You're HOW old?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age category do you fit into?

• I'm under 21

• I'm 21-29

• I'm a 30-something

• I'm 40+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Im 27

Personally I think it would be a good idea to add peoples ages into the profile box when you post, the one there <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I just think that with such a diverse age range on the forum it is best for everyone to understand what the age is of the person they are talking to so that they maintain appropriate comments etc...I know everyone is very congenial but sometimes I think age does become a factor that needs to be understood when reading someones post.

It is a good idea, go Alice!!! :)

I've got to say though a lot of the young people on this forum are quite mature for their age and have their heads screwed on. I could'nt believe the ages of most of them I thought they were a lot older.

I've been 17 for just over a month now.

I think the idea of putting one's age on the left side there is an interesting one, but I'm not sure how I would feel about it in the long run. Speaking from the perspective of a younger member, I can say that I am frequently surprised to learn the ages of other members, particularly ones who seem to be "wise beyond their years," at least, when it comes to rabbits.

I have frequently been in situations where I am physically standing next to someone (so my age is rather obvious) and sharing information and I find that I just don't get the same respect as I do when someone does not know my age. It's often hard for people who are older than my parents and know they are to accept the fact that, on certain subjects, I am more knowledgeable than they are.

Essentially what I am trying to say here is that while, yes, it is a good idea, I would e afraid that it would lead to a certain amount of age bias.

I've been married longer than most of you have been alive.....

Wow....now I really do feel old.

Peg

P.S. It will be 28 years on the 9th of August.....

TinysMom wrote:

Peg

I was alive, even if I was only 6 at the time. :)

TinysMom wrote:

Peg

OK....I can play with these rules!

We just celebrated our 25th.

And, Yes...I do have a cane...one with a really neat rabbit for a handle.
And I've got one of those picker-upper things, too!!

:biggrin2:

missyscove wrote:
I have frequently been in situations where I am physically standing next to someone (so my age is rather obvious) and sharing information and I find that I just don't get the same respect as I do when someone does not know my age. It's often hard for people who are older than my parents and know they are to accept the fact that, on certain subjects, I am more knowledgeable than they are.
This is very true, I would hate for people to undermine us 'younger' members, thinking we don't know as much about bunnies as they do, when in fact that is simply not true. I've met more rabbit-clueless adults in my time then teenagers or kids (not including this forum of course where everyone is pretty knowledgeable ;)).

I'm inclined to agree as well, a lot of people wounld'nt take advice from younger members if they saw their age.

So I take back my words for saying it was a good idea. :(

Bambi Sunshine wrote:
Im 27

Personally I think it would be a good idea to add peoples ages into the profile box when you post, the one there <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I just think that with such a diverse age range on the forum it is best for everyone to understand what the age is of the person they are talking to so that they maintain appropriate comments etc...I know everyone is very congenial but sometimes I think age does become a factor that needs to be understood when reading someones post.

Hmmm...when I began this thread I simply thought it might be fun to find out if any other over-40sout there, besides Sooska, would be willing to divulge...so I didn't feel so alone. I am totally comfortable with my age, and sometimes it feels good to share that comaraderie with people who can remember some of the same things you do (like when there was NO Disneyland :shock:).

It's so neat that this is a community of people from young teens to adults who all share the same love of rabbits. I have learned so much from so many people...some of them who are certainly young enough to be my children. Members like moominmoo, missycove, Haley, undergunfire, and Michaela (without whose help I would never have the cool avatar I do) are some of the first that come to mind when I think of young people who are so wise...so helpful...

Should we post our ages with our info? That's a good question. I can understand why some younger members might feel that their advice/knowledge might be disregarded and why some "more mature" (euphemism for older :biggrin2:) members might be reluctant to share their ages.

Age is a personal matter. And we want to make certain not to violate anyone's privacy. The internet can be a dangerous place, and some members do not wish to share any unnecessary personal info (like many of us do not list our actual home towns) with anyone who might log on.

So...

I think posting ages (or age ranges) could be fun and interesting if we 1) make certain it is absolutely voluntary; 2) only post our ages if we are going to be serious about it (no being born in 1906, JimD:nonono:); and 3) those of us who are "more mature" make a conscious effort to respect the words of our younger members...and encourage others to do the same.

Sorry for the long post...just thought I'd put my :twocentsin.

-Mary Ellen

(PS - Elllissian, I see you've updated the text on your avatar...it looks awesome!)

You don't look old, So there!

JimD wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Peg

OK....I can play with these rules!

We just celebrated our 25th.

And, Yes...I do have a cane...one with a really neat rabbit for a handle.
And I've got one of those picker-upper things, too!!

:biggrin2:

25 years old I will be 26 in September. I might as well be married. I have been with my BF for almost 8 years. He's 33. We both were really excited to go see Rattatouille earlier this week!

~Star~

Latest posts

Back