Wow, I didn't think it would be so difficult!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be in your shoes next week. My baby is 14y/o. As some may know ( I think I posted it) he won a full scholarship to the air academy in Osh Kosh Wisconsin this summer. He will be 4 hours away from me for 6 days. All 850 dollars are paid for. He had to write an essay and I am soo proud of him. As he is homeschooled we are together ALOT. So now he's excitedly counting the days and I'm dreading the days. He will be that far away with complete strangers. No family no friends nothing. Granted there are only 48 kids per session and it's an awesome thing for him to do as he wants to be a professional pilot but darn it I cry just THINKING about him going. How in the name of heaven am I gonna get away from there without him seeing me bawling like a baby? Plus the thought that he is going to go up in a helicopter and air plane scare the bejeezers out of me (mom's terrified of flying). Wonder if I can valium myself for 6 days? ROFL. To make me feel better grandma and grandpa will be going up 3 days before camp gets over and siteseeing until the day for him to come back and then they will bring him home. So I tell you what Bo I'll pray for you and you pray for me. Cause I know what you're going through.

Also 3 years ago all 3 of my sons (they were then 14, 13 and 11) went to Scout camp 6 hours away. And I think I cried for the whole week they were gone. What am I gonna do when they grow up? Hubby keeps teasing me maybe I needed to have more kids cause I will be a horrid empty nester ROFL.

LMAO! You are all so funny!

Cathy, I think it was the animals! Mine nearly had a cow when we moved 20 minutes from her and when I sent my son to preschool!!!

I'll pray for you nermal..... we're going to be a wreck! but danged if your hubby isn't talking to my hubby! he always wants more kids and he hasn't figured it out that I am 44 andthe baby factory closed awhile back!

Oh boy...... she snuck a phone call to me from her cousin's cell. They aren't supposed to have them but my niece isn't one to follow the rules very well...... THIS IS LONG but it's how the conversations went...

anyhow - Lexi FIRST phoned about 10 pm and told me how they needed waters if we could send some with her aunt tomorrow (she has to go there and take my niece to a meeting tomorrow night and then return with her) and a thicker blanket since it's been so cold at night.

THEN she tells me how Pokie was pretty wound up yesterday. She was good the first night and then decided to hop around when Lexi asked her to lope. THEN she reared up a little and yes Lexi was on her. Now, it's cooler out and the horses are in a new place..... they act like idiots sometimes.

So, the counselor decided to lunge Pokie (put a long lead on her and have her trot and lope in a circle to sort of get her to settle, focus and wear her out just enough to work with her better - it's a common practice and teaching tool)..... They tied her reins to her saddlehorn, bringing her head down a bit and put a halter on her and lunged her.

So, when the counselor asked her to WOAH....... she wouldn't...... so the counselor tugged a bit on the lead.............. and she reared up and flipped over! (pokie's famous move I mentioned in the first post ....... she's done it with me and Luke and now the counselor grrrrr!) I've only recently had to have a chiropractor out for her cause she was sore from the last time she did this. Hubby is ready to shoot Pokie! Lexi is not happy with her but told me she didn't want to tell me cause she knew I'd go balistic! and I sort of did - I was so worried and told her.

Then last night when they rode, she wouldn't lope when asked..... I told Lexi she was probably just sore from her display of brattiness. She also hates this one horse in the group which is unusual. Pokie is mostly a herdy horse who loves the others and thinks she's the alfa mare. She also always finds a nice dark paint or black gelding to flirt with.... no lie - she has a color preference.

MY NIECE's mare, Dakota's 1/2 sister, who is 15 I think and been to camp probably 10 times .... Spent the first evening bucking aroundlike a bronco with my niece on her. My niece split her jeans open during this rodeo event!

SECOND PHONE CALL: Lexi phoned me back to tell me (I had told her aunt and aunt talked to niece) that I was wrong about a chain under her chin while lunging - Pokie didn't have one it was just a rope and it was just Pokie, not the counselor's fault... I knew that but the others got me wrong when I told them....... so she goes on to tell me.....

"Mom, I really hate camp." :cry4:OMG I wanted to run over and get her! but I knew it was the first whole day, she was tired, homesick and her horse was making her nervous (needless to say I was now a freakin' nut thinking about it all).... so I talked to her and calmed her... She also has cramps - joy.

I talked to my sister inlaw again and she said "You know she's ok, right? and this is why they don't want them to have phones." and I told her "Oh yeah, I know and Luke went through this same thing and called me from Space Camp to come and get him.."

Still, :cry2I don't have to like it.

