I have BIG news!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, do you think it's too soon to sack one of my maids of honour less than 2 weeks after I asked her?!!!

She's DOING MY HEAD IN!!!

Honestly, I know that she'll be great at taking care of stuff- she'll give it her all and be really responsible and help out as much as she can, but so far all she's done is remind me that 'if you want this wedding in September you need to get a move on' 'you NEED to book a venue' etc etc..... AARRRGH!!!

I went to a wedding fair earlier with my 2 maids of honour and my 2 other best friends. It was kind of small, but really good. I got loads of free booklets and magazines with venues, etc in. Tons of ideas! I now know that we have to have a chocolate fountain!:D

I am looking at venues online. There are a couple we both reeeeeeally like, but we have to go and see. Here they are:

Priston Mill- The Watermill

I LOVE this one, but the drawback is there is no accommodation on-site, although a few separate places nearby. It's really light and airy inside though, and SO pretty outside! It's about an hour away from where we live.

The Park Resort

This one is just beautiful. But VERY expensive. Probably twice the cost of Priston Mill at first glance. Although it's closer, and there are rooms on-site. Some of mine and Steve's family would be travelling from very far away so they'd need to stay overnight...

Orchardleigh House

This place is AMAZING! But it looks SO expensive...... I almost don't dare to cost it up..... :shock:

Eastwood Park

This place really caught my eye, although there's not too many pictures of it on their site. It has accommodation, too....

Halswell House

This one looks amazing as well.... Look at that bathroom!! :shock: It has a complicated price structure that I don't quite understand but it has rooms for people to stay in.....

So, what a decision! We're goint to make some appointments to look at places next Sunday and the week after- Steve is going away to Dublin on Thursday for 2 days and is busy working all this week, so we don't have time to look before then- trying telling that to my Maid of Honour though!

Luckily, he likes the look of all of them too :) We've not disagreed on anything yet- which is NOT normal for us!!

I sacked mine a few days before the wedding. I almost beat the living daylights out of her. I am sure yours will be nowhere near as bad as mine.

Well, it may be a good thing to have Hitler for your maid of honor! She will surely keep you on track. Are you thinking THIS September? Not a lot of time to plan! (I haven't received my invite in the mail yet slacker).

slavetoabunny wrote:
Well, it may be a good thing to have Hitler for your maid of honor! She will surely keep you on track. Are you thinking THIS September? Not a lot of time to plan! (I haven't received my invite in the mail yet slacker).

Yeah, THIS September, if we can! Although we have said that if it's really the PERFECT venue, and it's not available, we will wait..... Our anniversary is in September, the 18th, so it would be nice to have it on the 19th, which is the nearest Saturday....

Ali, oh my! Did you really sack her? What did she do?!!!!

Funny, that as I was typing this, the epsiode of Friends was on where Phoebe got married and she sacked Monica as her Maid of Honour :p

Elf Mommy wrote:
Ah, but if you wait til 2010, then the 18th WILL be on a Saturday ;) ...and you'll have much more time to plan ;)
As Steve says though, 'Jen is a very now person'. I am terrible at waiting!!! I'd do it next month if we could lol! :biggrin2:

It seems like my parents offering to pay is causing troubles. I need to talk to my dad really, because my mum is conufusing things and taking things the wrong way. She has in her mind that it will be really cheap to do a wedding- she thinks it would be really cheap for a big posh venue, a sit-down meal and then a party in the evening. AND the dress, flowers and stuff too... If we go to a registry office. One of the things we have always said is that we don't want to go to the registry office, because it's just a small room, in a council building, that doesn't mean anything. It's our day and we want it to be special.

Anyway, I told my mum that if there was a limit on what her and dad wanted to spend, and the place we wanted etc came to more than that, then me and Steve would be happy to pay our own money into it as well. I think she took it the wrong way because she said 'so you want a big flash wedding then?' I tried to explain that it wasn't necessarily the case, but we've been looking at a lot of places and weddings in general aren't cheap, and it's our special day and we want to make sure it's memorable for us, because we only want to do it once. I don't think she understood though...

My brother then piped up 'yeah, you don't want just to do a quick thing in the regsitry office and then go down the pub do you? You want it to be special' and I think that REALLY upset my mum because that's exactly what she and my dad did!! But, that's what she wanted to do.

