Wow, I didn't think it would be so difficult!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Today I took my daughter to camp for the first time. She's only about an hour from me and in the care of people I know and trust along with several others. She has her cousin and 4 of her friends with her...... and her horse. It's a horse camp.

I've been busy getting her ready, getting things done for other events we had this past weekend and really hadn't thought about the fact this was her first time away for this long and not with a family member. Usually she's only gone at a friend's overnight or with her grandma over a weekend.

I guess it's a good thing that she was not concerned when I left.... but I want to cry!!!

My son reminded me that he went to Space Camp in Alabama when he was her age..... it was his first camp as well. I went to Alabama to take him and stayed there the whole week while he was there... then I drove him home (parents took all the kids - I even had a boy we'd never met come with us)...

Anyhow, I love and trust our horse, Pokie, but she is still a horse and they can be unpredictable. Pokie has done a few things that were scary - like rearing up and flipping over when I freaked her out with a chain under her chin.... she's funny about her face.

I'm a worry wart...... she's my baby........ :tears2:

Aww, bless! That's really sweet, and I guess it's natural for you as a mother to worry, even though you know she's in a safe place with trustworthy people...

I hope the week will fly by for you! When is she coming home?

I have to say though, at that age (did you say she's 12, or 13 before? I can't remember), I would have been totally nonchalant about saying goodbye to my mum for a while, and would have acted disgusted had she displayed signs of worry... but secretly I'd be really upset and miss her, and think of the smallest reason to call home any chance I got! :hug:

Jen xx

Aww. That's so sweet. I'm sorry that it's hard for you, but I'm sure Lexi will be okay and that Pokie will take good care of her.

I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts. I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. You're such a good mom and it makes me want to cry because I didn't know that was possible. You know, for someone to be a good mom. Your an inspiration. Don't get me wrong, I know we've had our differences, but I just wanted to let you know that I do think you're a great mom - to your kids, horses, sheep, and bunnies.

I hope it only gets easier for you having Lexi away. But she'll be back in no time and I'm sure she's having a fab time!

Awww Pennie, I know what you're going through... That was me last year.My daughter was 6 hours away. I drove her up there and when it was time to leave, I did... and I came back... and I left.... and I went back. (I'm sure I was embarrassing her!) She was gone for 2 weeks... didn't bother her at all! We weren't allowed to call... just write. Give me back MY BABY!!!!

She's going away again this summer. She's fine with it.... I'll get over it. Keep busy, it'll help. :hug:

Thanks everyone! She's 12 and her friends were all together.... it was really good to see and they all put their cots together and were just having a great time! They'll be exhausted when they come home on Friday! but it's a GREAT facility and her cousin's grandma and aunt are there as counselors also! and I know them well. They live by me, too! (I've alwayssaid we own the town LOL) They are all excellent horsewomen and horsemen working with them. It's really a great thing!

Alexah thank you! I just don't know sometimes.... I always worry and question myself.

Cathy, it's SO hard!! they are always our babies! How old is your daughter, again? I know your son is grown and in college.

That sounds like a wonderful camp! I can remember being that age and spending all my time with horses and horse crazy friends. Your daughter will love it! I expecet she'll get a bit of home sickness too. You're a great mom for letting her have this experience.

Bo, I hope she has a wonderful time! I hope you don't have too bad a time missing and worrying about her, I know how that is.

Just curious, is this something she wanted to do or that she has to do for 4-H or something? (Sorry if that sounds dumb, I've not ever dealt with camps or 4-H.) I've never heard of horse camps, how cool! It's great there are people you trust there along with her friends and cousin, she should feel at home.;)

(I never sent my son to a camp and the only one I contemplated was Boot Camp:p. He's Much better now, thank goodness!)

It IS a wonderful camp at a very new fairgrounds - I'd like to live there myself! LOL!

It's not required but it's offered through 4-H. My bro inlaw's mom and sister run it. There are at least 30 counselors/educators and no more than 100 kids from ages 12 to 19 if they are just out of high school.

She could not WAIT to go to horse camp. She's wanted to go each year and couldn't until she was 12. You should have seen her and her 3 friends....THis isall of their first year!One she has known for a long time - they went to Catholic school together, another she knows from our 4-H club and her mom is a bunny leader! and the third she's known from 4-H but never really got close to her and now they are getting to be good friends! They were all huddled and giggling - which to me was just AWESOME! and then my niece and her crew set up right next to them so they have high school girls who've all been there before which is nice too!

The people who work with them are some of Indiana's best! They work on English or Western riding and showmanship while they are there. They video tape the kids and let them watch themselves riding. It's like intense lessons - they ride 6 hours a day! She has leg-wraps to prevent blisters and Monkey Butt powder LOL! That stuff cracks me up!

They separate the kids into small groups according to riding level/knowledge. But they will all be together other than that.

