7 german Bunnies immigrating to the States

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
[align=center]7 german Bunnies immigrating to the States, [/align]

[align=center]and in desperate need for a temporary foster home[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]My husband and me spent some time with themilitary overseas in germany. Now that my husbands time is up we willbe going back to the states to go to college and settle down in NewYork. [/align]

[align=center]We had to leave the military pretty quick since we fearbeing forced to stay in and another deployment. My husband was deployedto Iraq for 14 months straight. During that time my pets were reallyimportant to me and I feel emotionally attached to them. I really wantto try to get them to the states.[/align]

[align=center]We are not in a good situation right now though. We willmove in with my husbands mother and then look for a home and apply forjobs, get a drivers liscense and look for different colleges. Duringthat time it would be difficult to have the bunnies with me, and my MILis not too happy about the pets anyway.[/align]

[align=center]We want to have own housing as soon as possible but itmay take us a few months.My husband is applying for afederal job andneeds to take tests and go to the academy.[/align]

[align=center]Since I am a german national and have never been to thestates, things are going to be a little difficult for me. I was hopingto work for a local school to receive a grant for college.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]We will be leaving to the states on the29th of may. The bunnies a week to a month after.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Details about the bunnies[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Females:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz6.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Moses[/align]

[align=center]2 yrs.[/align]

[align=center]Teddy Dwarf[/align]

[align=center]Russian/ red eyes[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz1.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Susi [/align]

[align=center]17 months[/align]

[align=center]Teddy Lop[/align]

[align=center]Siam/ blue eyes[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz3.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Jasmin[/align]

[align=center]14 months[/align]

[align=center]White/ blue eyes[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz2.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Emily[/align]

[align=center]10 months[/align]

[align=center]greybrown/ grey eyes[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz5-1.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Angel[/align]

[align=center]13 months[/align]

[align=center]Mini Lop Cashmere Mix[/align]

[align=center]orange/ brown eyes[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz4.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Mia[/align]

[align=center]12 months[/align]

[align=center]Mini Lop Cashmere Mix[/align]

[align=center]black and tan/ brown eyes[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]None of the females are spayed[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Male:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
zz5.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Salem[/align]

[align=center]11 months[/align]

[align=center]Lop[/align]

[align=center]black/ brown eyes[/align]

[align=center](neutered at 2 months of age)[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]They weight between900 and 1800 gramms[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Moses is from Lorette de mar in Spain, she was on sale ona local animal market and in a really bad condition (she was meant tobe food. Hard to understand how you could eat a petbunny)Jasmin and Susi are cousins and Emily is Susisdaughter. Susi and Jasmin couldnt find a home because they were grownup already and shy, so I took them in. Susi brought her daughters Emily(and Amy, who died after fighting E. Cuniculi) [/align]

[align=center]Angel wasanervous problem bunny andtherefore also sold. By now she is just as nice as the others,shebrought her sister Mia.[/align]

[align=center]Salem was left by my neighbours who went back to thestates after the military. He was found in a box with toast to eat andno water. I didnt want to keep him at first but Moses really bondedwith him as well as the other girls.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Since the bunnys will live with a friend of mine andmy sister after I leave they are seperated into 3 groups.:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]1. Susi, Emily, Mia[/align]

[align=center]2. Moses, Salem, Jasmin[/align]

[align=center]3. Angel (was sick would move to 1.)[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Sadly my sister and friend are not allowed to keep the bunnys for much longer than a month.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Housing[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]They used to live in a 8m2 stable all together. Currentlythey live in metal wire cages with plastic bottoms. 1 meter wide and 50cm deep.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Shipping:[/align]

[align=center]I want to fly the bunnys in with 'Pet Air'[/align]

[align=center]http://www.petair.de/[/align]

[align=center]The bunnys can be place in a small or medium kennel insmall groups. Restrictions are that they are supposed to have enoughspace to sit up and turn around.[/align]

[align=center]Water will be given in big bottles with a metal ball towards the tip, so no dripping.[/align]

[align=center]Food will be hey and plain gras pellets.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Papers/ entering the U.S.:[/align]

[align=center]The bunnys will be given a health certificate by the U.S.Military vet so they can easily enter the U.S. No quarantine time forbunnies.[/align]

[align=center]Sadly we still have a problem on how to get the bunniesfrom the airport in NY to their foster homes. If were lucky a driversliscense could be ready but I also want to look for other solutions ofgetting them around NY.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Thanks to all that may provide help![/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Emi[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

I really hope you are able to find foster homes for these guys. I know how much they mean to you.

Is there any way you could convince your hubby to let you bring Angelas a carry on? I mean, she wouldnt take up much room in your new roomat the MIL's house, and then you could try to place the 2 trios.

I wish I was closer to NY and could help. With regards totransportation, does your hubby have a drivers license and maybe hecould borrow his mom's car?

Im sure anyone who would potentially foster would want to know first,how long will they be fostering? second, will you pay for food/vetbills if necessary?

I really hope you will be able to make this work. And are there any ofthem that you arent as attached to that you could try to rehome inGermany before you leave? Just some things to think about. I know itwill be hard moving to a new country, plus having to deal with thebuns. At least if your sis/freind can house them for a month that willgive you some time to settle in a little.

Let me know if theres anything I can do to help!

Is there any way you could convince yourhubby to let you bring Angel as a carry on? I mean, she wouldnt take upmuch room in your new room at the MIL's house, and then you could tryto place the 2 trios.
I will try to convincehim about Angel, she is a little problem bunny anyway and would bebetter off with me.

