You own a rabbit?? Ewwww!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never gotten those comments on my rabbits but I have for the geese and TONS for the goats. :mad:I usually have to take a moment to calm down before I launch into a fifteen minute long monolog on how goats are the exact opposite of what people think.

More people in world drink goat milk than cow milk. Does and wethers don't smell at all, bucks do, but mostly just around breeding time to attract the does. They ARE NOT stupid!!!

If you take a moment to watch the goats you can actually *see* them think. And they don't run around jumping on cars and going through fences...if they do, that's owner error.

And you can use goats for driving carts. They're like miniature horses to me! They're just like any other livestock but with a bad reputation based off of bad owners and breeders.

It really gets old having to deal with people like this, all the goat breeders and people who have dairy goats really get tired of these comments!

Oh, and please don'tcall them nannies or billies! It's does and bucks!!!;)

Ellie

no 1 says that to me but i guess ppl just wanna be funny

they call my chi's rats tho and that makes me mad as hell:mad:

I've gotten all sorts of comments. But a lot of people start asking questions like if they're litter trained, if they sit on the couch with me, etc. Before I moved, there was one cashier at a grocery store that knew who I was because I'd be buying tons of veggies on the way home from work at 7 am. She'd ask which veggies I ate too and which ones I only bought for the bunnies. I've also ended up with a rabbit owner in line behind me who started asking me what veggies to feed her rabbits (you mean they can eat more than carrots and pellets?). Cashiers give you the wierdest look when your only purchases are baby gas meds, Pedialyte, and cilantro and you tell them it's for a rabbit.:D

James and I are both kind of like walking house rabbit advertisements. He grew up with outdoor rabbit pets and raised meat rabbits. He loves to tell people how much more interesting rabbits are when they're inside, and how they become part of the family like a cat or dog. He's also very proud of the bunny room.

I have gotten quite a few hasenpfeffer "jokes" and some people seriously ask me if we eat them when they die. I always ask if they eat their cat or dog when they die and I tell them it's the same concept. I don't let it bug me though, because it's the culture they grew up in. When I was a kid, most of the people with rabbits were raising them for meat and/or 4H and that's all a lot of people here know.

Eve wrote:
Spring wrote:
I know, I guess because they have this dumb false reputation people think of them as boring animals that sit in cages all day and do nothing.
Thatseems to bethe attitude most people I have come across have about rabbits here.

Rabbits as indoor house petsdon't seemtoo common in Australia. I've had people in pet storesadvise me that my bunnies would be better off being kept outside in a rediculously tiny hutch because they "prefer it that way".

If I kept my precious bunnies in such an environment, I wouldnever havegotten to know their unique personalities and how special they are.
Ialso agree,house rabbits in Australia just doesnt seem to common,but i felt a bit better when i had to take an x box game cordto the shop a few days agoto get fixed because some little bunny..cough.sunshine.cough..thought she would taste test the cord and chewed it,i said to the guy..'oh..my naughty little bunny chewed my sons cord,and he laughed and said 'oh we had someone in the day before,umm..their bunny chewed theirs as well lol'i had to have a little giggle as bunnies are just darn rascals lol.

Wascally wittle wabbits tsk tsk tsk

cheryl

I don't know, I keep all of mine outside and I know all of their personalities really well. I know their quirks, I know what toys they each like, I know which are throwers, which are diggers, and which are chewers, I know what veggies they like, what part of the hay they each prefer, and what treats they like. I could even tell you which corner of the hutcheach of my bonded pair uses to go to the bathroom.But then again, I spend at least 6 hours outside with them daily.

I took my Blue with me to our localpet store yesterday, i have one of the bags for small dogs and blue loves to go places with me. I had a lady in the store was like ohhh let me see your dog i was like umm she's a rabbit. She said something along the same lines couldn't believe i'd take my rabbit with me to a pet store and she couldn't believe they alow me bring it in the store. ???? she can bring her dog in but she didn't think it was ok for my rabbit to come in.

On another noteit upsetme that I can't find a good place to buy things for your buns. I have to go to like 3 different places. The feed store all they sell is my food, i get the litter at petsmart, and my hay online. Makes me want to start my own business a petstore for small animals they get such a shaft.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I don't know, I keep all of mine outside and I know all of their personalities really well. I know their quirks, I know what toys they each like, I know which are throwers, which are diggers, and which are chewers, I know what veggies they like, what part of the hay they each prefer, and what treats they like. I could even tell you which corner of the hutcheach of my bonded pair uses to go to the bathroom.But then again, I spend at least 6 hours outside with them daily.
Same here, I spend just as much time with my rabbits (who live outdoors) that I spend with my cat (who lives indoor/outdoor via catflap). Infact I probably spend more time with the bunnies because my cat is asleep for most of the day!;)Just because some rabbits live outdoors doesn't mean they get less attention, just as just because some rabbits live indoors they get more attention. How much attention a rabbit gets depends oneach individualowner.:)

Its not that common in Ireland to have rabbits as indoor pets or too care for them properly at all. I get quite a few remarks at school when I tell them I have aa rabbit three guinea-pigs and a dog which I take care of by myself but then I just think of how boring ther lifes must be without animals:mad:

My family is ok about the bun.:bunnydance:My mum only gets mad when she has to clean pee of my duvet cover after the bunny had an 'accident' after escaping from his cage. My dad is quite nice and even says hello to Coinín most mornings. And my sister just gets mad when he tries to hide behind her bed and she has to 'redecorate' her room to get him out.;)

I haven't come across many people who own rabbits, and usually the first question I get is "Do they smell?" They actually smell rather pleasant, better than a dog. Also, when I first got my two bunnies, my brother stated that it was 'weird' for a 19 year old to own rabbits, thinking it was the sort of thing a loser or a child would have. Stupid idiot.

