Xpen ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407087598.647154.jpg

Hi! I need some advice on what xpen to get for my holland lop bun. It will be in a small area so I don't want it very big and I would like the sides tall enough so he can't jump out. I found this one on amazon, will it work? Or what do you guys suggest? Do the sides come apart so I can make it the size I want? If this won't work then links to a different one would be great ;)

It would depend on if you think your rabbit would jump out. I would prefer a 30" tall pen myself. I do have a 24" one for the few that aren't apt to jump out.
That pen doesn't look like it the panels would come apart easily, but the connector things can be pried off if you really want.

He's a little over 3 lbs so I'm thinking he won't be able to jump out of it. Is there one that you can take the sides apart?

You can always make a lid for it too. I would say just draping a blanket over it would do the trick; you could also cut a piece of fabric/mesh to size and use binder clips to secure it around the edges.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Trex-30-Playpen-for-Dogs-Eight-24-x-30-High-Panels/29762647

I would personally suggest this one- it's the same price as the one you were looking at, has 30" high panels, and the shipping is free :) I just bought one myself for my flemish baby. He managed to jump out onto a nearby chair, so I put a sheet over it at night.

I don't think the panels come apart, but you can rearrange the shape to fit just about any area. I've currently got it in a square, but you could also make it a rectangle, or octagon.

I have this pen for my piggies and Bambi. He jumped out! He is not a vey big bunny though but I think It may be alright for your bun. You can buy them with covers like mine has.

If you look at the photo of the pen you posted, you'll see 3 dark hooks to the right of the panel with the door. Those hooks are holding the pen together. Otherwise it is just one long line of panels.

All you would need to do to make it smaller is pull the end panel (or panels) inside the other panels. By overlapping panels, the pen can be as small as a 3-panel triangle (which of course would be way too small).

x-pens can be figured into any configuration. Here I used one as a temporary cage at a hotel. You can count all 8 panels. But I could have made it smaller . If I took that one panel on the back left (the hooks are in that corner) and put that panel in front of the panel against the wall, then the cage size would have been smaller.

TEMPORARY HOTEL CAGE

100_8360.jpg

If you look at the photo of the pen you posted, you'll see 3 dark hooks to the right of the panel with the door. Those hooks are holding the pen together. Otherwise it is just one long line of panels.

All you would need to do to make it smaller is pull the end panel (or panels) inside the other panels. By overlapping panels, the pen can be as small as a 3-panel triangle (which of course would be way too small).

x-pens can be figured into any configuration. Here I used one as a temporary cage at a hotel. You can count all 8 panels. But I could have made it smaller . If I took that one panel on the back left (the hooks are in that corner) and put that panel in front of the panel against the wall, then the cage size would have been smaller.

TEMPORARY HOTEL CAGE

Awesome! Thanks for the great info :) Which x-pen would you suggest me to get then? I'm thinking it should be 30" tall?

Last edited:
I think 30" would be a good height. Definitely not any shorter. Some here on RO say that 30" is also too short. Some rabbits are more avid jumpers for sure (or climbers!). But I've used the 30" height for years and with many different rabbits. Personally, I've never had a rabbit go over a 30" height.

The following pen is the one I use that is in the photo:

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Black-E-Coat-Exercise-Pen/dp/B000H904WI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373854698&sr=8-1&keywords=midwest+exercise+pen
Just be sure to click on the 30" height option (the link may default to the 24").

I also have this exercise pen from Petsmart. (It isn't kept with the rest of their pens. It is usually kept in the small pets section.)
http://www.petsmart.com//WFS/PETUS/...-0?green=5ECD1902-E3DA-5835-A027-4924AA028E00

This one is not as thick and sturdy as the Midwest Pen. However it is much lighter in weight which can be a plus too. The other potential advantage is that because there are fewer cross bars, the sides cannot be climbed up. It is also a bit smaller since each panel is 18" wide instead of 24." (Height is 29")

Last edited by a moderator:
Back