You own a rabbit?? Ewwww!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funinthesunwithbun wrote:
Thanks, I have already had a post I made removed from a thread, so not sure if I am welcome here to tell you the truth! Only opinions that are positive are welcome here I see, as of course everyone who owns a rabbit must be perfect no matter what strange ideas they come up with about bunny care.
dont worry. same thing happened to me when i first joined. u quickly learn that its better that way. negativey spreads fast and is unpleasant for everyone. welcome to the forum, you are very welcomed here, trust me!!

Spring wrote:
:D. Forgot to say, Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here.. lots of crazy bunny folks ;).
LOL! That's the good news and the bad news. :lol:

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
funinthesunwithbun wrote:
Thanks, I have already had a post I made removed from a thread, so not sure if I am welcome here to tell you the truth! Only opinions that are positive are welcome here I see, as of course everyone who owns a rabbit must be perfect no matter what strange ideas they come up with about bunny care.
dont worry. same thing happened to me when i first joined. u quickly learn that its better that way. negativey spreads fast and is unpleasant for everyone. welcome to the forum, you are very welcomed here, trust me!!
Really ILTego? The Mods hardly ever have to move threads, maybe once a month if that. (You guys must be special). :biggrin

Seriously, people just naturally don't seem to get into 'flaming' :stikpokehere too much like in other forums, it's really nice.:haloMaybe hugging bunnies makes any anger dissipate faster. The epitome of "warm and fuzzy." :bunnyheart

And I totally agree with your answer, thanks for understanding!

And funinthesunwithbun, "perfect" is also an opinion.We just try to be really tolerant of everybody else, and we focus on the bunnies, not the posters (assuming their bunnies can't type). It's not the poor bunny's fault that he's stuck with an obnoxious bunny slave.We try and stay quiet :lipsrsealed, focused and above all helpful. Westate our opinions calmlyand don't allow disagreements to escalate. :surrender

(I hope you have noticed that we're one of the few rabbit forums where the breeders and the rescue people get along, and opinions in those fields are pretty much polar opposites).

Remember, the key word is 'tolerance'. But this isn't the thread for this discussion. :threadhijacked

If anybody wants to continue this, please start another thread! (You can always cut n' paste text from this one).

sas :)

Haven't read through this post for a couple days, so bear with the old responses...hehe!!

I know what you mean and agree completely. My husband wasn't quite a HUGE animal-lover when I met him, but he is a very loving person, and respected my large love for animals, so okayed getting a kitten back when we found out my (now-ex) boss' female kitties had gotten pregnant from the local tom cat (they weren't very nice to their kitties, but they were a couple of healthy girls...I spent more time loving them than they did...sadly enough). The girls are spayed now (thanks to my taking the time to take them to and from the vet...sheesh), thank goodness, but anyway...

When we found out the girls were pregnant, he agreed with me that it would be good for me to have an animal again (I hadn't had cats for quite a while, and we'd just moved in together), so we agreed to spend lots of time with the girls while they were pregnant, making sure they were well-fed and loved, and when the kittens were born, I spent lots of time with the litters learning their personalities and if they were human-interested, etc. The first litter didn't seem to interested in me, so we waited for the second to arrive (which only took about a week), and met beautiful Sunny (who quickly made sure we knew Hobbes was part of the deal in bringing her home). They are two of the absolute sweetest, most well-behaved kitties I've ever had...really special little beasties!!

It took my husband a bit of time to baby-talk with them, but he sure did eventually! Then when I saw Maisie at my daughter's school (a class-mate of hers brought the litter over), I knew she was the bun for me!! Took just one night of convincing for him to agree to bringing her home, and he was baby-talking with her the NIGHT she came home!! Same thing when we rescued Flower!

He's not particularly an animal-lover, persay, but he has nothing against them either. He respects and loves my love for them, and though he wouldn't normally have even a single animal, he really loves ours, and has really enjoyed having them here with us. He's never opposed to doing ANYTHING with them, and I've caught him actually playing with them when I wasn't around! My husband is a true gem...he wasn't particularly interested in animals before, but now with them having been around for a couple years, his heart has officially turned to mush about them (even though, just now talking to him about this on the phone, he swears that's not the case...hehe!!).

