Yuki is not pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koumyou_69

Reaction score
IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Location Ajax ontairo

Description (Breed, color, weight) Lion head. white, 3.6 lbs

Age 4 1/2

Sex Male (unfixed)

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: he was fine untill last night when i noticed that he was not drinking, and his food seems untouched so i left it over night to see if he would drink/eat over night and this afternoon still nothing had been touched, i picked him up and checked his stomach mass to see if it was growing again and it seems the same size as it was the last vet visit. so i gave him a bath and gave him some critical care (about 30 ml) and syringe feed him about 5 ml of water and he took it all vary greedy for more but wont drink from his water bottle. He has pee'ed twice since then but no poop thats what is worrying me

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? no poop but i dont know how long that is at least 5 hours
- when did they last use their litterbox?
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? he is hiding under his shelf insted of sitting on it like normal
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? only sheet paper becuase or past issues with care fresh

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? no
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? yes
- is s/he on any medications? no

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? pellits and hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? not sure on his own but i fed him critical care 5 hours ago
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) havent seen him eat any pellits but he was nibbling on hay a bit

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? seems normal
- is the rabbit molting? no
- any weight loss? not that i know
- any sign of drooling? wet face? no
- runny eyes? one eye seems to be weeking a bit
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? not that i have noticed
- is s/he breathing normally? seems so

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? not that i know of
- has the rabbit been outdoors? no
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? yes and no

Sounds like gas. You can get baby gas medicine and give it to him. I think there a dosing guide in the library. Also some recommend pedialyte to your bun hydrate. I would also take him to the vet if this doesn't resolve by tomorrow. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

What do you mean "stomach mass growing again??"

get some infant gas drops containing only simethicone.; the brand here in the US are Mylicon Infant gas drops or liquid gas x for infants
Ovol in the UK

read the back of the package; simethicone should be the only active ingredient

Give about 1 cc per syringe for gas ; gas often will accumulate if the GI tract is slow and cause the bunny more discomfort ; you can repet the 1 cc dosage in about an hour if he doesn't seem more comfortable
Also give gentletummy massages and/or encourage him to bemore active .;exercise helps get the gut moving

No more than three 1 cc doses per 12 hr period

You need to also get some fresh pineapple juice ( not canned,frozen, or bottled but freshly squeezed from a fresh pineapple

also get children's electrolyte drink ( like Pedialyte.)
You can freely syringe Pedialyte and also mix several cc's of pineapple juice with the pedialyte several times per day. Don't exclusively use pineapple juice as it has a lot of sugar but do give sevral cc's maybe 2 times per day.

get a probiotic like benebac and administer one dose; this may assist in stabilizing the gut flora. benebaccan bought at petstoresand comes in very small tubes of gel for small mammals and also in a powder form for dogs/cats. The dog/cat/ powder can be used on rabbits. here it can be bought at both Petsmart and Petco ..and also online
if he is used to eating veggies give him a wet salad; if he is not used to veggies you could start him out with a very small amount of a green like parsley; most rabbits like it but you need to start veggies slow.

Offer hay to him as this will help keep his GI tract moving.

Hydrating your bunny is very important ; if you cannot get the items above tonite then syringe water..a few cc's every few hoursor asmuch as he will take without stressing him out ; if you have apple juice in the house add a little bit to flavor the water.

When a bunny begins to go into stasis the owner must learn to actively intervene in the process.

the longer the bun sits inactive and inappetent the longer the process of recovreywill be.

let us know how he is....

i put him on the floor to get him to move around a bit and he started drinking out of a bowl of water for a good 5 mins and finished about half the bowl and when i put him in his cage he drank a small bit more out of his water bottle and now he is eating some celery about 2 sticks (mostly the leaves thats his fav)but still no poop in his cage if none by tomorrow morning i think i might take him to the vet. he is still up and moving and grooming its just the lack of poop that is bothering me i am not sure about the things suggested since he has had a blockage in his stomach/gi tract that is what i was talking about before there is another thread about a little over a month ago most of it broke up but there is atill a mass about a little smaller then a walnut

Elaine, I just saw this.

How is Yuki this morning? I hope he's better.

I have the Blanket for him too, It's PINK!

Susan:sickbunny:

i took him to the vet this morning because still no poop and vary little pee. the vet says he is acidocic (ph in the urin is high) so he is staying in the hospital again :( they are starting anitibiotics , critical care, sicapride, and sub Q fluids again.

when i saw yuki last night he seemed vary bright and was even playing little games with us and while we were there he pooped. it was a clump really of about 5 poops and some sticky mucus it was a bit white not sure but looked like some hair in it as well. the vet tech took it i dont know if they are going to test it but this morning still no bowel movements and he did not eat anything on his own over night. i have no idea what is wrong with my baby boy and its worrying me :'( :in tears::sad:

Oh Boy, I hope he gets better real soon. The poor Baby. Did you take him to the same Vet you went to last time?

Lots of Prayers going his way.:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Susan:(

I have no useful advice to share but I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you guys and wishing Yuki a speedy recovery. :pray:

Thank you Susan and Nela

So far no improvement other then he ate a few pellets this morning but still no poop and is urin ph is still 5 :(

Elaine, did she say what causes the urine PH to be that high? The poor baby. Yuki needs his new Pink Blankie, it's yellow on the opposite side.:biggrin2:

How's your Mom? Say hi to her from me.:wave:

Susan:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Most of this medirabbit article doesn't apply here, however, scroll down to "uroliths" for an explanation of problems with high Ph
possible urinary tract infection, tendency to produce stones

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

Sometimes these problems take time to resolve so if he did poop some last night think of as a positive sign and that as time goes on he may improve even more
and let us know .............. :pray:

They just did an X-ray pm him and discovered the mass in him stomach is mineralized and that his part kidney also has mineralization in it ……… the vet gave me two options ultra sound or exploratory surgery

Just visited him at the vet and he still seems bright, apparently they forgot to tell him how serious it is! He was hopping around with all his normal attitude and pulling the veggies out of our hands lol he even pooped while we were there they were vary small but there were about 20 - 25 of them if you put them all together about the equlivant of about 4 normal size bunny poops
So little improvement but he is a fighter and I will fight as long as he wants to as well

Koumyou_69 wrote:
Just visited him at the vet and he still seems bright, apparently they forgot to tell him how serious it is! He was hopping around with all his normal attitude and pulling the veggies out of our hands lol he even pooped while we were there they were vary small but there were about 20 - 25 of them if you put them all together about the equlivant of about 4 normal size bunny poops
So little improvement but he is a fighter and I will fight as long as he wants to as well
This is really good news :D

Latest posts

Back