You're not gonna believe this...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey...that would be totally wonderful for me! Heck, look at Maisie...she's totally bonded with me exclusively. I suspect she may change her mind now that she's spayed...but she's definitely stuck on me, hehe!

But, I tell ya...I wouldn't mind a cuddle bug all to myself! :)

ok...

Is anyone else picturing Rosie walking around the house with the 12bunnies in line behind her? :p

Seriously, lionheads are like lil dogs :?They are hilarious. Peg, what made you choose the lionhead breed? I am curious. They really are fascinating...

ROFLOL...I know I'M definitely picturing it! And I know they will, too...follow me around the house...the cats sure do! And that's not even a real kitty-type trait! LOL!!

Can't wait til I have one big ol' warren o' buns...:D

MsBinky wrote:
They are hilarious. Peg, what made you choose the lionhead breed? I am curious. They really are fascinating...

Oh my...its sort of a long story and I don't want to hijack Rosie's thread....

but you talked me into it!!! :biggrin2:

After I rescued a rabbit and he was returned to his owner - I desperately wanted another rabbit. I had been researching rabbits during the 10 days or so that the rabbit lived with us and I decided I wanted to get a flemish giant.

So I got Tiny....and Tio and Kyo, a pair of Netherland Dwarf brothers.

Art was away and sent me a magazine on rabbits and they had lionheads in them. I read the article and was fascinated by them....and I found a breeder in San Antoio. The next thing I knew...I had SugarBear and GingerSpice. I fell in love with them.

The breeder than told me about Holland Lops - and we adopted Puck from California.

WOW - I was in love with rabbits. They had changed my life completely (and I don't just mean the mess). I had continued to stay in touch with the lionhead breeder - she was so impressed with my rabbit knowledge (thanks to this forum) and suggested I consider breeding. She said she often had people from Mexico (I'm 3 miles from the border) wanting her to ship rabbits...and she also had sales in this area sometimes (or a few towns over).

I thought about it and thought it might be interesting. I would have LOVED to breed flemish giants but Art put his foot down about that. Flemish giants take up too much room and eat too much.

I was too scared to breed Holland Lops....because I knew they had a reputation for stuck kits sometimes. I needed a breed of rabbit that I adored ... and that would be easy and not scary for me.

The funny thing is - the first rabbit show that Art & I went to - we walked around the area separately looking at various rabbits. We both came to the same conclusion and I was shocked when on the way home he said to me, "Of all the breeds I saw there - I like the lionheads the best..". (The exception to that was Puck who I think Art dearly loved even if he doesn't admit it).

Now I've heard of "mean" lionheads and I've heard breeders talk about mean lionheads. I have one that is mean and cage aggressive. But to me - the lionhead breed - if bred for personality - is much like having a minature flemish giant with more fur and an extra couple of batteries.

Along the way we've temporairily had half mini rex/half lionheads (WOW), mini lop, french lop (Beatrice hated us - she met her new owners and fell instantly in love with them and is spoiled rotten), and I forget what else.

My favorites? Oh man...I love lionheads and holland lops and minilops the second best - but honestly - flemish giants have my heart. My life feels so empty without one.

But that is how I got into breeding lionheads. What amazes me (with over 100 rabbits) is how they each have their own personalities and likes and dislikes - and I'm not talking about JUST lionheads either.

Each rabbit is so unique....wow.

Peg

Oh my gosh, how exciting! I read the title and thought you were going to say Teeny turned into a girl or something, LOL! I should've known..:D
She's beautiful! That name is perfect for her.:)

Rosie - you and I both are attracted to those bunnies with the bunnitude!! I love it!

Fiver is so sweet tho - does he have it? I didn't know if Tony would but believe me - if we touch his stuff..... look out! :shock: Otherwise he's pretty mellow.... just a big goofball but always into something! ALWAYS!

She is soooooo pretty! And looks like a determined bunny also! Give Audrey a big kiss on her lovely little nose! Having seen her dad, I know from whom she inherited such a cute face!

Marietta

aawwwww she's gorgeous!! it's no wonder you fell in love.. who could resist that face :p watch out, there'll be lots of bunny-napping threats coming your way hehe

Aww...thanks so much, guys! She's such a special little bun...I'm so proud to call her my baby!

And Bo...YES...I've got a serious attraction to spunkitude, hehe!

Does Fiver have it? Not AS MUCH as the others, but he's one of only two that I had to zip-tie the foodbowl holder to his cage, because he discovered that when he's eaten all his food, he could be strong enough and stubborn enough so as to unclip it, and toss both the foodbowl holder AND the foodbowl around! LOL!! Trixie's the other bun I've had to do that with...so yeah, he does have a bit...but only when he thinks he's gonna die from starvation, hehe!!

Each one has it in their own way...

SweetPea refuses to trance, and will not "go" in her bigger litterbox, but freely "goes" in her smaller one, hehe...

Cuddles has figured out how to get her foodbowl out of the holder and likes to toss it around all day, once it's empty.

Maisie...well, she's a princess, who can blame her, hehe!

Trixie's the diva in every sense of the word...SHOVES the door open with her nose everynight when I go to feed her, so hard that she winds up with a front paw and her face coming out with the door opening, because she's pushing so hard, hehe!

Velveteen also refuses to trance, and every now and then plays the game of, "You can't touch me!!" and runs away and buzzes and thumps when I try to pet him. Then he'll come back and buzz at me when I close the door from giving up, hehe!

Teeny's just an all-around trouble maker! I actually caught him climbing the side of his cage yesterday! When I noticed what he was doing, he was actually two squares (of NIC panel) off the floor! He also loves to 'talk' to the kitties and taunt them, hehe!

Flower...well, she's my boxing, grunting, honking goofball.

Harley thumps if you don't feed him quick enough or pet him first, hehe!

And from what I hear, Audrey has quite a big ol' helping of personality, too!

ROFLOL!!

So, yep...I'm up to my ears with spunkitude! And this isn't even counting the KITTIES' spunkitude! LOL!!

Rosie - we can just barely get Bo into a trance but the slightest movement, touch, anything and he's up and flipped back over. We've tried everything!~

Sounds like Fiver is almost identical to Tony in personality. Lovely sweet and snuggly but mess with his food and you might pull back a nub! LOL!

Well - Audrey just "earned" an hour or two of free run time.....you see......I was at the vet's today and they had some bows that were $1 per pair and....

Well...I'll just let you see....I may go back next week or the week after and buy her some of her own to take to California when she leaves...

and because I accidentally had it on video when I turned on the camera and pressed the button...

Oh - I have to add this...

Last night we had the litter out playing in the living room - the only one to jump up on the couch with us for a bit while we watched tv......was Audrey. She jumped up like 3 times and spent a minute or so with us each time...

Peg

Aww!! She's so beautiful!! I'm so partial to purple...but man, does she look elegant! She's even sitting like a little princess! :)

I'm so in love...

:inlove:

Thank you so so much for posting those pictures (and taking them), Peg...they're so gorgeous!!

maherwoman wrote:
Aww!! She's so beautiful!! I'm so partial to purple

First thought was uh oh they are purple Rosie will LOVE it! I was right. I think she does the name Audrey proud.

THose who don't know who she is or her beauty....

hepburn-audrey-audrey-hepburn-9906995.jpg

She sure does do the name proud, doesn't she?

I've loved Audrey Hepburn all my life...she's got to be the most beautiful woman in the world...

And I'm honored to now have a bun by her name...:)

I'm pretty sure my baby girl is proud to have the name, too...:D

I mean, if I've ever seen a bun proud of how beautiful she is....

DSCN2099.jpg

Latest posts

Back