X pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini_Rex

Reaction score
Hey! I was thinking about getting this x pen for my bun and adding to it as needed.

It's heavy so it shouldn't be able to be knocked over and tall (meant for large dogs) so it can't be jumped over. Opinion?

Got any brands of bunny proof matts? I have a wood floor.

Pic of Rocket's face before climbing out to explore for the first time! 😍
He doesn't seem to mind the hard floor and even binkied and zoomied in his current x pen. I just want to offer something better. He seems to be easy to please.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...1687981731&sprefix=,aps,171&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

Attachments

• 20230628_082651.jpg
    20230628_082651.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230628_082636.jpg
    20230628_082636.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 1
I chose the heavier-duty version when I got my rabbits: https://www.amazon.com/FXW-Rollick-Playpen-Designed-Camping/dp/B08ML6TD2N/

I haven't tried the one you posted, so I can't compare... but the heavier one I got was more than sufficient, and likely overkill.

However, one advantage I found with the heavy-duty type: Two connected panels at around a 90 degree angle make for great standing barriers to single doorways. I can swing then to open/close easily as I enter/exit the room, and the rabbits can't. (Note this is with carpet; they may move easier if one has hard floors.)

Attachments

• DSCF0500.JPG
    DSCF0500.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The one you chose seems fine. I've used the Midwest brand which are heavier (had a 48" and 36"). I've also had a lighter one from Petsmart or Petco. It's really a matter of personal preference (which you may not know until you try it out).

One thing you may want to consider since you're putting it on solid flooring is potential scratching. I'm pretty sure the midwest style pens would scratch. The one @samoth linked looks like it might be less likely to scratch the floor. At least it appears from the photo that only the ends (upright frame part) of each panel touch the floor, unlike the other pens where the entire panel bottom is on the floor.

When deciding how to set it up (whichever pen you decide upon), bear in mind that typically rabbits are more likely to bite on and pull the pen (rather than push it away). Carpet is great for minimizing that pulling or pushing.

If he's not a carpet chewer, an area rug with low pile could work as a flooring.

Ha! Your bun squishing their face between the bars. Rocket has started chewing on the current x pen bars to explore more. ( might have let him out of the carrier on the floor after vet visit to give him free roam.) Now he wants out all the time. He still binkied and zoomied in his current x pen once he was brave enough to roam around outside of his cage.

The one you chose seems fine. I've used the Midwest brand which are heavier (had a 48" and 36"). I've also had a lighter one from Petsmart or Petco. It's really a matter of personal preference (which you may not know until you try it out).

One thing you may want to consider since you're putting it on solid flooring is potential scratching. I'm pretty sure the midwest style pens would scratch. The one @samoth linked looks like it might be less likely to scratch the floor. At least it appears from the photo that only the ends (upright frame part) of each panel touch the floor, unlike the other pens where the entire panel bottom is on the floor.

When deciding how to set it up (whichever pen you decide upon), bear in mind that typically rabbits are more likely to bite on and pull the pen (rather than push it away). Carpet is great for minimizing that pulling or pushing.

If he's not a carpet chewer, an area rug with low pile could work as a flooring.
Good to know. I'll wait until he's neutered to get that stuff. Yes, he already pulls on his current x pen's bars. I'm so scared he'll break his teeth! I kept trying to get him to stop today but a bun is gonna do what a bun is gonna do. It was a good day for him though. He played for a full 5 hours! Happy bun. The x pen he currently has is definitely more for a ginue pig, but he's happy with that. He'll definitely do more binkies and zoomies in the bigger pen. I can't wait!
Do you know where to get a rabbit friendly rug? I don't care if it gets pee'd on. I don't want our new wood floors getting destroyed from the pen. An insurance claim paid for the flooring. (Burst water pipe while we were in another state on xmas vacation).

Good to know. I'll wait until he's neutered to get that stuff. Yes, he already pulls on his current x pen's bars. I'm so scared he'll break his teeth! I kept trying to get him to stop today but a bun is gonna do what a bun is gonna do. It was a good day for him though. He played for a full 5 hours! Happy bun. The x pen he currently has is definitely more for a ginue pig, but he's happy with that. He'll definitely do more binkies and zoomies in the bigger pen. I can't wait!
Do you know where to get a rabbit friendly rug? I don't care if it gets pee'd on. I don't want our new wood floors getting destroyed from the pen. An insurance claim paid for the flooring. (Burst water pipe while we were in another state on xmas vacation).
You're right to worry about dental/mouth damage from chewing and pulling on pen bars. Attach some cardboard (if he doesn't eat that) or blankets or acrylic sheets to the sides of the pen where he chews. Look into stable matting for floor.