I told Lexi to be really careful and pay attention on Pokie.... she'll be ok and settle in now. I told her that she can tell the counselor that Pokie might be sore and give her some bute (like aspirin) that my niece has - it's mine that I gave them anyhow to use for their horses when they were sore.

Those of you who've mentioned your kids going to camp - DON'T let them phone you! :bawl:and don't let them take their horse! *insert a padded room, straight-jacket smiley here*

Oh Pennie, I'm sorry this is so rough, especiallyon you. You expected all this to happen, so it's nothing to be alarmed at. Lexi will be fine. She wasn't hurt. The horse acted like a brat. Maybe Pokie got it all out of her system now and will settle down. (Silly horse!)

:hugsquish:... to you dear... :inlove:to Lexi and .... :pray:for Pokie that she behaves!

There is a good reason they won't let the kids have cell phones. They have to learn to handle whatever problems come up. Lexi sounds like a level headed kid that will rise to the challange. She'll get Pokie under control and she'll be all the more self confident for her accomplishments. And it's easy for me to say, cause my kid hasn't gone away yet this summer.... but Lexi will work it out.

You should be very proud of her. She handled the situation, she was concerned about the horse, and she was honest with you (didn't blame the counselor...).

Take it day by day and keep busy this week, you'll get through it. (The first 2 days are over...)

Thanks Cathy. I know you are so right..... I just hate it LOL!

SIL is going to take her a comforter and I'm freezing some waters for her to keep in the cooler - they'll last longer and they come home Friday afternoon - I can take a couple when I go to watch her and I hope to remember the camera and little video cam.

I wish they'd let the kids get ice - they aren't supposed to have coolers and they all bring them.... but frozen waters will help that out.

Pokie is always a brat at a new place.. we've broken in a new show arena! YAY! LOL!

:hug:I'm sorry this is so rough. I'm sure by the end of the week she will be sorry to leave and will talk about whata great time she had at horse camp this summer for weeks to come. Sometimes talking to them when they are having a down/tired/crampy/whatever moment, you will get just the negative but I'm sure there is loads of postive that you aren't hearing about. And yeah, that is a good reason for them not to have cell phones I guess, so poor, worried parents don't run back to camp to get them.:?

:pray:pokie is better behaved for the rest of the week.

It is so hard when they say they hate it....John was like that at scout camp....but chose to stay till the end. Now he talks about what a great time he and Kyle had, and how they'll always remember the things that they did that were so funny.

It probably helped Lexi to talk to you...she could vent, then move on. It's also totally mature of her to call back and make sure that you knew the whole truth. What a mature young lady you are raising.

All of that said....it completely S**** to be waiting at home....you're only a day away after today...don't count Friday, cuz you get to see her then....and you can have a stern "heart to heart" with Pokie, too!

Aww, I bet she will be sad to leave though.

Lexi is not happy with her but told me she didn't want to tell me cause she knew I'd go balistic!

How sweet, a real horse lover ;) and how mature she phoned you back to tell you. (I know I wouldnt have if it were me, my brother really would have ran to the site and shot the horse :shock: )

Ah, it must be so scary for you!

To be honest, i've only been on a camp holiday twice. Once i was 9 and the other time i was 10. It was one of the best times of my life, if that makes you feel any better! Going to 'camp' as you say isn't really common practice in the UK. We only have a few companies that do it. I went with one called PGL (Parents Get Lost). The first time it was a week, about 3 hours away from home. I loved it. I didn't know anyone but i was in a room with 2 other girls and we were really close friends. We mainly did things on site but we went out canoeing and stuff a few times.

Second time i went i went on a horse one too. It was a half normal timetable and then you would go off with the other horsey people for the rest of the day. That was more fun.

Honestly don't worry about her (and i can't believe they have PHONES! Thats silly!) By the end of it she won't want to leave! Its a really good experience. I think more people should do it. I will certainly be sending my kids away!

The seconds time i went i shared a room with 5 other girls! At the end of the week we all decided to swap one 'thing' that we treasured with another girl. I still have the headscarf this one girl used to wear everyday! I don't even remember her name (this was almost 8 years ago!)

I don't know if that will help giving you any piece of mind but i think by the end of it all she will not regret it at all! Especially as she has her cousins there too.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Thanks everyone! Yes, I know she's just homesick and all that..... it's just hard.

They aren't supposed to have phones LOL! My niece snuck hers.... it helps that her grandma and aunt run the thing.

My niece messaged me this morning and I asked how things are going. SHe said Pokie is sore and Lexi didn't ride her this morning - she lunged her and did showmanship...... hope she does better tonight.

They ride for 3 hours 2x per day.

Latest posts

Back