I'm just feeling really stressed about it now because I'm worried that I've come across like I'm being selfish and spoilt, when it's not what I meant at all. Me and Steve just both want us to have a day that we really remember as being special. Do I sound selfish and spoilt?

:cry1::cry1::cry1:

You sound neither selfish nor spoiled; I completely understand.
In my "Christian Life & Love" class in high school last year, we had to plan a wedding on a $10,000 budget. It's hard, I know.
You're completely right; this is a special day for the two of you and you certainly want it to be memorable!

Your not acting spoiled!

Thanks guys :) You make me feel better!

Which I really need right now because I spoke to my dad about it and he said that he doesn't understand why a wedding needs to cost any more than that and why are these places putting there prices so high? Umm, well, I don't know! He also said that 'it's not the venue that matters really, WE just got married in a registry office and that was fine'. I told him that was great for them because it was what they wanted, but it's not what we want.

Then I spoke to my mum and she said 'well you're not Madonna, you don't need this big flash wedding' :cry1:

I don't think they understand that I am not asking them for more money, we are just saying that we want our wedding to be special. And that we are willing to contribute as well. But they just keep saying that we should go to a registry office and do it as cheaply as possible. My dad said we should get together and discuss it properly, which I think is a good idea because maybe then we will be able to get our point across. Steve is completely on my side. I do worry that he will tell my parents EXACTLY how it is lol if it gets bad. Oh WHY does it have to be so stressful?? All we want is to get married and have a lovely special day :(

I did speak to my best friend (one of my Maids of Honour) who is also getting married at some point and doing it very cheaply- in a registry office etc, and she was SO great. She says that she completely agrees with me, and that even if we did want a big flash wedding, it's our right because it's OUR wedding. She said that she is doing it cheaply because that's what SHE wants, but if she wanted a bigger wedding, she would do, and it would be her right to do so. She is so lovely. I am so glad she is my Maid of Honour! She calmed me down loads earlier when I was in tears about it all....

:(

oh wow!!! I'm so happy for you. today is the first day in 2 months that i've been on the RO because I GOT ENGAGED TOO!!!!! so i was so excited when i saw your engagement. I'm doing an outdoor friday evening wedding on SEPTEMBER 18th....lol...if you go with the 19th we're practically getting married the same day. i'm so happy for you!!! have you joined the website www.theknot.com? i'm addicted to it!

oh...by the way....a lot of venues give you a discount for doing a friday night or sunday wedding. i never thought i'd do either but the more i thought about it the friday night sounded romantic. my reception starts at 5pm so still plenty of daylight and then the nightfall....hopefully lots of stars!! then you have all day saturday to lay in bed before you leave for your honeymoon on sunday. =)

purplepeacock wrote:
oh wow!!! I'm so happy for you. today is the first day in 2 months that i've been on the RO because I GOT ENGAGED TOO!!!!! so i was so excited when i saw your engagement. I'm doing an outdoor friday evening wedding on SEPTEMBER 18th....lol...if you go with the 19th we're practically getting married the same day. i'm so happy for you!!! have you joined the website http://www.theknot.com? i'm addicted to it!
Oh YAY!!!!! Congratulations!! I seem to remember we were talking about in the Christmas present thread how we'd love an engagement ring for Christmas but we didn't think it would happen? I'm so happy that it happened for both of us! :biggrin2:

The Friday evening thing sounds very cool- I hadn't thought of that at all. I had also thought of doing it on a Sunday with a Bank Holiday the next day, because most places give discounts for that, but then we have to do it at the end of August which is the furthest away public holiday, lol :shock:

That site is American, so a lot of the prices etc wont apply to me, but it might be great for ideas, thanks! :D

We went to look at a venue this morning! It's THE ONE!

This place:

http://www.pristonmill.co.uk/index.html

The watermill is my favourite, although not sure how big it is. But the setting is just BEAUTIFUL- all rolling hills for miles around! The Tythe barn is a lot bigger though...

We didn't go in and see it, because there was already something else going on there, but we drove round the outside of the buildings and that was enough for us. We are in love!

We are waiting for the wedding co-ordinator to call us back so we can make a date to go and look at it properly and talk dates and cost and stuff.

I am just PRAYING that they have a date in September free! We want the 19th but we were talking earlier and the 12th would be good too- because it would mean that we'd be on honeymoon for our anniversary :biggrin2:

I'm going to a wedding dress shop in the morning with my friends :shock: They're stockists of the dress that I want.... Scary stuff!

:panic:

Latest posts

Back