Bunny Yard Sale / Meet Up This Sat/Sun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm your ride, sas!

Expect me to be there bright and early on Sunday morning. Or maybe not so bright, but definitely early.

The time will vary depending on how many people need to be picked up but I'd give a very healthy estimate of a little after 4am.

Whereabouts are you Christina? I'm in downtown so it'd make sense to pick up the people in Vancouver on the way to the ferry. If not, maybe you could stay at someone's house in Vancouver or Richmond and I'll be able to pick you up there.

I'm sure we could cram you in somehow. =)

Hey I am in richmond. Near steveston. But my friend Sarah lives in vancouver just over the oak street bridge and she said I could stay there saturday night If I needed to. I do drive, but yeah my car also doesn`t have AC. Not good if we`re picking up buns!

Steveston is on the way to the ferry (sort of), don't think that will be an issue.

Transporting bunnies AND a lot of people in one car may be more of an issue. What kind of vehicle?

Christina, I think we can do okay without air conditioning, not sure what you're driving, but I also might be able to rent a co-op mini-van or something, although will have to make that decision ASAP in order to make the booking, I'm sure being a weekend, there will be a demand.

I'm sure the funds either way can come out of a future yard sale.

But right now I'm about to post in the Infirmary, Marvin, my little rew LA rescue guy, is really sick. :( Won't prevent the trip but I have to get him out to Martinez in Steveston tomorrow (today), might make planning a challenge. :(

sas

Well if we all hold the buns in our laps like with Sidney... =D. Or hold the carriers in our laps. And Aaryn and I have an xpen and a cage at someone's house in Richmond. Since I can't take any more rabbits at home, someone could borrow my xpen for the uvic rabbit.
And if we all pile in one car, it'll be way cheaper than with two cars and our group split in two.

With Sidney's surgeries, I have a feeling I may need to have a bake sale for something haha. Because Spank has chronic issues too, and his eye started up again. I can't spend all my vet bunny money on Sidney.

OH! And since Monday is a holiday, I've been scheduled to go into my empty work clinic and feed and clean everyone. So I have an empty clinic the day after we go to Victoria.. it may come in handy?

What I was thinking was to drive two cars to the terminal if we need the space and have half go on as foot passenger and park their car in the short term parking lot. I still need to research if it's cost effective though but certainly better than taking two cars.

Once we reach Victoria, we can either squish or some people take transit which is easy because there's so many buses going to UVIC.

[EDIT: okay so it's $16 for 24 hours in the long-term parking (farther away) which isn't terrible, I don't think. It's horrendously expensive but it's the cheapest at the terminal]

Would someone like to give me a quote on a large van rental?

Right now the number of people going and needing rides (that is to say, all five of us) can fit in the car. April and I have a friend who's still working out with her workplace to come and she'll be the 6th. She lives in Steveston as well so as long as no one minds being a bit squished we should be able to manage.

Of course, the least expensive method is to stuff someone (or two!) in the back and just not say anything about them when we reach the ticket booth. ;)

I can be an on foot passenger! I probably won't bring Sidney anyways, I carry him around enough as it is =P

Sammi hasn't said anything yet, and we leave in two days. I'm going to assume she's out if she doesn't give me an answer by the end of the day. Our x-pen and cage is at Sammi's house on Steveston which we can pick up on the way back.

I can't look up van prices now as I'm going to work. But my dad rented a truck last summer for $120 a day so that I could move back home haha. Is that reasonable?

Haha, I don't think that quote is very appealing, April. That's almost as much as the ferry ride we took last week.

Also, in other news:

BRING ALL YOUR NIC CUBES! We're hoping to make an (noiseless!) xpen which we can easily make on the ferry. I've got a stash of zip-ties so we should be just fine in that department. Just remember to count how many you've brought if you want them back and we'll take them apart on the return trip.

Here's a not-so-short post on what else you might want to bring, too. Any huge towels/blankets and other rabbit-catching implements will be very appreciated.