There are clear plastic pen panels that can be used. These are especially good for buns that are prone to bar chewing, which is important to prevent as it could result in dental injury to the incisors as Diane R mentioned, or if you have a bun inclined to climbing pen panels to get out, this will prevent that. You could also make your own enclosure with plexiglass, if that's something that you need and it works for this situation.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2022-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.103444/
1688047810074.png

A cut of textured vinyl is waterproof and will protect the floor underneath. You do usually need to place the edges outside of the enclosure to prevent chewing on them, or have it covered with a wood board or protective chew resistant edging. Foam tiles (for non chewers) is another option, though a waterproof sheet under the tiles is best, in case of urine accidents seeping through the seams (I used mat tape to seal the seams as well). Roll of rubber exercise equipment flooring, washable dog pee pad, low pile minimally abrasive area rug, are options as well. What to use will depend on how much of a chewer a bun is, how well litter trained, and if a bun has sore hock issues and needs softer flooring surfaces.

https://bunnyproof.com/best-floor-bunny-enclosure.html
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/what-might-work-as-soft-flooring-for-tricky-buns.104589/
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/oh-jilly-beans-flooring-options.103759/
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/flooring-recommendations.103289/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Housing#Enclosure_Setup
The reality is, you're probably going to end up trying many different things before finding the best set up for your bun. Sometimes it comes down to trying something and seeing whether or not you like how it's working out for the particular needs of your individual rabbit.

The one I linked/have does have small, thin rubber "feet." Although I've used it on hard floor (fake hardwood-type flooring), I would not be confident using it on nice/real hardwood floors or anything that scratches easily -- at least, not without some reinforcement on the rubber feet to make sure they don't fall out or something.

Do you know where to get a rabbit friendly rug? I don't care if it gets pee'd on. I don't want our new wood floors getting destroyed from the pen.

I get mine on clearance from a Wal-Mart type store (Meijers here in Michigan). I like the rubber-backed ones, personally -- a bit more urine protection, and they're anti-slip on non-carpet areas. I suggest getting the rug type that doesn't have "loopy" strands, as those take more damage from rabbits' chewing/pulling.

The one I linked/have does have small, thin rubber "feet." Although I've used it on hard floor (fake hardwood-type flooring), I would not be confident using it on nice/real hardwood floors or anything that scratches easily -- at least, not without some reinforcement on the rubber feet to make sure they don't fall out or something.

I get mine on clearance from a Wal-Mart type store (Meijers here in Michigan). I like the rubber-backed ones, personally -- a bit more urine protection, and they're anti-slip on non-carpet areas. I suggest getting the rug type that doesn't have "loopy" strands, as those take more damage from rabbits' chewing/pulling.
Thanks! I'll look into that. Update on Rocket chewing on the bars: I got him to listen to me. He understands "no" now. Been working on that with him by nudging him every time he does something not okay. He gets it now. Including when he goes to "groom" my blue jeans.

Thanks! I'll look into that. Update on Rocket chewing on the bars: I got him to listen to me. He understands "no" now. Been working on that with him by nudging him every time he does something not okay. He gets it now. Including when he goes to "groom" my blue jeans.
Fair warning... it's been my experience that a rabbit can understand what "no" means but... in their mind, that only applies when you are watching. They have no inclination to "please" their owner like dogs do. They do what they want -- especially when no one is there to stop them.

Fair warning... it's been my experience that a rabbit can understand what "no" means but... in their mind, that only applies when you are watching. They have no inclination to "please" their owner like dogs do. They do what they want -- especially when no one is there to stop them.
Yeah I figured. Lol. They're butts.

FYI I got a fence system via Amazon at the beginning of 2023. It works well, and Ted doesn’t try to chew it at all. I bought 24 panels, but you can buy them in multiples of 8, whatever you need. Each panel is 32”x32” and you can configure it anyway you want. It’s on sale now during Prime Days.

Attachments

• E94CE181-E0A7-4425-A2ED-C329F80D2392.png
    E94CE181-E0A7-4425-A2ED-C329F80D2392.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
FYI I got a fence system via Amazon at the beginning of 2023. It works well, and Ted doesn’t try to chew it at all. I bought 24 panels, but you can buy them in multiples of 8, whatever you need. Each panel is 32”x32” and you can configure it anyway you want. It’s on sale now during Prime Days.
Omg yaaaaz! I'ma look into that.

Rocket has a neuter appointment so I'll get it after that just to make sure he makes it past that hurdle.

Screenshot_20230716_150138_Gallery.jpg
I can't wait for Rocket's new x pen to come in and watch him jump and leap as high and far as his strong bunny legs will let him. That's barely a binky leap from his hay tray.

Note: that litter pan is his "play pen hay tray". His big one is in his "house". Since I put it in, 299 out of 300 poops a day end up in there. (There's always one 🤣) 100% of his pee is in there too.

View attachment 64999
I can't wait for Rocket's new x pen to come in and watch him jump and leap as high and far as his strong bunny legs will let him. That's barely a binky leap from his hay tray.

Note: that litter pan is his "play pen hay tray". His big one is in his "house". Since I put it in, 299 out of 300 poops a day end up in there. (There's always one 🤣) 100% of his pee is in there too.
Where did you get his litter pad from? And how big is the other one? Do you have pictures?

Where did you get his litter pad from? And how big is the other one? Do you have pictures?
The other one is 16×9 inches. It's 1/3 of the size of his cage. I just bought a basic tote bin that's 5 inches deep from Walmart.

The tiny one in the pic is the only size local pet box stores offer and push. "This works for my guinea pig so it'll work for your rabbit since they are both rodents" 🤦‍♀️

I think that pen should work, I have a similar heavy duty one that a previous comment on here said. it's 8 panels and like 38 inches high, and works great.

as for mats, I've gotten two from TokiHut on etsy. they're non slip, washable, and good quality.

Latest posts

Back