So, no, he's not the biggest animal-lover out there, but he loves me, and we've worked together to create an environment that makes both of us happy. He's never, ever given me the impression that he doesn't like the animals (quite the contrary), and has never made any antagonistic comments about them or threatened them to have to go, or anything close. Though he's not as in love with them as I am, he most certainly is in love with them. :)

I would have never married him had I not seen the potential there for him to be okay with animals. :) It's just never fun to be in love with someone that doesn't respect EVERYTHING about you.

Sorry for the long post, guys...hehe!

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Allison, you read my mind! I am the same way -- if my animals don't love him and he doesn't love my animals, well good bye him! My animals come first and they were here first so they have seniority. It's like if your a single parent and dating someone, would you date/marry someone who doesn't like your kid? After all, they are my furkids.

I wouldn't, either, Hun. In fact, my family makes those comments in general, and since moving out of my mother's house three years ago, I haven't invited a single family member (other than my dad, who is an amazing person) over to my home. I made a pact with myself in surviving all those horrible things they said to me, that I wouldn't allow it in my home, under any circumstance. And I let it be known, too.

Why, just Monday night, we had friends over (seven people total, including me and my husband), and a couple of them started being rather mean to another friend of mine (he's younger, and they I guess feel they can push him around), and I told them that wasn't okay in my house. I told them that it's a major rule in our house not to invalidate one another, and that I wouldn't allow them back if it continued. Point-blank, end of story. They understood, apologized, and I hope that it completely stauches it in the future. :)

So, I know what you mean, and am RIGHT there with ya! :)

binkies wrote:
My family is always making hurtfull remarks about them being unsanitary and me needing to get rid of them. It hurts so much that I wont invite them over anymore.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
dont worry. same thing happened to me when i firstjoined. u quickly learn that its better that way.negativey spreads fast and is unpleasant foreveryone. welcome to the forum, you arevery welcomed here, trust me!!
ummmmm.....Ditto!
:whistling

heehee, Neil thought my bunny obsession was'odd' when I first got Cookie, then when I got Misty and moved in withNeil, I would catch him cuddling her all the time. Then, whenI KNEW he was addicted like me - was when HE suggested getting anotherbunny (Charlie).

When people get to know how awesome rabbits are, they are irresistable.

_________
Nadia

This thread reminds me of how I first gotinterested in house rabbits. My neice Amanda got one a a pet store andI first thought she was nuts. But as I got used to it being around, ANDshe was taking it back to college with her, I just had to have one ofmy own. Now I just can't imagine not having mylittlebuddies.:)

I get the bunnies are boring comments all the time too, until someone actaully spends time at my house!

Then of course there's the food comments. One of my mates ignores thefact that the bunny's name is hammy and insists on calling him "lunch".He and my brother once ran around trying to catch the buunny and put itin this big pot. as a joke of course, they'd never hurt him, but i waspretty mad! they are no longer allowed to touch him. ever. :)

I think I would have picked HIM up and put himin the pot! Or bashed him with a wooden spoon, my personal weapon ofchoice. When my little brother was three, Theodore was already overten, and slowing down, much to my brother's delight. Once, I cameupstairs to find him holding the calm little guy down in the bathtub,with running water, saying he was going to give him a bath. Theo didn'tknow enough to fight back. I had been cooking at the time, so I had awooden spoon in my hand. I was so mad that I rapped him on the backwith it, lol.

Tango wrote:
Then of course there's the food comments. One of my mates ignores thefact that the bunny's name is hammy and insists on calling him "lunch".He and my brother once ran around trying to catch the buunny and put itin this big pot. as a joke of course, they'd never hurt him, but i waspretty mad! they are no longer allowed to touch him. ever. :)

With one of our bunnies named "MooShu", you can imagine the comments I hear :disgust:

Try coming back with something like, "I used to think those jokes werefunny until I saw Night of the Lepus. Did you know that MooShu was anextra in that movie?":nasty

BUNNY-in-a-Stewpot!!!! There's a pic floating around that a good demonstration of that!