Hey everyone.
About going to the island. We could take my car as well if everyone pitches in. We would be able to take more rabbits that way. I can probably only take one bun, but I'm begging my mom for 2.

April, I have 2 xpens but the extra would be great. (Domino is kind of use to having 2 put together!)
Like I said the only problem with my car is that its a small 2 door hatchback, and no AC (for the bunnies sakes).

Aaryn, I have 10 nic cubes and a few towels I can bring. Also a small litter box we can use for the trip. As well, I'm going to pick up an extra bag of hay from VRRA for the buns we pick up. I also have 2 carriers now, but one is super small.

April, a bake sale sounds like a great idea! I might do something like that if the bun I catch needs extra medical attention. If you want any help with that, let me know!

I'm checking cost and ferry times right now.

Okay so I just calculated cost for both ways on the ferry. If there is 5 of us, and one vehicle, it will be $228.60. The cost for each of us will be about $45.72, which is much better than I thought it would be. It can be cheaper if you're a student, which I am, so it's only $7.00. But I just went under adult in case I don't meet the requirements for an adult student. (You know those things never mean what they say!) I have a bus pass so I can take transit if needed.

I have at least two hard carriers, three soft ones (which hopefully they can't chew or tear through), a pet stroller and an x-pen.

I think I have enough NIC panels (thanks to Spring/Leanne and the recent CDN Tire sale) to build another cage or two here. (PS: I posted about the person selling a bunch for $5 on the North Shore, maybe they still have them).

If so I can take a few rabbits here but it would be nice two have it set up in advance, so if anybody want to have a pen-building party on Saturday, let me know! I still have all the stuff from my Mom's storage strewn everywhere, but hopefully there's some room in the furnace room to store some of it and create some cage spaces.

I can get the spays/neuters done for a rescue rate. I think another yard sale set up as an adoption event will help with these costs. I have a few people at least wanting to foster.

sas

Wicked.

We should be okay in terms of transportation. I've got an SUV with five seats and a lot of trunk space. If we take on a sixth person we can always double-buckle the middle seat.

If the case is that student fare is $7, everyone is a student except for Sas so that should decrease our costs significantly. I don't remember there being a student fare but we'll see when we get there.

In addition, bus passes for Mountain Coast (ie. Vancouver) aren't valid on the island. On the other hand, you can expect it to be cheaper. Hopefully we won't have to go that route though.

I'd like to build a livetrap out of wood but I think I'm going to need help especially with the amount of time available.

Call me, Christina so I have your number.

Never mind, Christina, didn't see your PM.

I asked BCIT Joinery just for the heck of it if they would like to help us out with a live trap. They were totally game but I arrived right when they were leaving so they won't be able to make anything until Tuesday.

Oh well. I guess we'll just make do. =)

I'm up for a pen building session tomorrow. Time to exercise my architecture muscles!

Christina: Yup you can totally borrow my x-pen! It's 4 feet high - I bought it brand new last Summer at Petcetera's closing sale for $50. And I haven't touched it since last week. But because I left it outside for a year, I think there is some rust on the bottom now =[ But it's perfectly good!

And I'm game for a bake sale or some good fundraiser. I learned that there is no insurance for a rabbit in Canada =[ Sooo now I'm going to save up a couple thousand and order that wheelchair =[

Ohh no, I can't help with pen building. I have work from 12 - 9 pm.

Sidney's really perked up =]
Aside from gaining quite a bit of weight (!!), he struggles like he should when I pick him up. And when I roll over in bed, he gives me a good nip! Then he licks it haha. He's fur is softening up, and he's not as bony when I pet him now. And he LOVES being petting and kissed. He's so tame it's unbelievable. Earlier, I watched him jump too!

He's super easy to medicate. I just put metacam or zithromax in the syringe, and he runs over, puts his mouth over it and all I do is push. When the syringe is empty, he bites it and takes it with him!

OH! And there is no 6 am ferry for Aug 1. The 6 am ferry is for the 31st only.

Latest posts

Back