Haha...I always think it's funny when I hear people say that bunnies stink. I just tell them that our kitties (with their litterbox) smell MUCH worse than our bunnies. All I (and anyone that's ever been in our house) ever smell of the buns is their hay! What goofs...I truly think more people should think before they speak, and experience it for themselves before forming an opinion. :)

Maisie and Flower have to do a Happy Bunny Dance for all those people they DON'T have to live with that think bunnies are smelly!! LOL!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance:

Hi,

I get really bad reactions when I tell people I own 2 rats!

Everyone in my family including some of my friends except my neice & my husband think I am so strange that I own 2 rats. They are fine about me owning 2 rabbits. My 2 rats are the friendliest small pets, they are so affectionate always like to be petted, they love new people & theres so many great things I can say about rats as pets, the only thing is they need to have their cage & their hammocks & beds cleaned more often then a rabbit, otherwise rats can really have a bad odor from their urine.

JP

i brought my bunny into Walgreens once and everyone thought he was the cutest thing! it was really fun to see every ones reaction.

i went out to eat with my parents one night and there was a woman at a table next to us who ordered Broiled Rabbit, and i was horrified! she even topped it off by asking the waiter if the tail was included!! :shock:

xoxo,
~*~ liz ~*~

We have family visiting from the UK (Manchester), and yesterday my mom was going on about my bunnies to them - telling themNeil and Ihave 2 cute little ones and they are spoiled rotten because they have their own bedroom at our house.

Well my uncles says "It's such a good idea to have a rabbit room - everyone should have one. Then when you need dinner, you always have some running around the spare bedroom".

Typical. I just rolled my eyes. So original.

I used to get so sick of that kind of nonsense when I had my dutch rabbits (and yes, hello, I am new here!). My wife even objected to them so strongly that we ended up re-homing them. Now that I am single again I look forward to having rabbits back in life.

I get that sometimes too but jokingly, and it does get annoying!

The man down the road owns a riding school and he shoots rabbits that come a foot into his farm. When I said to him my rabbit died he asked me how old she was, and i said 11yrs old. He was so shocked and stunned that a rabbit could actually live that long, as he shoots any rabbit any age :(They probually dont get to the age of 1 around his farm.

i cant stand people who shoot rabbits for the sake of their horses getting a leg caught down one of their holes. They would rather kill a rabbit than let their precious horse get injured and die.

No offence to horse owners, my sister has a horse. But I really dont see the point in shooting them. You should check every day for holes in horses fields. They say there are too many rabbits but thats just not on!

In the news lately a man and his son was out shooting rabbits, they shot one, the boy picked it up, and the boy died. Because the rabbit had a disease that humans could get.Im just glad that they shot that rabbit so no more bunnies can get the disease! Ofcourse I am sorry for the mans lose, but its cruel shooting rabbits!

Anyway sorry if this has gone a bit off topic to the post! But I just hate farmers that despise rabbits, all rabbits pets or wild. They just think they are pests.

Well I can see the burrows being an issue and I can't say I blame the farmer for doing that. We have that issue here with gophers and I think on average 7-8 horses a year hurt themselves in the holes, most of the time they just came up lame but if a horse breaks it's leg, it's quite often a fatal injury. To farmers, a rabbit is a pest, and I can see that especially when your talking large vet bills and losses due to horses stepping in holes.

It's hard for me to say what I like more -- horses or rabbits and I'd never hurt a rabbit myself, I'd never want a horse getting hurt either. It's like a person leaving an exposed electrical wire on the floor when they know their rabbit will chew it. You take precautions to prevent harm to your rabbits and horse lovers do the same to protect their horses.

There's a huge rabbit overpopulation in a city near me (Thanks to the people who want their rabbits to be 'free', and let domestic rabbits live in the wild). Up to 5000 domestic rabbits, well now feral rabbits are terrorizing and destroying crops, and the councillor is saying to shoot them with pellet guns, which will only injure them- not kill them. I am totally against shooting them with pellet guns, as it will only hurt them and have no effect on the problem.

I have mixed feelings about this. There is no wayall theserabbits could be rehomed- probably because it 's like rehoming acotton tailand the numbers are so large. If they're going to shoot them, atleast shoot to kill not to harm. If they do shoot them (not the nicest thing, but there really isn't another option to solve this problem) it should be done the right way. It's sad, but this might be an eye opener for people who think 'releasing a rabbit outside to free them' is a good option.People needto stop buying rabbits on impulse, and people need to stop releasing them into the wild!

If thecity mayor doesn't want this tohappen again, they should put a ban on rabbits being sold in petstores- because this is probably were these feral rabbits started.

:soapboxAlright, just had to rant a bit.

*growls* Oh what a horrible person! *gets held back from attacking person*

Rabbits are not dirt,smelly,stupid,or anything else like that!rabbit's are very clean creatures their smarter than any human.If I ever see that person....nvm

like a few months ago I was in school and some HORRIBLE BRAT OF A ROACH A.K.A. a kid said that a rabbit got run over by a car and it was funny,they also said that a only good rabbit is a dead rabbit...I ran at him literary growling and snarling at him the teacher stopped me from killing from,and hate to sound crazy but if I got the chance yeah I would.

At least I scared him he cried,Ha. you ever see that person again ask them where they live and send me over,I'll tell em how truley DEAD WRONG they are.

People do, and will always have different view points about rabbits- no reason to kill them :D.

Most people say stuff out of ignorance- not knowing any better. Like, if someone had said turantulas are cuddley and great pets- I wouldn't have known any better but to say "Spiders.. creepy". If they know about rabbits, they are less likely to judge them.

Latest posts

Back