A little "bothered" by a photo of Fraggles with a vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fraggles had her picture taken on Wednesday with one of the vets before her surgery. I just received a copy of the picture and I am a little disturbed. Frags looks like a sack of potatoes and I WARNED them in advance that she is a nervous rabbit who HATES being held. She is not being supported at all and I am rather mad...Am I overreacting? Please let me know. :nope:

Fraggles with Vet.jpg

The vet looks quite happy, but poor Fraggles looks petrified to me. Poor thing. And, yes, I agree that a vet should know that Fraggles' bottom should be supported.

I'm not sure that someone who isn't familiar with rabbits would see anything at all wrong with the photo or the way bunny is being held. We know because we do know rabbits.

I'd imagine that your valid concerns would be dismissed as just the nervousness of an over-protective owner. But perhaps they would be willing to listen and learn. Hmmmm.... on second thought, maybe it would be worth your while to try to educate them. You can use the photo to show them her look of terror.

I don't like the way she's being held either! It looks like the woman is holding a cat and you CAN hold a cat like that, but not a rabbit!
Poor Fraggles, she does look terrified!
Like Suzette said maybe you can use the picture to help them understand the correct way to hold and support a rabbit. Maybe that tech just didn't know the proper way.

This person is NOT Fraggles vet and I am not sure she is even a vet maybe just a tech. I am just horrified that poor Fraggles who was already stressed at that point was used for a photo with someone who obviously does not know how to hold a rabbit. This is how I would hold a cat but never a rabbit. Plus Fraggles is WAY to big a rabbit to just be allowed to dangle like this.

I was actually just on medirabbit and reading through the different correct ways to carry a rabbit. It would be very easy for her to escape from that hold which of course could lead to her injuring herself when she lands on the floor. I have read over and over that you must support the rump not just to hold the weight but to support the spine and to avoid injury. I have also read repeatedly that you want to avoid placing pressure on the chest which from the pic I would imagine there was pressure on the chest.

I would be livid if it was my bun and I would let them know how I felt and why. I am not an over protective bun parent. What would have happened if your bun was injured or worse from not properly being carried?

I would be upset too. Poor Fraggles looks sooo scared!!! I would gently let them know how I felt. But yep, the tech looks so happy lol, poor woman is obviously ignorant about it lol. But its okay! You will teach her the ways on the Bun-force! Go on young Jedi -.-

Tomorrow is Fraggles post op check up and I think I will say something. It just really bothered me that she was not held properly and allowed to dangle on one arm. Anything could have happened and Frags is a big girl. If she had panicked I don't think there would have been enough time to react before she hit the floor.

Wait, have I missed something? Why did she have surgery?

I wouldn't even hold a cat like that, just because I know most cats hate it(with a notable exception, whom I believe I could probably even hold upside down with no problem...). I definitely know you couldn't hold Nermal like that, and I suspect Reuben would be kicking, too.

I routinely hold one of my bunnies under one arm... but my bunnies are both about HALF of Fraggles size and when I hold one under one arm, their butt and hind legs are tucked into my armpit/elbow and my forearm is under their tummy and chest so that the *entire* length of the rabbit is supported. I may scoop them up with just a hand under the chest, like she's holding Fraggles, but you can bet your ass they're fully supported by the time they're a couple feet off the ground. I wouldn't even attempt a *correctly done* one-armed hold on a bunny the size of Fraggles, let alone whatever the hell that woman is doing. hell, I wouldn't attempt it on a bunny MY bunnies' size unless I was pretty familiar with the rabbit and knew they'd be confident in the hold.

there are numerous viable ways to lift/hold/carry a rabbit (with the "best" way depending on the individual rabbit's preferences) and what that woman is doing isn't any of them.

also, it's not just one person failing there - it's at least two, because someone else had to be holding the camera. one of those people should've known better... and if neither of them did, then Fraggles shouldn't have been left with them uncaged without being supervised by someone who knows better.

even if they hadn't been warned that she hates being held - which they were - that photo shouldn't have happened in a vet's office. I would definitely find a tactful yet firm way to point that out.

I don't think your overreacting, particularly because you warned them, in addition to the fact that he is a large bunny so he could easily struggle and get free, not to mention the pressure it's putting on his chest from his weight. I would definitely tell them.

