Xpen suggestions?

• Thread starter Sophie's Humble Servant
  • Start date
Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sophie's Humble Servant

I need a temporary pen. Sophie's condo will be in transport to our new home and she will be without it for 2 days.

I looked on Amazon and saw this one made by Midwest but I'm not sure if it's suitable or not because I can't tell how big the spaces are between the grids.

It says it's 61cm (24") by 91cm(36"). It seems kind of small in my opinion.

Has anyone transported one of these pens in airplane cargo? It folds up but I wonder how durable it would be? I've seen how they throw stuff around at the airport :S

image.jpg

24" wide by 36" tall is the size of each panel x 6 or 8 panels depending on that model ;) So you could make a 4'x4' square with it.
The grid spacings appear to be normal for just about every other x-pen out there.
The pens themselves are quite durable. I toss mine around like crazy. Your biggest problem with it going into cargo is the weight. Their HEAVY!
I would just tie some string around the 4 edges to ensure it holds closed during transport and you should be fine.

Oh ok thanks! I thought it was only 24 inches across! Lol

First try posting on my phone here is mine first setup I think I like it better as the basic 4 X 4 and big pet stores have them if you want to see one all folded up

20140407_193711.jpg

I have that Midwest X-Pen from Amazon. I have a Holland Lop, a little more than 4 lbs. and have no issues with him getting through spaces.

EDITED: I may have misunderstood your question. Each panel is 2' wide. It makes a 4x4' pen.

Great thanks for the info. I think I'll probably just go ahead and order it from Amazon then:)

My concern would be taking it on the plane with you. X-pens can be heavy, so you are paying for that. The size is also bigger than 'normal' luggage, so you may have to pay for oversized baggage as well.
As you needing the pen for when you arrive to before you leave? If it is when you arrive, you could get it shipped to your new place. If you need it for before you leave, you might be able to borrow one from someone for a couple days.

My concern would be taking it on the plane with you. X-pens can be heavy, so you are paying for that. The size is also bigger than 'normal' luggage, so you may have to pay for oversized baggage as well.
As you needing the pen for when you arrive to before you leave? If it is when you arrive, you could get it shipped to your new place. If you need it for before you leave, you might be able to borrow one from someone for a couple days.

Whether I need it or not depends on if my husband has any delays while driving our belonging to the new house. He has two and a half days to get there(before I arrive with Sophie) which is plenty of time...as long as nothing happens...you never know with these uhaul trucks.

If he gets there on time, I'll just leave the Xpen with his parents and then the next time he drives up, he can bring it with him.

Otherwise I don't mind paying extra baggage fees. This whole move is going to be costly, what's a few more dollars lol

So I ended up finding this pen at a local pet pharmacy. It's made by Precision. It's silver zinc construction, seems quite durable and makes a 5 foot in diameter, octagonal pen. It's 30 inches high. I paid $70 CAN. It will meet the weight limit criteria if I have to transport it by air. I think it will work great as Sophie's temporary living accommodation:)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back