The entire place is surrounded by counselor's horse trailers and trucks and campers, they have police patrol and some people who just stay and keep watch overnight while the campers sleep - they also keep an eye on the horses. Cool huh?

I never went to camp anywhere! Mom was really over-protective. It's hard for me but I know it's good for her. Luke didn't want to go..... :?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
The entire place is surrounded by counselor's horse trailers and trucks and campers, they have police patrol and some people who just stay and keep watch overnight while the campers sleep - they also keep an eye on the horses.  Cool huh?

Sounds safer then our house lol :biggrin2: hope she has a good time and, she will probably be missing you too, just dosent want to show it ;)

Oh dear, I know exactly how you feel but now I'm so stressed out. My son will be 12 in 3 weeks and he goes to Boy Scout Camp next week and will be 2.5 hours north of usSunday through Saturday. He's never gone to such a long camp and all the cub scout stuff he did, Dad was there too because he was cubmaster. I've been so focused on making sure he was ready to go that I hadn't had any time to do much worrying yet. Oh dear, I better go pack some extra socks and recheck his first aid kit...:shock:

(Not much support for you, sorry. I'm a worry wart too. We will just have to keep extra busy as Blue Giants suggested and hope that time flies!)

Bo, I have two girls and I don't care how old they will ever be, I'll always worry about them! My youngest is now 15... but just the whole idea that she is 6 HOURS away from me! My oldest is 19 and yeah, she's in college (locally), but I still wait up until she gets home from work at night (she works til midnight Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays). Can't help it. Can't sleep until I know she's safe in the house.

Am I being over protective? Maybe. But I let them go... I just want them back.

The camp your daughter is at sounds fabulous. I'm positive she'll have a terrific time and will come back in one piece - albeit a bit tired and sad to have had to leave. I always wanted to go to camp, but was never able to. You'll just have to share tons of stories about her trip so I can live vicariously through her - ha ha! Just kidding, but I really do think it'll be a wonderful time for her and her friends.

I guess you'll just have to keep busy with snorting Bo's fur until she gets home ;). What do you think?!

Luv-Bunniz, it is safe and so nice! You could eat off the floor of the big barn they sleep in!

Kirst...... Oh I feel for you! I am with you on the "more socks" thing.... My daughter was like "MOM! How many freakin' socks do you think I need for 2 feet!?" :?

Cathy - I don't know WHY I always think your oldest is a boy - I remember she was the one who had car trouble or a wreck or something about 6 mos ago maybe? 6 hours was how far Luke was from me during Space Camp IF I hadn't gone..... Space camp is super safe! LOL!

Alexah..... I am laughing cause I just got finished snortin' my Bo and then... gagging cause his scent glands needed cleaned...... He had to go and ruin my snorts.... and then he snorted AT me for turning him over.... :?

EWW! Stinky bunny scent glands! EWW!

Doesn't he know his mama needs to snort a good smelling bun while her kid is away :p?! Silly, stinky, cutie-pie Bo!

I can remember when I was 18 and moved out of my parents house. As I was leaving my mom very sadly asked when she was going to see me again. I told her I'd be over for Thanksgiving. "But that's a whole week away!", she wailed. I guess it was hard on her since I was the first one to leave. I think by the time the last of the other three moved out she was helping them pack the car and changing the locks.

When John went to Scout camp, I was a wreck all week. We kept extra busy, but I still fretted. He had a great time, and earned a bunch of badges. I'm sure your daughter will have a blast, but I also know you'll be thrilled when it's over and she's back in the "nest". I still tease all of my guys that the only time I'm truly happy is when they're all "in the nest"....and mine are 23, 19, and 15....it never ends! I'll be thinking of you this week....

slavetoabunny wrote:
I can remember when I was 18 and moved out of my parents house. As I was leaving my mom very sadly asked when she was going to see me again. I told her I'd be over for Thanksgiving. "But that's a whole week away!", she wailed. I guess it was hard on her since I was the first one to leave. I think by the time the last of the other three moved out she was helping them pack the car and changing the locks.
Lol, I was the FIRST to move out at 19, and my mum and dad just couldn't seem to get rid of me quick enough!

I'm 24 now, and even though I don't live at home, whenever I go anywhere, even if it's just away for the weekend a few hours' drive away, I still have to text to let her know I got there safely! :rollseyes:p

I moved out when I got married (Oct 2005) ....my mom and I talk on the phone EVERY DAY! She wants to move away but stays because I won't move too. :biggrin2:We live 30mins apart. 45 with traffic.

Oh my! I must have been a really bad kid... I was the first to move out and my mom helped me pack and shoved the stuff in my car. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" She couldn't WAIT to get rid of me. (Ya think it was the animals, or the boyfriends on motorcycles?) LOL!

Back