Your Rabbit Runs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
I think most pet rabbit owners let their rabbits have outdoor access if possible. I have two enclosures that my rabbits get out in a couple of times a week. Mine need some work on them but they're really big and allow the rabbits to carry out natural behaviour. I'd love to see your runs/enclosures, just for the nosey and maybe pick up some ideas along the way.

Here are mine, taken with my new digital camera :D

GEDC0024.jpg

This is the smaller run, it's usually occupied by Princess because she isn't as active as Thumper and doesn't tear around as much. You can see her in this picture.

GEDC0025.jpg

This is the bigger run, it's massive, it's usually occupied by Thumper because he really enjoys being outside and likes alot of space.

When my 4 were bonded they had a pen that was most of the size of the garden, save for the corners, etc. It looked like this:

Ok, I don't have pics to show the whole thing, but here's a video:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G590RkFwVao&feature=channel_page[/ame]

That's the pen as it was. They loved to run around and binky as you can see! It's huge- Steve is 6ft2 and could easily lie across there twice...

Now that they're unbonded I guess I might have 2 large pens when they can next go out (our garden was flooded and completely soggy), which will still be fairly big, and then just rotate Mouse and Chalk, Barney and Snowy and Dotty, or maybe make 3 pens.... I can't wait for them to go outside and run around again when it's nicer!

This is my rabbit exercise 'system'. It has a yard for each of the rabbits. The spaces are about 2x3 NIC panels, and for the EL's they have bigger areas. Eventually, we'd like to get nicer and larger runs, and have one for each of the rabbits.

HalfdayFun002.jpg

We would love for it to be a huge dog kennel with tall fence-walls and doors at each end and then have as many runs as possible for the rabbits, with a minimum of the pens being5x5.

Emily

mouse_chalk: Your run is lovely and really big, looks like the bunnies enjoy it.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry: hehe your run system is really cool, it's great you try and give your rabbits run time since most breeders don't.

I can't let them run around at my apartment because we have buckthorn plants everywhere. I've read that buckthorn is poisonous for buns, so it's hard to find an area that is clean of it.

When I lived at my parent's house, I used to put Toby in a small dog harness and hook him to the zip-line that my parent's terriers used to run around on. The line was basically a thin, metal cable that was attached to the side of our garage and to a large tree in the back yard. Attached to that horizontal cable was another thin cable (insulated kind) that hung down from it and had a leash-clip on the end of it. I used to hook Toby's harness to that and let him hop around. He didn't like the outside very much, though.

irishbunny wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry: hehe your run system is really cool, it's great you try and give your rabbits run time since most breeders don't.

Thanks, Grace! :) I love letting my rabbits out; I enjoy watching them be themselves....although, the mischeif part I could do without. It's a bit harder to let them get exercise now, since we have a foot of snow, but me and my sister have set up an indoor pen (I do have pictures, on my laptop, will put up on Sunday) and we switch rabbits in it every two hours. This allows them more exercise time, more room then their outdoor pens (especially if they are clever enough to escape *cough*Magic*cough*). and more exercising weekly.

When we go back to school from Winter Break, we're going to allow each rabbit a day to run 6 hours (a full school day) in the pen. That's a lot more exercise than normal, and they have toys, hidey places, feed, hay and water. They're going to be so happy :biggrin2:

I've been meaning to post earlier but it took me ages to get around to taking the pictures. Here they are at last:
Enclosed run at the bottom of the garden. We can't see it from the house so it's extra secure
P1010019.jpg

At the top of the garden we have three other runs. A large one that isn't all that safe because some of them can jump it. The smaller one has a net over it and then there is the triangular "bad bunny hutch" (quite break out proof:))
P1010001-1.jpg

Benny in the tiny run: "Let me out!"
P1010002.jpg

Coco checking if benny is in
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/samannster/P10100
The largest run is the garden itself - bunny paradise - Coco and Magic have free run of it most of the time
[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/samannster/P1010025-1.jpg
Coco and magic eating what's left of the vegetation:(
P1010026-2.jpg

I wish I could have a run outside, but the new house that we moved to has these weird cactus things on the ground that spread out their needles to other parts of the lawn....so I don't think it would be safe.

Latest posts

Back