I was carrying around at the time." What, is your left hand f'n busy doing something? Hold that bunny! Better yet, listen to her mommy and don't lift her at all.

No, you're not overreacting. I'm nodding off, so haven't read the rest of the thread, I just like your bunnies and had to see what this was all about :)

I can kinda see both sides of the story here. Sure, the bunny could be premedded, or they just moved their hand or whatever. I've been known to hold one of my bunnies that way here or there, but only a few times I can think of, because I KNOW they don't like it or feel comfortable. Nothing actually did go wrong, so in a sense wondering what if and all those things isn't something to do *too* much of.

But, then it really isn't good advertising, or that great of a photo-you can barely see the bunny and she doesn't look exactly happy (being a photographer myself, that stuck right out to me). I'd definitly nicely let them know you weren't comfortable seeing that picture and knowing she was carried taht way. Just so they know you feel it's hard to trust this won't happen in the future. It's possible that it's just a newer staff person or tech who doesn't have alot of exposure to buns; maybe you can request only someone with alot of bunnies experience handling the buns in the future. Plus, you could request that most services (except surgery of course and xray kind of things) are done in the room in the future so you can see who and how they handle your buns.

I can't say I'm one for having people who are not experienced with buns handling my two. Several times children have been at my house who I've allowed to hold my bunnies; you would not believe how horrifying it is to see someone drop or nearly drop your bunny. I have a rule now that guests at my home can't hold the bunnies because I've seen too many things happen. Bunnies are too fragile; one little oops can be a huge disaster.

I would be upset too, and I would definitely bring it to the attention of the vet. Since you said the lady in the picture holding Fraggles wasn't your actual vet, I would ask to speak with the vet and advise him/her of what happened. Clearly you wouldn't attack them because you don't want to put them on the defensive, but I would certainly mention something.

I'm sorry that happened to Fraggles :( So what if the bunny is drugged? I still think they should be handled more carefully...

I hold Sweetie like that sometimes but she is small compared with Fraggles, and Sweetie knows that I won't drop her regardless if she struggles. Big bunnies, like Fraggles, need to be held properly by anyone. If a vet or vet tech held Sweetie or Pudden like that, I would be very upset. I would say something, Katie. Also Fraggles looks scared, that is how Sweetie and Pudden look when I hold them with one arm/hand. Fraggles isn't premedicated.

Why would you hold a bun like that anyway. If it is yours at home and you are trying to open a cage or something and know your bun won't freak fine. We always say you know your bun best and we do. I myself would not be comfortable holding a bun like that just simply due to any possible back issues.

I definitely wouldn't hold a medicated bun that way. If she looks that way because she's doped up I would would be holding her close. I would love to be able to cuddle with a bun.

Latest posts

Back