Why did they even take a picture with her? Is that something that the office normally does? Because to me its like "OMG we got a rabbit in! Lemme hold it! Take my picture!" But if thats something that they do often, then thats just different to me.
I wonder if Fraggles scratched her up? Because I know if I don't pick my 2 lb rabbit up right she'll scratch me all up and Ellie is the size of a childs shoes. lol

she's got a good grip on Fraggles and she came to no harm. Why are you worrying about the what ifs and wherefores? The rabbit is fine. Not something I would make a stink over. The most I would do is say something along the lines of "oh, I noticed you did a photo op with Fraggles the other day. Nice pic, but did you know it's better to hold a bunny so that it's well supported?" (and then demonstrate)...be friendly NOT angry, be matter of fact...not emotional. you want to teach not attack.

I agree with not getting emotional and being non-confrontational about it to avoid putting people on the defensive... but something *should* be said, because maybe the rabbit is fine this time... but what about the next time, or the next rabbit?

the slouched/hunched shoulders, awkwardly dangling hind legs and expression on Fraggles face in the picture speak volumes - that's an uncomfortable, unhappy bunny who isn't well-supported and whose weight (and sorry, Fraggles, but it's a fair amount of weight) isn't at all properly distributed. the juxtaposition of the woman's delighted and oblivious grin alongside Fraggles' "I'm under duress" body language is unsettling, to say the least. I'd expect people in a vet clinic to have a better grasp on animal body language than they apparently do.

the slouched/hunched shoulders, awkwardly dangling hind legs and expression on Fraggles face in the picture speak volumes - that's an uncomfortable, unhappy bunny who isn't well-supported and whose weight (and sorry, Fraggles, but it's a fair amount of weight) isn't at all properly distributed. the juxtaposition of the woman's delighted and oblivious grin alongside Fraggles' "I'm under duress" body language is unsettling, to say the least. I'd expect people in a vet clinic to have a better grasp on animal body language than they apparently do.

If Fraggles was at the vets for something else, I might agree, but Katie said surgery which means very nice drugs if they gave her any pre-meds, and the look I see on that rabbits face, to me, looks like 1 drugged bunny if thats what happened.

If you know your rabbit hates being held but is tolerating it for a total stranger, dont you think theres something up?
Yes other bits with no support are wrong, but dont get upset over it. Just talk to them.

Sorry but personally if that was Derby who is similiar in size to Fraggles, I would be upset too. He can kick out so quickly, and I would be worried about his back. If she was in for surgery, sorry missed what type, but if it involved anything to do with the abdomen, that hold is putting a lot of pressure on that area. A short instruction about proper holding skills should solve the problem for not only big bunnies, but bunnies in general that visit this clinic.

Here is my suggestion for what it is worth. Thank them for the pic & then explain that in the pic the vet is holding the bunny improperly & explain why. Offer to show them how to hold a bunny properly & either you provide them pix or ask if they would like to do pix to show new owners how to properly hold & support their bunny. This would be a nice thing to have in their vet office for their bunny clients! To me it would be a big plus if I were a new bunny owner & coming into their office. I like to feel like my animal's vet knows & want to tell/show me things that I need to know to help my animal to have a long healthy life.

I agree with Lisa, ladysown, and watermelons. It could have been just a quick snap shot to look at the camera and she moved her hand out of the way of the photo. If you do say something just mention it and move on.

I also hold my tans similarly but more up like how a person holds a small dog with the feet/butt not supported. This allows me a free hand if I need to cover their eyes and allows them to just kick at my stomach in frustration if they want to get away but I hold tight so they can't.

Last edited:
I never said I was going to go on the attack over this and yes I do like the vet. But this person is NOT Fraggles vet. Frags vet is a man and he is a well respected rabbit savvy exotic vet. This looks like two techs playing around. I never gave permission for her to be photographed like this and only found out after the fact. They asked if they could "use the photo of Fraggles" in the future for an ad or a facebook page. I thought it was just a photo of Fraggles until they emailed me this. I am not going to scream and shout but what about next time? Do I really want to take her back there or Muppet back there? Fraggles was there for surgery and she was extremely stressed when I left her. I don't think she was drugged at this point because her belly is not shaved yet and they said she would get a shot of pain killer before she woke up. They never said anything about drugs before she went under and I did not see it on the bill. So I don't think she was drugged.

Drugslike that arent usually on the bill.
Usually when an animal goes in for surgery they get a premed (this is why not feeding is typically menioned as one common med used for this is hypomorphone and its side effect is that is causes dogs cats or other capeable animals to vomit) once these pre meds have taken effect and the animal is ready they will put it under with their gas or iv injectable ( other methods used) drugs then tube or mask then shave clean then surgery.

So this very well looks to be a pre sx photo. Just mention holding if you want but everything else seems a little over and above....

Latest posts

Back