Rabbits are smelly?!
Who ever says rabbits are smelly - doesn't take good care ofthem. Rabbits are one of the least animals that will stink, if you takecare of them well, such as cleaning out their litter box and cleanout the interior and outterior of the cage every week.
Some people I hear are like "they make a mess and rattle around intheir cage." - That usually happens when they are young and new to thecage. I don't like it either, but you have to give them time. Somepeople are like, "they poop too much." - And their point? Rabbits arewell known for their rapid pooping. Any one should know that beforegetting a rabbit. Some are like "they chew way to much." - Bun-Bun hasa discusting habit on tearing at the carpet and chewing on wires. Butyou can teach them not to do so by disapline or moving them into anarea where there is no carpet and wires, like the bathroom or utilityroom. Put a litter box in there as well. They know were to poop andpee. When Bun used to run around the house when he was a baby, he'dallways go to the cat litter box when he needed to poop or pee.
And alot of people are like, "their boring animals, they don't do anything." - Well, that expected. You can't expect a rabbit to fetch aball or chase a mouse toy - it's not what their body and nature aredisighned for. But you can play Tug-Of-War whith them whith a toiletpaper roll or roll up a ball of news paper and he'll roll it arondwhith his nose and scratch and chew at it. They also like to throwthings. There are plenty of toys out in your pet stores you and yourrabbit can have fun whith. The "Flip N' Toss" - Bun-Bun's favourite!!

Yeah I get that at school.People can'tunderstand why I love rabbits so much and why I don't have a dog. Itreally annoys me.:X I don't tell them their pets are stupid. Everyoneis entitled to their own opinion.

I've never had that. Lots of people haverabbits, my close friend has 6 (in his family, they're his Mum'sreally) and so whenever he comes round he sits and strokes William. Myfriends all love him and want to hold him/cuddle him etc. I get theoccasional "another animal" jokes because i've always got a small furrysomewhere, but nothing against the actual animal.

You should consider yourself blessed. Mostpeople wouldn't bother giving a rabbit the time of day, and theydefinitely wonder why someone would want to have one as a pet(especially in the house). I wish my friends were so understanding! Afew are, but the rest probably think I'm crazy.

JimD wrote:
ilovetegocalderon wrote:
dont worry. same thing happened to me when i firstjoined. u quickly learn that its better that way.negativey spreads fast and is unpleasant foreveryone. welcome to the forum, you arevery welcomed here, trust me!!
ummmmm.....Ditto!
:whistling
:threadhijacked Hehehe, i can keep a secret if you can!

edit - oh and dont get me started on the food comments. theyare sooooooo old and so tiresome and unoriginal and annoying and so onand so on. :gun:

here rabbits are food.

thats it! food or target practice! I get very strange looks owning rabbits

but if you guys think YOU get odd looking talking about your rabbits,try talking about your 4 pet RATS. people here that know i have ratswill not come near me because they think i can give them a diseasesince i have pet rats.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean! We had a trioof ratties, and people were really freaked. It took 10 years toconvince my mom to let me get them, and then she still wouldn't even goNEAR them.

Ya, I hate it when people mention that rabbits are food.
My brother hunts rabbits and talks about it just to annoy me,cause every one who knows me knows that I'm a bun fanatic. But that'show older brothers are.....
People in school would underrate the rabbit's additude andpower. And think "oh, their just little skittish creatures." Try sayingthat when you're bitten, kicked, or scratched when you don't handlethem right. My sister hates Bun-Bun after he bit her one day, she'sallways like "Cocoa is so much better than that fat stupid Bun-Bun." -Well, Sis, that's what happens when you decide to poke an aggressiverabbit whith a stick.
My dad's like, "Rabbits are more of a wild animal, their not supposedto be put in a cage." - LOL!! Dogs are ancestors of wolves - guess yourprecious dogs need to be put out in the wild as well.
Some people also like, "Ewww, look at those new born bunnies!! They have no hair, how discusting!!"

Latest posts

Back