I wish I was closer to NY and could help. With regards totransportation, does your hubby have a drivers license and maybe hecould borrow his mom's car?
No, sadly neitherof us has a drivers liscense. My hubby joined the army with 17 already,liscense age in NY is 18. I dont have one either..it costs 3000 $ ingermany and you take classes for a year :?so hubby anted meto wait until we get to the states. Maybe if my husband takes the testsright away his liscense will be ready in time. Otherwise I would travelby train..did that before. Travelled 10 hours to pick up Susi and herfamily :shock:

Im sure anyone who would potentially foster would want to know first,how long will they be fostering? second, will you pay for food/vetbills if necessary?
Of course I will pay forfood and vet :)I forgot to include that, thatsoutof the question. I just hope that the costs for housing them are nottoo expensive. A bunny hotel here in germany takes 4$ per bunny daily.My husband is concerned about not spending too much money on thebunnys...the flights cost a lot already.

I really hope you will be able to make this work. And are there any ofthem that you arent as attached to that you could try to rehome inGermany before you leave? Just some things to think about.
I have thought about this for a half yearand still find it hard. I would consider giving away the bunnys thatare not that attached to me maybe. That would be Salem, he is cute buthe would be fine without me...but other than him its really tough and Idont want to give single Salem away.. Moses for example isalittleshy so that could be a reason for giving her away, butthats because of her bad past so I feel like I should care for her.Well if I really HAVE to I would leave a few buns but I'd rathernot.
I know it will be hard moving to a newcountry, plus having to deal with the buns. At least if your sis/freindcan house them for a month that will give you some time to settle in alittle.

Let me know if theres anything I can do to help!
Thank you for your help Haley :bunnydance:

I should be able to help out with some of the bunny transport once they get here.

I couldn't find any information on the destination points that petair services.
They'll most likely come into one of the international airports around here.
I'm closest to Newark (NJ).

~Jim

That would be great :)

I talked to the airline about Newark yes.

I could also choose an airport in NY if I had to switch. Bunnys ticketsneed to be bought 1 month earlier so I got plenty of time.

I also checked the train shedule and from Middletown to Newark its onlyabout 50 min., so probably all together up to 2 hours to NJ places.

:ponder:

I'm wondering if the 4H programs in the area could help in some way.
I found that Cornell Univ coordinates their programs from the campus in Middletown, NY.
And Rutgers Univ does the same for my area in NJ.

I've got their contact info and I'll see if they're working today....it's Saturday, but it's worth a try.:phone:

Got some errands to run.:run:
Updates later!

~Jim

jadeicing, if you look in mummels first poststarting this thread it says None of the females are spayed. but itdoesnt say anything about the males so i guess they are neutered

haha, I bet Mummel will be happy to get them to the states where she can find a good vet to do the spays.

I dont know how many of you were here when she posted this story, butshe took one in for a neuter and they sent him home telling hereverything went well with the surgery. A few weeks later she found outit was a girl, unspayed! And she was like, what the heck did thiscreepy doctor do then? It was quite funny :D

Hi,

I live in south jersey about a 3 hour driveto staten island or bay shore area New York.I dont travel very much.

But if there was a way to get the bunny gang to meI would be gladto take them in. I am a breederso Iwould not mind caring for themfor awhile till you getsettled.Or if you decided that you couldnt keep all of them. Iwilltry and helpanyway thatIcould.Keep me informed.

Bunnylady:angelandbunny:

JimD wrote:
:ponder:

I'm wondering if the 4H programs in the area could help in some way.
I found that Cornell Univ coordinates their programs from the campus in Middletown, NY.
And Rutgers Univ does the same for my area in NJ.

I've got their contact info and I'll see if they're working today....it's Saturday, but it's worth a try.:phone:

Got some errands to run.:run:
Updates later!

~Jim
Thank you!
Hm..Middletown is good but what are 4 H programs..? ^^'

4-H programs are where kids learn aboutresponsible pet ownership/showing etc. They usually have adults who runand sponser the program, so Im sure Jims thinking one of them might beable to offer some room.

Personally, if I were you, I would use someone on this board first ifthey are offering. What Ive seen and heard of 4-H is not good, and itmakes me nervous that your girls are not spayed. I would hate to seethem bred without your permission or something.

Haley wrote:
haha, I bet Mummel will be happy to get them to the stateswhere she can find a good vet to do the spays.

I dont know how many of you were here when she posted this story, butshe took one in for a neuter and they sent him home telling hereverything went well with the surgery. A few weeks later she found outit was a girl, unspayed! And she was like, what the heck did thiscreepy doctor do then? It was quite funny :D
Yes that was pretty scary. Used to think Moses was a boy .Another vetlatertold me that Moses was a girl and I started wonderingwhat the first vet even removed from down there? If anything...

Dr.s here dont like to spay females..only in emergencys. wanted to getAngel spayed because she is really a little freaky but the vet ratherwanted not to spay her. I could demand it but if the vet doesnt want todo it hes probably not too good at it <_<.

I will get Angel spayed for sure..I want to post something elseregarding her weird behaviour. Anyone know where I can upload videoclips for free?:D

Haley wrote:
4-Hprograms are where kids learn about responsible pet ownership/showingetc. They usually have adults who run and sponser the program, so Imsure Jims thinking one of them might be able to offer some room.

Personally, if I were you, I would use someone on this board first ifthey are offering. What Ive seen and heard of 4-H is not good, and itmakes me nervous that your girls are not spayed. I would hate to seethem bred without your permission or something.
Yeah, someone secretly breeding with them is the last thing I want..:(

I was thinking about having bunny babys in the future but I would be soworried about the babys and giving them too a good home. In the end Iwould probably end up keeping them..so rather not ^^

Back