Zip Ties on NIC cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good way to make the zip tie ends not as sharp? I swear I am always hurting myself on those things. I have them on the outside of the cage so Little Bunny doesn't get hurt on them. But after I just made myself bleed again, I would really like to find a way to make them safer.

Any ideas?

Thanks Amy

I trim the ends of my zip ties with a human nail cutter. Just a fingernail cutter, but I got the larger size, and use it only for trimming zip ties. It is wide enough that it goes across the entire width of the zip tie. I just put the cutter flush with the latch part of the zip tie (what would that be called?) and cut it there. I can usually get it flush, and if it isn't I can trim anything that still sticks out. By doing this, I can make sure there are no sharp ends.

Every once in a while, I will get a zip tie that loosens itself after awhile, but I usually have more around, so I'll just replace it. Oh, I usually use the 7" or 8" zip ties, and the smaller (4"?) ones for lighter things.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I left a little bit of the zip tie sticking out when I cut them. I think cutting them back, I have a pair of those nail cutters Beth and then if I have any sharp edges I will melt those.

Thanks again,
Amy

I know what you mean, by getting hurt on them. My 3 yr old has fell on the cage a couple times when playing and been cut up pretty bad(in the past). I think my daughter has once. Melting them sounds like a good idea. I have cutters and I try to cut it as short as possible now.

I pull mine tight (or use a tie wrap gun)and then cut flush with a pair of side cutters (I took the gun and cuttersfrom an old job) not sure where you would buy them. With the gun you don't even need to cut them it cuts it flush and thereare no sharp edges.

Here is a tie wrap gun

tiewrapgun.jpg

Here are the side cutters

sidecutters.jpg

they are sharp i have a scar from where i got myself on one,lol i sometimes use a nail file, made for acrylic nails and a few swipes across, and down on the sharp corners to get the points off, works great

I have the side cutters. I think my problem was that I wasn't cutting them down far enough. I thought I had read that if you cut them down to far, they will come undone. But it seems like none of you guys have had that problem so yesterday I cut them all down. I tried burning some that I felt were in the dangerous area of hurting me but I am not sure I did a good job. I was afraid they would catch on fire lol. I think I may try the nail file.

Kate do you remember about how long you had to burn them so they were not sharp?

April, I can understand your kids getting hurt. Those things can get you good!!!

Latest posts

Back